Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

90 year old Gary Cooper Scrapbook

Hi all,

Not sure where this kind of post belongs so I'll just post in general discussions and hope it's the right place :P

Back in 2007 I came across a 90 year old Gary Cooper scrapbook. It was started back in 1927, the beginning of Gary's career, and it contains authentic letters written to/from Paramount, pictures, newspaper clippings, ads, movies stubs, etc. The woman who made this scrapbook collected all of this over a span of 34 years; the book ends in 1961, the year of his death.

A lot of dedication, love and detail went into this book and I'm really not sure what to do with it. It's in pretty good condition for being 90 years old; I feel like it's worth some money and should probably be in a museum somewhere but I'm not sure who to take it to to get it appraised. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

As an antique restorer & "dealer", it's my opinion you should contact an auction house that specializes in "Hollywood" memorabilia.

They will do all the advertising for you & your item will be marketed to your target audience. They take a percentage of the selling price as a "fee". You can always put a reserve on it if you're looking for a minimum amount.

But I know from experience you can advertise an item in trade magazines & stores for years without a nibble. If you're serious about selling it, let an expert do the work for you.

Reminds me of a scrapbook once given me to sell. Some guy made a model of Hollywood in the 30's or 40's and publicly displayed it. The scrapbook had newspaper clippings of course, but was also FULL of old Hollywood stars hand written comments & autographs. I recall only Gloria Swanson's signature because I too have her autograph.

But I remember it was just loaded with golden era star's autographs, like Cooper's, Norma Shearer, Judy Garland & the like. Wonder if the owner ever sold it?

Hi all,

Not sure where this kind of post belongs so I'll just post in general discussions and hope it's the right place :P

Back in 2007 I came across a 90 year old Gary Cooper scrapbook. It was started back in 1927, the beginning of Gary's career, and it contains authentic letters written to/from Paramount, pictures, newspaper clippings, ads, movies stubs, etc. The woman who made this scrapbook collected all of this over a span of 34 years; the book ends in 1961, the year of his death.

A lot of dedication, love and detail went into this book and I'm really not sure what to do with it. It's in pretty good condition for being 90 years old; I feel like it's worth some money and should probably be in a museum somewhere but I'm not sure who to take it to to get it appraised. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

I doan know. I have some celebrity autographs but I suspect they ain't worth much and the signatories are all deceased.

I got Dean Martin, Dom Deluise and Eva Gabor who was nice enough to also write "Lisa" for her green acres character.

I also have a victorian era 3-draw brass nautical telescope that may be worth a few hundred.

maybe you can get a few thou for that coop scrapbook. :)