Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ranking 71 Kirk Douglas Movies on His 100th Birthday

Thanks for the timely list! I've always enjoyed Douglas' team up with John Wayne in the 1967 Western "The War Wagon." I particularly like Douglas' colorful, competitive character with a penchant for mounting his horse by jumping onto the saddle.

ww1.gif

• Like 1

ClassicMovieRankings-- Nice work, and thanks for putting the webpage up.  I was surprised "The Arrangement" (1969) made money.  

But your entry for "Mourning Becomes Electra" (1947) is incorrect.  The page says it was nominated for zero Oscars.  Rosalind Russell was nominated for Best Actress for her performance as Lavinia Mannon.  Michael Redgrave was nominated for Best Actor for his portrayal of Orin Mannon.  They were beaten by Loretta Young in "The Farmers' Daughter" and Ronald Colman in "A Double Life", respectively.   

Sources--TCM webpage for "Mourning Becomes Electra" and IMDB.

TCM is showing "Mourning Becomes Electra" during "30 Days of Oscar" in Feb. and March 2017.

• Like 2

Hey jakeem......thanks for checking out my Kirk page.  When I originally wrote this page I did one on his son the same exact day.  I have had fun watching the views come in.....as I wondered who would have the best results....so 5 years later....here are the current results...Kirk 29,302 views...Michael 12,542.....not thinking we will need a recount...lol.

As for War Wagon....love that movie as well.  It would be in my Top 5 Kirk movies...I love how he and Wayne interact. It is a movie I can re-watch all the time. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Mr. Kirk Douglas.

Hey filmlover293.....you are 100% correct...Mourning Becomes Electra did get those 2 Oscar nominations....which I have now corrected on the page.  Thanks for noticing that and bringing it to my attention. Not sure how I missed that especially....since Rosalind Russell was supposed to win the Oscar for that movie....and was really really surprised when Loretta Young's name got called instead of hers.  Thanks for the heads up on when it plays again on TCM.

• Like 1

Hey NipkowDisc.....mmmm....interesting.....well besides Hope and Douglas....George Burns popped into my head....then I drew a blank....so I cheated and did an internet search.....and the results were pretty limited....but Lloyd Nolan and Charles Lane made it too....Nolan and Lane were some pretty good character actors.  Thanks for getting the brain to do some work...it is greatly appreciated.

Hey NipkowDisc.....mmmm....interesting.....well besides Hope and Douglas....George Burns popped into my head....then I drew a blank....so I cheated and did an internet search.....and the results were pretty limited....but Lloyd Nolan and Charles Lane made it too....Nolan and Lane were some pretty good character actors.  Thanks for getting the brain to do some work...it is greatly appreciated.

forgot about burns and nolan? who cares about nolan?

and Charles Lane is beloved to many as a cranky bank president on the lucy show but to me he will always be Mr. Finch on Dennis the Menace. :)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings