Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RIP John Glenn

Sepiatone

The first U.S. astronaut to orbit Earth has taken his voyage to the "final frontier" last night at age 95.

I still remember how cool it was that a TV was rolled into the classroom at my school so that we could witness that history.

Rest in peace, sir.  You did indeed have "The right stuff".

Sepiatone

• Like 2

Speaking of "The Right Stuff," if Senator Glenn had been as charismatic as Ed Harris (pictured below) portrayed him in Philip Kaufman's 1983 historical drama, he'd have been president for sure! Nonetheless, Glenn was one of the greatest of American heroes.

tumblr_lofbenyhWO1qfexrno1_500.gif

• Like 2

By the way, actor Glen Powell (pictured below) portrays Glenn in the upcoming film "Hidden Figures," the true story of the African-American women -- NASA mathematicians played by Taraji P. Henson, Octavia Spencer and Janelle Monáe -- who were early contributors to America's space program. The picture also stars Kevin Costner, Kirsten Dunst and Jim Parsons. 

636065580424635943-DF-04856-R2.jpg

• Like 2

By the way, actor Glen Powell (pictured below) portrays Glenn in the upcoming film "Hidden Figures," the true story of the African-American women -- NASA mathematicians played by Taraji P. Henson, Octavia Spencer and Janelle Monáe -- who were early contributors to America's space program. The picture also stars Kevin Costner, Kirsten Dunst and Jim Parsons. 

636065580424635943-DF-04856-R2.jpg

Thanks for posting this ... looks interesting, and I will make a point to see it when it's released. I'm grateful that several good movies about mathematicians have been released over the last few years, and we're not shown as weirdos.

• Like 1

It seems just like yesterday that this then 9 y/o was sitting with my classmates inside our elementary school's cafeteria watching a portable B&W television showing John Glenn's historic lift off from Cape Canaveral.

(...as that man from NASA Control told him that day, "Godspeed, John Glenn")

• Like 1

(...as that man from NASA Control told him that day, "Godspeed, John Glenn")

It was Glenn's fellow Mercury astronaut, M. Scott Carpenter, who said that. He became the second American to orbit the Earth in May, 1962 -- three months after Glenn's flight.

120220015900-glenn-carpenter-nasa-story-

Glenn and Carpenter

• Like 1

It was Glenn's fellow Mercury astronaut, M. Scott Carpenter, who said that. He became the second American to orbit the Earth in May, 1962 -- three months after Glenn's flight.

120220015900-glenn-carpenter-nasa-story-

Glenn and Carpenter

That's right. I had forgotten that, jakeem.

(...thanks for the clarification)

Thanks for posting this ... looks interesting, and I will make a point to see it when it's released. I'm grateful that several good movies about mathematicians have been released over the last few years, and we're not shown as weirdos.

No problem! Speaking of math whizzes, I'm curious to see how multi-Emmy Award winner Jim Parsons plays head NASA engineer Paul Stafford in the film. He's so identified with Dr. Sheldon Cooper of "The Big Bang Theory," it'll be interesting to see what he comes up with!

3A74D71300000578-0-image-m-16_1479347968

Parsons and Kevin Costner play key NASA supervisors in "Hidden Figures"

• Like 1

No problem! Speaking of math whizzes, I'm curious to see how multi-Emmy Award winner Jim Parsons plays head NASA engineer Paul Stafford in the film. He's so identified with Dr. Sheldon Cooper of "The Big Bang Theory," it'll be interesting to see what he comes up with!

Well jakeem, it's probably a sure bet there won't be any scene in this movie where his character is called upon to complain about having to "perform coitus" with his girlfriend or wife, anyway.   ;)

• Like 1

I don't think he'll be shouting any "Bazingas."

• Like 2

Yes, I haven't yet read through this entire post. BUT, WANT TO SEE HOW MANY OF MY FELLOW TCM-ITES ALSO HAS NOT ONLY SEEN THE MAGNIFICENT 1983 "THE RIGHT STUFF" ($23 million domestically is all it made) & a long, but never boring space epic-(I even slightly rate it over the much more famous & popular *Tom Hanks/*Ron Howard space epic from 1995 "Apollo 13" (grossed $172m.) (***1/2) Now it was 2hrs, but "RS" is 183min.

