Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who saw 2 superb TCM documentaries? Both are "MUST SAVES!"

spence

(*-indicates ACADEMY AWARD winner)    This topic was just brought ti my mind because TCM re-aired one of these 2 somewhat companion piece 2hr special/docu's about 3 days ago & re-watching it again-9i must have watched it over a dozen times since first taping it maybe a decade ago)

IT'S TITLE:  "1939: HOLLYWOODS GREATEST YEAR" 7 I say it's a companion pc or a sequel of sorts, because it was produced by our fav. network, had many of the same moviebuffs interviewed: Leonard Maltin, Jeanne Basinger, Janet Maslin-(whom I can't handle though!), Thomas Schatz-(all should pay attention to this guy,he was the author of the other one. A must-have & save book titled: "THE GENIUS OF THE SYSTEM"-(think it was on around 09 to 2010) & the book is just perfect for "Hollywoods Golden Age & Studio-System" fanatics like us. really breaks down every little thing about that glorious era, maps,etc on Tinsel-Town back then & literally anything else you would want to know-circa 1920-25 through 1960-65)  & "1939" also breaks these things down almost with even more depth. :)

& quite a number of the then still living actors, directors, writers & the rest are interviewed.

So, please first let me know if your familar w/these 2 movie books & if you've already added them to your collection?

THANX ;)  :o

(*-indicates ACADEMY AWARD winner) 

....OHHHhhh!  We've been trying to figure that out for months, and thought you were just nuts.

This being a Warner channel, think the 1939: Greatest Year documentary was already made for a Blu-ray collection (since Warner doesn't think they can sell classic movies on mainstream retail unless Oz, GWTW, Robin Hood, Singin' or Casablanca is involved):

https://www.amazon.com/Golden-Year-Classic-Films-1939/dp/B00UJQCPF8/

....OHHHhhh!  We've been trying to figure that out for months, and thought you were just nuts.

This being a Warner channel, think the 1939: Greatest Year documentary was already made for a Blu-ray collection (since Warner doesn't think they can sell classic movies on mainstream retail unless Oz, GWTW, Robin Hood, Singin' or Casablanca is involved):

https://www.amazon.com/Golden-Year-Classic-Films-1939/dp/B00UJQCPF8/

Do you recall these 2? If there's not a companion pc. book for the 1939 one, there certainly should be-(I just rewatched it a few days ago on vhs about 5 times, it's so marvelous!)

& "Genius of the System" has both a book-(Thomas Schatz who's on both) & was also a TCM special

(P.S. However, head over heels-(& I actually love watching these shows & clips even over an actual movie most of the time)

My top 3 most valued are:

1st place by far "Moguls & Movie Stars"-(have it as a gift on dvd & 7pts) Even the lil' holder it comes in is superb, like a booklet of sorts)

2. "The Spencer Tracy: Legacy" (l986-PBS)(most reading this have probably seen this utterly superb documentary on *Tracy, hosted by *Kate Hepburn & even from M-G-M. Sadly, many of the places she's walking around-(except for*Thalberg bldg.) are typically also gone by now???)

3. "M-G-M: When the Lion Roars" (1992 & originally aired on PBS, obviously there was no TCM yet) (Sadly, most interviewed on the 3hr docu are by now gone though. Patrick Stewart hosts)

& 4th may possibly be "1939: Hollywoods Greatest Year" or "Genius of the System"

Probaboly my first epic docu I ever taped-(early '80's) was "LIFE: Goes to the Movies"-(& has an even more famous companion book)

Sure had thought more woulda' recalled these though?

VERY STRANGE

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings