Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jimmy Kimmel may host the 89th Annual Academy Awards?

spence

Saw this item the other day & I personally hope it won't happen!

The story-(on about 5 sites,etc) said that they were interviewing/testing out folks to be the host/mc for the upcoming 2016 *Oscars.

I had long thought they were going with $B.O.$ star Kevin Hart as this yrs host.

Then this came out of the blue?

Needless to say i'm not a fan of Jimmy Kimmel-(NOTE: When I was last in Hollywood-(2005) & just across H. Blvd from the legendary "Grauman's Chinese Theatre"

& a few people said I was leaning up against the bldg. where the shot his late night tv show.

To me, he's just sooo boring!

I easily rank his late night nemises from NBC Jimmy Fallon 10 times as talented as this Jimmy.

& that might be a neat idea, instead to have Fallon as host instead-(WHO AGREES OR DISAGREES?)

& the majority of us annual *Oscar lovers/watchers,etc would love to have BILLY CRYSTAL-(l948-)-( come back!-(think he hosted 8 times)

www.goldderby.com conducted a poll on it's great site & fans actually voted Crystal as A #1 ever at the job.

Despite the fact that the legendary Bob Hope-(l903-2003) hosted an astonishing record of (15 to 18 times!)

& Johnny Carson-(l925-2005) also did a superlative job, does anyone agree?

Among the worst though was Neil Patrick Harris & the yr some genius hired *Oscar victor *Anne Hathaway & James Franco to host the show???

*"The Chairman of the Board: Francis (Albert) Sinatra-(l9l5-98) even co hosted around 1965/66.

& who agrees, I've long thought they shoulda' given Letterman a 2nd go at the job?

THANK YOU

• Like 1

I believe it's already been officially announced that Kimmel will be the Oscar host. I think Jakeem posted about it in the Films of 2016 thread.

As far as a preference, I really don't care, and would rather they minimize the host role to as brief as possible. I would rather the winners be given adequate time for their thank you speeches rather than another half-baked, corny song and comedy act. Speaking of which, there would be an abundance of such if Fallon was hosting, that is, whenever he managed to stop giggling at himself or doing his phony fawning shtick. He's almost as bad as James Corden. And isn't the Oscars on ABC again this year? That would be why they went with Kimmel. You can never pass up cross-promotional opportunities. 

• Like 2

I believe it's already been officially announced that Kimmel will be the Oscar host. I think Jakeem posted about it in the Films of 2016 thread.

As far as a preference, I really don't care, and would rather they minimize the host role to as brief as possible. I would rather the winners be given adequate time for their thank you speeches rather than another half-baked, corny song and comedy act. Speaking of which, there would be an abundance of such if Fallon was hosting, that is, whenever he managed to stop giggling at himself or doing his phony fawning shtick. He's almost as bad as James Corden. And isn't the Oscars on ABC again this year? That would be why they went with Kimmel. You can never pass up cross-promotional opportunities. 

Hey Lawrence, just saw your reply in my e mail inbox & as usual I thank you!

& your probably correct in the ABC VS. NBC connection too.

Recall Fallon almost unrecognizable in the fantastic 2000 release "Almost Famous" ($44m.)???

WHO WOULD YOU RANK AS THE FINEST HOST TO DATE?

They never gave Conan a shot yet either.

I've always strongly felt that whats on the silver-screen is what matters by far the most & not the dresses, gowns, speeches & hosts'

I have nothing against Kimmel or his late night show.  I never DID care much for Fallon though. 

But who hosts the Oscars has long been a crapshoot since Crystal no longer does it and set the bar so high. 

People( TV critics and the like) often complain about the show always overrunning,  and cutting down the time for "thank you" speeches by the winners, who seem to think they HAVE to thank everyone from the Academy down to the girl who handed them a doughnut at the catering table does seem to waste a lot of time.

I don't think eliminating the host altogether would really help.

Sepiatone

WHO WOULD YOU RANK AS THE FINEST HOST TO DATE?

They never gave Conan a shot yet either.

Conan O'Brien would be a great host, but he probably won't get the chance as long as his late-night show is on basic cable. Then again, maybe TBS will get the Oscars deal someday. You never know, you know.

Conan hasn't hosted the Primetime Emmys since 2006. More fallout from his losing "The Tonight Show" gig to Jay Leno. Such a shame!

conan%20standup%20main.JPG

• Like 4

But they certainly have had some worst hosts in 88 YEARS, HUH?

Neil Patrick Harris & I like *Oscar winner *Ann Hathaway, but she was in over her pretty head here!? & her co-star that yr James Franco looks like he can barely stay awake all the time   Only time I thought he was strong as an actor & he was up for Besty Acvtor that very same yr for the tru :( e story  Was the strong (***1/2) "127 Hours" :)

I don't think they ever wanted to take the risk of having all-time great DON RICKLES-(l926-) hosting the entire show, or have they,please let me know ifthey have?

to all, name your candidate's for "THE WORST" *OSCAR HOSTS??? :wub:

& I KNOW MANY ARE GONNA' JUMP DOWN MY THROAT ON THIS-(people seem to either love or hate her)

WHAT ABOUT:   M.A.D.O.N.N.A.???    She's no good at jokes, but neither could Harris, Hugh Jackman & others they chose over the last & incredibally long (88 YEARS!?)   Hell, like I posted before, *Sinatra even threw his fedora in the ring once. ;)   & she can now-(she keeps adding things!!!)

Such as playing anykind of Guitar nowadays! Was actually a DRUMMER before anything back in Bay City, Michigan circa the late 1980's, just before she went to "The Big Apple" in'79-(& don't know if she'd like me writing this, but her welcome to NYC was getting raped at knifepoint!) :angry:

Even starting playing the "Harp" ^ of course her now legendary singing-(won 2 *Oscars for Best Song 1990/96 And deserved a couple more Best O. Song nods. 1986 & 19

& of course her superb "DANCING!"  And my own mohd (Robin E. SHANNON was the shortest NYC Rockett up to that  stage of the game 1962-63.-(& she was 5'2) later also owned her own "Dance Studio" in Delaware. Matter of fact in those days & into the '70's Joe Biden was a regular costumer for the cops, due to drunk driving!

She even got to work out in G. Ballanchine ballet class w/*Shirley MacLaine & the Rockettes had to work out w/the likes of *George Burns, Arthur Godfrey, Ricky Nelson & Carol Channing-(they loved her BIG-TIME!)  So she obviously knows quite a bit about dancing & is no fan of Madonna-(due to other things, besides her marvelous dancing) & always says the now 58yr old is a great dancer & with size '8 feet no less! Madonna went to abouit 3 Dancing Schools & even had time to go to the prestigious black dancing school of "Alvin AIlley!!!"

THANK YOU   Speaking of "THE LADIES" Nobody even mentiones Bette Midler-(l945) as a potential host?

To LawrenceA, check out my below post on this topic.    I've ask a couple others if they'd also enjoy having a TCM 2016 predict the nominees contest & then the winners, are you interested ???

to all, name your candidate's for "THE WORST" *OSCAR HOSTS??? :wub:

Didn't care for Seth MacFarlane's stint as the host of the 85th Academy Awards in 2013. He's an excellent singer with a winning personality, but he's also the creator of "Family Guy." And he brought the Oscars down to the "Family Guy" level more than once.

Didn't care for Seth MacFarlane's stint as the host of the 85th Academy Awards in 2013. He's an excellent singer with a winning personality, but he's also the creator of "Family Guy." And he brought the Oscars down to the "Family Guy" level a couple of times.

The worst Oscar hosts happen when the producers rack their brains to figure out why we didn't tune in to see "La La Land" compete with "Moonlight" and "Jackie", and think it must have been either the fault of the host or the show length.

And then they try to get an "edgy" host to cut out all the musical numbers and make crabby hostile jokes about why the show runs so long...Which die on stage, because he forgot he has to entertain the live folks sitting in the seats in front of him FIRST.

(And they happen to like the movie industry, thank you, so the comic doesn't have that crowd to dive into.)

To answer Spence's, um, question?, the "Worst Oscar Hosts" usually become remembered for one immortal Monday-morning line.

- Ask anyone about David Letterman, and you immediately hear "Uma...Oprah..."  (And if you don't get that joke, like I do, you just don't know your classic comedy sketches.)

- Whoopi Goldberg, because of her gay-pal cronyism with Bruce Vilanch, somehow got a second hosting gig, despite our remembering the first one for "I'm not doin' too good, am I?"

- Chris Rock didn't do too badly on his second gig, because there was the So White idiocy to make fun of, so we'd all forgotten about the first gig, with Best Sound staying in their seats, and Rock going to a cineplex to find out how many more black viewers had seen "Little Man" instead.

- The producers wanted to bring back that cute bit with Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway for an entire show, but Jackman was busy, so we got stuck with James Franco & Anne Hathaway instead:  "(rueful sarcasm) We're the young, hip Oscars!"

And Seth?  The people who liked him only remember him for the Boob Song, the rest of us carved The Lincoln Joke on his tombstone.

(Neil Patrick Harris, who should have realized that the Oscars aren't the Tonys, and that he could leave the snarky industry love-hate at home, must not have 100% flopped, since we don't really remember him for a standout line, except for the booed joke about the Annie remake.)

The worst Oscar hosts happen when the producers rack their brains to figure out why we didn't tune in to see "La La Land" compete with "Moonlight" and "Jackie", and think it must have been either the fault of the host or the show length.

And then they try to get an "edgy" host to cut out all the musical numbers and make crabby hostile jokes about why the show runs so long...Which die on stage, because he forgot he has to entertain the live folks sitting in the seats in front of him FIRST.

(And they happen to like the movie industry, thank you, so the comic doesn't have that crowd to dive into.)

I don't get most of the references but I guess that is my problem I'll have to live with...  Most real comedy succeeds when there is at least an ounce of truth somewhere.  So maybe there should be jokes about how Hollywood has been watered down to appeal to international audiences more than to Americans.  Maybe there should be jokes that lambast political correctness.  Turn Hollywood's current state of thought upside-down by its ears.  You know this wouldn't be comfortable for some if it happened.  But it could.

P.S. I'm not actually planning on watching this.

I don't get most of the references but I guess that is my problem I'll have to live with...  Most real comedy succeeds when there is at least an ounce of truth somewhere.  So maybe there should be jokes about how Hollywood has been watered down to appeal to international audiences more than to Americans.  Maybe there should be jokes that lambast political correctness.  Turn Hollywood's current state of thought upside-down by its ears.  You know this wouldn't be comfortable for some if it happened.  But it could.

P.S. I'm not actually planning on watching this.

But that's the point:  You're NOT WATCHING a host appeal to a TV audience, you're fly-on-the-wall'ing a host trying to entertain a private banquet audience.  

And most of the new comics don't understand that; they try to kiss up to the imagined "frustrated" TV audience, and die with the private banquet audience they were hired to entertain.

Case in point, going back to Whoopi's first flop, in '02--As a feminist/lesbian comic, she'd gone in with whole routines of Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky jokes, which were considered hot at the time...Ouch.  You do NOT do anti-Clinton jokes, Hillary or Bill, with a room full of 500 Hollywood actors.  That's just plain suicide.

Similarly, if you're in a room of Hollywood actors and producers, it's probably equally not a good idea to do jokes about how audiences hate movies and celebrities.  They don't quite go over.  You can do jokes about the frustrations of the industry, or of LA town, or of trends that even producers are starting to hate (like 80's remakes or Twilight sequels), but you don't tell an audience in front of you that everyone hates them and wishes they were out of work.  That's when the audience starts to realize who outnumbers who.

(The good hosts, like Bob Hope, Johnny Carson, Ellen DeGeneres, Steve Martin and Billy Crystal are old-school comic enough to know that a little shmoozing, without being sycophantic, can go a long way--

Any good Billy Crystal line springs to mind as good example:  "There was a line from Unforgiven this year that sympathized with a lot of LA folk in the audience--'I can't die...I was building a house!'"

It's said that the sacred credo of the standup comic is "Nem de Gelt"--Yiddish for "Take the money."

As in, worry about art and truth later, and just concentrate on the room, for the paying gig in front of you.

But that's the point:  You're NOT WATCHING a host appeal to a TV audience, you're fly-on-the-wall'ing a host trying to entertain a private banquet audience.  

And most of the new comics don't understand that; they try to kiss up to the imagined "frustrated" TV audience, and die with the private banquet audience they were hired to entertain.

Case in point, going back to Whoopi's first flop, in '02--As a feminist/lesbian comic, she'd gone in with whole routines of Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky jokes, which were considered hot at the time...Ouch.  You do NOT do anti-Clinton jokes with a room full of 500 Hollywood actors.  That's just plain suicide.

Similarly, if you're in a room of Hollywood actors and producers, it's probably equally not a good idea to do jokes about how audiences hate movies and celebrities.  They don't quite go over.  You can do jokes about the frustrations of the industry, or of LA town, or of trends that even producers are starting to hate (like 80's remakes or Twilight sequels), but you don't tell an audience in front of you that everyone hates them and wishes they were out of work.  That's when the audience starts to realize who outnumbers who.

(The good hosts, like Johnny Carson, Ellen DeGeneres, Steve Martin and Billy Crystal are old-school comic enough to know that a little shmoozing, without being sycophantic, can go a long way--

Any good Billy Crystal line springs to mind as good example:  "There was a line from Unforgiven this year that sympathized with a lot of LA folk in the audience--'I can't die...I was building a house!'"

It's said that the sacred credo of the standup comic is "Nem de Gelt"--Yiddish for "Take the money."

As in, worry about art and truth later, and just concentrate on the room, for the paying gig in front of you.

Now I can watch someone like Billy Crystal.  I think they are just wasting their time with these other recent hosts trying to do comedy.

Whoopi Goldberg has hosted four times. That seems like a lot for someone who was awful. Also, when was she a lesbian, exactly? Her 3 husbands, as well as Ted Danson, Timothy Dalton and Frank Langella would probably be interested in knowing, too. 

Whoopi's frequency of hosting has more to do with her longtime professional friendship with Bruce Vilanch, the rather flaming chief gagwriter for every bad Oscar show you could name for the last thirty years.  (Up to and ending with the disastrous Franco/Hathaway one where, being a Vilanch-written show, Franco came onstage in a Marilyn dress...Oh, did we ever mention that Vilanch wrote the Star Wars Holiday Special?) 

Now, don't tell me you don't remember that lame 90's Whoopi-produced "Hollywood Squares" revival, made just so Whoopi & Bruce could both personally indulge their childhood Paul Lynde memories...

And Whoop's well-known snarky feminist misandry, activism without a cause, race-paranoia and pro-gay sentiments--not to mention her insistence that all her movie characters be rewritten as lesbian after her "love scene" with Demi Moore in Ghost--is more in the undeclared Jodie Foster category of "How much can everyone know it and still not be 'official'?"

A couple of suggestions....how about eliminating the whole show?  Most people can't even remember who the winners were from the previous year - forgettable films and half the time you never heard of the actors and actresses anyway.

How about making the show 1 hour long in total and eliminating all the unfunny skits and so-called jokes (that aren't funny).

How about limiting each speech to no longer than 1 minute - if they continue to speak after their time is up, then the floor opens below them and they fall into the void.

My solution to the Academy Award show is to turn the tv off before it starts and get a good night's sleep.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings