Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Lost" RKOs airing in April

The problem is the Hal Roach/Hallmark films, not RKO. My mistake. (I'm the "friend.").For instance, I very much wanted to get the 45-minute Frances Langford musical "All-American Coed" 7:15 am Feb 9th, but it and the following film "Flying with Music" were replaced by "The Sandpiper" on TCM Canada. We are just not getting the newly-resurrected Hal Roach films, which I've never seen. Some of the shorts, the Taxi Boys etc. have also been dropped, but some of those DO air, thankfully. Another huge loss was "Merrily We Live," an MGM film, which M-Mose and I both wanted in the good quality I'm getting from digital cable, but it was not carried. I am glad about the lost RKOs airing though. Good news!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

"Marriage is a business, at least a woman's business."

The above comment by Ann Harding's character in Double Harness is an example of the kind of mask her character attempts to wear in the interest of finding a niche for herself in a pre-code world. Is she perceptive or as full of illusions as her love-besotted sister? When "innocent" playboy William Powell presents her with a gardenia he explains that the flower reminded him of her: "Coolly virginal, yet exquisitely inviting." Little does Bill know that she has plans for him to be the fly, while she's decided to try to be just a little spidery around the edges.

doubleharness.JPG

It might be of interest to those of you who haven't had a chance to see this film that the "lost" RKO feature that has resurfaced within the last year on TCM is now available in its entirety at the TCM media room, found here.

Starring Ann Harding & William Powell and directed by John Cromwell, I enjoyed the interplay between Ann & Bill as well as some of the points about how not to conduct a liaison, (that is, until the script nearly falls into an episode of "wife knows best").

If you go to the TCM link above, look on the left side of the screen. You'll find Double Harness perched between the trailers for Closely Watched Trains & The Heavenly Body.