& VS. *"TERMS OF ENDEARMENT" that *Oscar year-(swept 5 including BP) ($108m.)

"THE RIGHT STUFF" did get to take home "statuettes" for Best 0. Score-(*Bill Conti; also his sole victory to date)

Best Film Editing

Best Sound & Sound effects Editing

& who also recalls Glenn simultaneously made more waves, when he announced his campaign for President of the United States-(obviously he flopped & I think it was early too?  Because of course RONALD (Wilson) REAGAN-(l9ll-2004) BECAME OUR 40th PRESIDENT AGAIN FOR 1984/85.

& it's now hard to image that Ed Harris as John Glenn was ignored?  AKA "Dudley Do right" Plus, he portrayed a 180 degree character in '83's powerful "Under Fire" too!  For these that don't remembrer it starred Nick Nolte & *Gene Hackman & took place in Nicaragua. Many films during that period were political took polace in "Hot" places such as "Missing" (l982), "Year of Living Dangerously" ('83), "Salvador" (l986) & others.

(P.S. The one actor that was up for Best Supporting Actor for the "RS" & as many claimed after that yrs *Academy Awards were announced was Sam Shepard as Check Yeagar.   AKA: As Quaid's character "GordY" Cooper almost was in the verge of saying, Yeagar had the real "Right Stuff"

THANK YOU

• Like 1

That flight happened just FIVE MONTHS before my ELEVENTH  birthday, punk!  ;)  And Mr. Cuzzo, my grade school's principlal HIMSELF rolled the TV into my classroom!

Sepiatone

SEPIATONE,  nice little story.  (Many still actually believe the 1969 Moon Landing was fake?)-(on that note, another fine space film was 1978's "Capricorn 0ne" (***) & staring James Brolin, Sam Waterston & believe it or not O.J.  & another powerhouse score by *J. Goldsmith.

But then & again many still strongly feel Elvis is still running around "Alive" He'd be almost 83 now.

& don't know your conspiracy theories?-(I actually only believe in one & I'm also a huge history buff) & that is of course the granddaddy of them all November 7th, 1963 in Dallas, Texas & JFK!

I've studied the legendary Abraham Zaprudor-(man, did that fella' get $rich$ huh) over, over & over-(8 times in a row & up close on this very computer a few days back) & to me yes, there is no way shape in hell, that John F. Kennedy-(l9l7-63) did not have more than 1 "Shooter" firing at the man-(another fellow "Irish" by the way)  However & we are off topic for just a minute, thought not really metaphorically, due to all the movies that have also tried to cover the crime of the century!  & I bet if there had never been that color Zapruder film, there would have hardy ever have been a controversy at all.  I think *Stone's 1991 "JFK" ($70m.) (***1/2) is a terrifically made motion picture, but don't agree with it's theories myself) It won *Oscars for Best Cinematography & it's phenomenal Editing.

JAKEEM, YOU DID IT AGAIN WITH HARRIS' LIKELY BEST SEQUENCE   & THERE WAS A NEAT YET PROBABLY PLANNED CONNECTION BY *RON HOWARD CASTING HIM AS A FMR ASTRONAUT IN HIS "APOLLO 13"

I think the very first time I saw Harris was in a brief segment of '82's "Creepshow" (**)

Of his *AMPAS nominations to date:

1. "Apollo 13" (l995) ($172m.) (lost Best S. Actor *Gold to *Kevin Spacey as Kezer Sousa in "The Usual Suspects")

2. "The Truman Show" (l998) ($126m,.) (***1./2) (s. actor shot again & most pundits including me predicted he'd "Walk Down-the-Aisle" for this one, but Hollywood got sentimental again & voted 1st time contender *James Coburn in "Affliction" the winner)

3. "****" (2000) ($7m.) (3 & 1/2) (His 1st leading nom. td & possibly his greatest triumph as an actor yet!)

& 4th "The Hours" (2002) ($45m.) (***) (3rd supporting shot to date)

THANK YOU AGAIN

Speaking of "The Right Stuff," if Senator Glenn had been as charismatic as Ed Harris (pictured below) portrayed him in Philip Kaufman's 1983 historical drama, he'd have been president for sure! Nonetheless, Glenn was one of the greatest of American heroes.

tumblr_lofbenyhWO1qfexrno1_500.gif

Do you ever check out FB?  I know it's rather gossipy & such, but they have a hue amount of fellow cinephiles on variots FB pages, just like us

Among reasons I ask is, I haven't had chance to see it today as yet & this image you chose would be pergfect for the "MAIN INTERNATIONAL HOME PAGE" & PLUS< (TCM (FANATICS A CELEBRATION OF HOLLYWOODS GOLDEN AGE)

• Like 1

Do you ever check out FB?  I know it's rather gossipy & such, but they have a hue amount of fellow cinephiles on variots FB pages, just like us

Among reasons I ask is, I haven't had chance to see it today as yet & this image you chose would be pergfect for the "MAIN INTERNATIONAL HOME PAGE" & PLUS< (TCM (FANATICS A CELEBRATION OF HOLLYWOODS GOLDEN AGE)

JUST MISSIN' THE SOUND & THAT MAGNIFICO SCORE!!!   SOOO MANY HEAVYWEIGHT SCENES IN IT TOO-(involving Yeagar/Shepard,Quaid sleeping,etc) & THE LADIES AS WELL< ESPECIALLY  BARBARA HERSHEY-(l948-)

JAKEEM, YOU DID IT AGAIN WITH HARRIS' LIKELY BEST SEQUENCE   & THERE WAS A NEAT YET PROBABLY PLANNED CONNECTION BY *RON HOWARD CASTING HIM AS A FMR ASTRONAUT IN HIS "APOLLO 13"

Harris has a third bigtime space movie on his résumé. He was the voice of Mission Control in Alfonso Cuarón's 2013 smash "Gravity."

Harris has a third bigtime space movie on his résumé. He was the voice of Mission Control in Alfonso Cuarón's 2013 smash "Gravity."

Gpood oing again! I know about his very brief voice in the sci-fi masterpiece & science-fiction is far from being among my fav. genre's, but a few of course truly stand out BIG-TIME!

"200l" is of course considered the "Citizen Kane" of this film genre!  as I wrote in the past Siskel always chose it as his "Desert island Film" & unlike roger Gene didn't enjoy listing his favourite flix for some reason?

On the other hand Ebert always had a top ten favs compilation that stretched easily into a dozen or more When pressed duromh jos foimal interview w/Letterman. He firmly said "KANE" & Ebert seemed like the only moviebuff,etc that would choose Mitchum as his fav. star.

& both always picked *Ingrid Bergman. (TRIVIA: *Spence once said she was the best actress he ever worked with, except one)

A few other all-time science-fiction heavyeweights:

"Close Encounters of the Third Kind" (l977)-(I'm among chosen few that always thought it better then "SW")

"Gravity" (& although of course nommed a 2nd time *Sandra may be a bit taken for granted in her incredible role, where she had to carry everything!)

"The Thing (From Another World" (l95l) (& nobody can convince me Hawks didn't also helm this scary masterpiece. It's just like his classics :Red River" ":0nly Angels Have wings" & more, especially in it's dialogue)

"Metropolis" (27-German) (many insist even the likes of a then only 30yr old Madonna & her later famous director, were not influenced by it in her video  of "Express Yourself")

"A Clockwork 0range"{ (l97l)

"The Empire Strikes Back"-(like many I rate this dark version as the best)

"Alien" (l979) & "Aliens" (l986)

"War of the Worlds" (l953 & 2006)

"ST: Franchise"

& of course more.

Theres a fine line between Science-fiction & fantasy though:

"E.T.; the Extra-Terrestrial"

"Lord of the Rings: Trilogy"&  lot's ,more!

"

"

& *Clooney once again plays it cool

Unfortunately, Natalie's likely biggest mess of a movie was '79's dud "Meteor"(*1/2)

& she can be found on a few interviews-(youtube) really giving it her all in promoting it.

Because no matter what she was such a "PRO!"

Gpood oing again! I know about his very brief voice in the sci-fi masterpiece & science-fiction is far from being among my fav. genre's, but a few of course truly stand out BIG-TIME!

"200l" is of course considered the "Citizen Kane" of this film genre!  as I wrote in the past Siskel always chose it as his "Desert island Film" & unlike roger Gene didn't enjoy listing his favourite flix for some reason?

On the other hand Ebert always had a top ten favs compilation that stretched easily into a dozen or more When pressed duromh jos foimal interview w/Letterman. He firmly said "KANE" & Ebert seemed like the only moviebuff,etc that would choose Mitchum as his fav. star.

& both always picked *Ingrid Bergman. (TRIVIA: *Spence once said she was the best actress he ever worked with, except one)

A few other all-time science-fiction heavyeweights:

"Close Encounters of the Third Kind" (l977)-(I'm among chosen few that always thought it better then "SW")

"Gravity" (& although of course nommed a 2nd time *Sandra may be a bit taken for granted in her incredible role, where she had to carry everything!)

"The Thing (From Another World" (l95l) (& nobody can convince me Hawks didn't also helm this scary masterpiece. It's just like his classics :Red River" ":0nly Angels Have wings" & more, especially in it's dialogue)

"Metropolis" (27-German) (many insist even the likes of a then only 30yr old Madonna & her later famous director, were not influenced by it in her video  of "Express Yourself")

"A Clockwork 0range"{ (l97l)

"The Empire Strikes Back"-(like many I rate this dark version as the best)

"Alien" (l979) & "Aliens" (l986)

"War of the Worlds" (l953 & 2006)

"ST: Franchise"

& of course more.

There's a fine line between Science-fiction & fantasy though:

"E.T.; the Extra-Terrestrial"

"Lord of the Rings: Trilogy"&  lot's ,more! & trust me, check out some of those advertised in the "BOX"

"

"

& trust me & try & catch some of those utterly amazing clips-(from youtube) in the upcoming attractions box listed & each time you watch one, mkore are shown & advertised

• Like 1

3A74D71300000578-0-image-m-16_1479347968

Parsons and Kevin Costner play key NASA supervisors in "Hidden Figures"

With all the other potential 2016 *Oscar contenders being released, I may not be able to checkout Hidden, Figures" myself. But, I know a fellow moviefan that's is just nuts about anything that 2 time *Oscar winner: *Kevin Costner-(l955-) does &* it's my mother BIG-TIME! Her A #1 movie star ever though is & always has been: *CAGNEY! When I was little in the early to mid 1970's the only B & W movies shed even watch were his & for a reason that still escapes her even: Shirley Temple-(l928-2014) pictures? My theory on *Jim is he will always appear contemporary & not dated like many of the early actors left over from the silent era. PLUS, of course he was another fellow dancer.As for *Costner, she's been a huge fan & follower ever since his grand moviemaking crime-drama from '87 "The Untouchables" ($76m.) & she never really cared for *Connery either until that superb role as Jimmy Malone. That & catching the magnificent 1975 Rudyard Kipling adventure "The Man who would Be King" did the trick, with he & *Michael Caine **** Danny & Peachy.

WHAT MOTION PICTURE, HUH!? & once again the *Academy should be ashamed in almost totally ignoring it for '75!!!

But, within the last 20yrs or so *Kevin's films fail to do well anymore with $ticket buyers$ Most generally only ranking in $$$ in the teens thesdays. Technically his biggest hit though is a trick question. It's the "Man of Steel" raking in well over %$210 million

THANKS

"O WORLD WHAT A BEAUTIFUL LIGHT"

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings