Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Uniquely "Old Movie Experience" You'd Like to Have

speedracer5

One of the reasons I like old films is that they are a snapshot into a different time.  Having been born in 1984, pretty much any film that takes place prior to the 1980s is an interesting insight into how things used to be.  The attitudes, traditions, etc. in films from the 1930s and 1940s are especially interesting because they are so different from what I had directly experienced as a child coming of age in the 1990s.  Even if the film itself is meh, it is in itself a history lesson, which I find very interesting.  

In many 1930s and 1940s films, the characters will go to a big ritzy club where they'll listen to a live orchestra, dance and drink champagne.  I would love to get dressed up in my evening best, hear a fantastic big band orchestra and dance the night away.  

What types of "it only happens in old movies" experiences would you like to have?

• Like 5

Speedy:

You have hit upon one of my favorite fantasies about "living" in a 1930's/1940's movie  --  the nightclub with the orchestra and the wonderful banquettes!  Even the most downscale films seem to show this scenario.  Every time I see one of these scenes I want to jump right in and be there.

My other favorite scenario is the "Beautiful People Party" where everyone is dressed amazingly and invariably, someone is playing the piano and someone jumps in and sings while everyone stands around to enjoy.  I want to be that singer!!!

Lydecker

• Like 6

You've hit upon one of MY fantasies, the nightclub with those little lamps on each table and such.

I also always wanted to at least TRY travelling by train and eating in the dining car, and sleeping in one of those bunks in "sleeper cars"  like you see in SOME LIKE IT HOT. 

Being born in 1951, I can still remember all the neat little coffe shops and clothing stores and barber shops in the lobby of the MICHIGAN CENTRAL train station on Michigan Ave. in Detroit.  It's still there, but closed down in '88, and just a hollow shell that people 'round here STILL have some hope of being restored.  But I was told that in the '30's and '40's, many people would go there just to hang out, not neccesarily waiting for a train or someone to arrive.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

You've hit upon one of MY fantasies, the nightclub with those little lamps on each table and such.

I also always wanted to at least TRY travelling by train and eating in the dining car, and sleeping in one of those bunks in "sleeper cars"  like you see in SOME LIKE IT HOT. 

Being born in 1951, I can still remember all the neat little coffe shops and clothing stores and barber shops in the lobby of the MICHIGAN CENTRAL train station on Michigan Ave. in Detroit.  It's still there, but closed down in '88, and just a hollow shell that people 'round here STILL have some hope of being restored.  But I was told that in the '30's and '40's, many people would go there just to hang out, not neccesarily waiting for a train or someone to arrive.

Sepiatone

Hmmmmm...so kind'a like at any Starbucks location today, eh Sepia?! 'Cept of course, nobody had iPads back then, huh. ;)

Now, let's see here. What old movie scenario/scene would I like to be magically transported into here?

AH, I've got it!

I can imagine enjoying myself immensely while singing a rousing chorus of "Auld Lang Syne" standing next to a Christmas tree in immediate post-WWII America...and while everybody in my little town is throwing money into a big pot for me 'cause they had heard I was in some kind'a big financial trouble.

(...well, THAT kind'a thing probably doesn't happen much in real life anymore, RIGHT?!...if it ever did, of course)

;)

• Like 4

I can imagine enjoying myself immensely while singing a rousing chorus of "Auld Lang Syne" standing next to a Christmas tree in immediate post-WWII America...and while everybody in my little town is throwing money into a big pot for me 'cause they had heard I was in some kind'a big financial trouble.

Today, I think that is referred to as making a "Go Fund Me" page on Facebook.

• Like 2

Today, I think that is referred to as making a "Go Fund Me" page on Facebook.

Hmmmm...ya know Rich, come to think of it there might be some similarity of theme here, huh.

(...and besides, who says ya can't sing a rousing chorus of "Auld Lang Syne" while watchin' all that money rollin' in to ya on Facebook, RIGHT?!)

;)

Speedy:

You have hit upon one of my favorite fantasies about "living" in a 1930's/1940's movie  --  the nightclub with the orchestra and the wonderful banquettes!  Even the most downscale films seem to show this scenario.  Every time I see one of these scenes I want to jump right in and be there.

My other favorite scenario is the "Beautiful People Party" where everyone is dressed amazingly and invariably, someone is playing the piano and someone jumps in and sings while everyone stands around to enjoy.  I want to be that singer!!!

Lydecker

I was thinking of a scene and than I read your post.   My scene is very similar to your 'other favorite scenario'.   Being a musician I would be playing in a small combo and Ava comes up and wants to sing a few songs.   Kind of like the movie scene from The Killers (but only that scene, ha ha!).    Oh, and from a musical POV I would want the singer to be Judy but I'm also thinking about the after party party.

• Like 3

I was thinking of a scene and than I read your post.   My scene is very similar to your 'other favorite scenario'.   Being a musician I would be one playing in a small combo and Ava comes up and wants to sing a few songs.   Kind of like the movie scene from The Killers (but only that scene, ha ha!).    Oh, and from a musical POV I would want the singer to be Judy but I'm also thinking about the after party party.

OMG! Believe it or not here James, but before I decided to go with that whole IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE thing down there, my first thoughts went to some scenario in which I could somehow interact with Ava Gardner!

I kid you not!

(...what's that old saying about "great minds" again?)

I could put together an establishment like that.  I used to do things like this in the past at somebody else's establishment.  It amounted to more of a 1960s vibe though.  If I am to have another go at this, I just need to win a lottery so that this place is mine.  On second thought I just need to meet someone new who has already assumed the risk of running a business and wants to do things up once in a while.  No, I need to win a lottery in order to do that.  Most owners of places these days are too headstrong to delegate and allow somebody else to come in and completely turn their place upside-down for the night.

Hmmmmm...so kind'a like at any Starbucks location today, eh Sepia?! 'Cept of course, nobody had iPads back then, huh. ;)

The only problem is that people would try to use it like a Starbucks.  Back when I did this, people mostly had flip phones that magically stayed in their pockets, Blackberries were in use, and Andriods hadn't quite come out yet.  Most people didn't stand around looking down towards the ground at their phone, or stare off into space at their phone like a bunch of "pwned" zombies yet.

Speedy:

Lydecker

Easy enough to roll Johnny Green and some other players out from backstage.  Must have been wonderful.

• Like 1

Being a musician I would be playing in a small combo and Ava comes up and wants to sing a few songs.   Kind of like the movie scene from The Killers (but only that scene, ha ha!).    Oh, and from a musical POV I would want the singer to be Judy but I'm also thinking about the after party party.

You certainly don't want to be a musician with Sweet Sue's Band with virtuoso Sugar (Marilyn Monroe) as the singer!

• Like 2

Well. since I NEVER patronize ANY Starbuck's, I have to ask.....

Are you sayin' they have BARBER SHOPS and CLOTHING STORES in those Starbuck's places?    ;) 

And Newsstands that sell cigarettes, cigars and magazines?

Sepiatone

I'd like to spend a week or two in one of those big city fleabag

hotels that catered to unsavory characters and where the

desk clerk didn't ask too many questions, and the linen was

changed every other week. Some rotgut whiskey, cheap dames,

and a volume of Smollett to help pass the time. But nix on the big

neon sign blinking on and off right outside the window.

• Like 2

I concur with hanging out in swanky nightclubs, especially with some of the floor shows they had. I could swill gin with Nick and Nora, or cavort around the dancefloor with Ginger, Cyd or Rita. I also like the idea of being invited to cocktail or dinner parties at some penthouse, and partake and imbibe with the other attendees. All of this is a big reason why I love classic movies.

• Like 4

How about one of those old "soda fountains" like you see in old movies where "soda jerks" would sometimes toss scoops of ice cream over their shoulders and catch them in serving cup?  Or one with a Soda jerk" at all?

NOW all you get is some high school aged girl with a thick Middle East accent trying to decipher which FLAVOR of ice cream you're asking for.

Sepitone

• Like 1

I concur with hanging out in swanky nightclubs, especially with some of the floor shows they had. I could swill gin with Nick and Nora, or cavort around the dancefloor with Ginger, Cyd or Rita. I also like the idea of being invited to cocktail or dinner parties at some penthouse, and partake and imbibe with the other attendees. All of this is a big reason why I love classic movies

I agree with the above scenarios, however the one I would like most is the transcontinental train ride including the private compartment, the dining car and the club car.  I like the club car scenario the best...with my hat, my suit and my fox stole.  Oh yes, add Cary Grant or Humphrey Bogart to the mix and I am ready for my 5 day trip. 

• Like 5

I agree with the above scenarios, however the one I would like most is the transcontinental train ride including the private compartment, the dining car and the club car.  I like the club car scenario the best...with my hat, my suit and my fox stole.  Oh yes, add Cary Grant or Humphrey Bogart to the mix and I am ready for my 5 day trip. 

I've always wanted to ride on one of those transcontinental trains like in North By Northwest-- I'd prefer a romantic train ride-- sans the murders or fires or anything like that.  Definitely no hunting club like in The Palm Beach Story--what a nightmare that would be.  I too, would also need the private compartment, with my own private bath and shower.  I would also like access to a dining and club car.  I would wear a traveling suit with one of those hats (though most ladies hats back then seemed to be more like hair accessories, as they are too small to provide any real warmth to the head, lol) with a big feather.  If I didn't have a feather, then I want a hat with a blusher.  Then, since I suppose I can't wear my comfy flat TOMS shoes with the ensemble, I'll have to settle for some sturdy low heels so I don't fall on my face while moving around on the train.  I'll move about the club car with a martini or Manhattan in hand, looking for some eye candy to dine with.  I'll spot Errol Flynn at a corner table, shrouded in a cloud of cigarette smoke and drinking two fingers of bourbon, on the rocks.  Even though I think smoking is gross and it'd normally be a deal breaker, I'd sidle up next to him and spend the rest of the evening listening to hilarious stories from raconteur Flynn.  We'd dance, dine, drink and ... 

::Swoon::

Thank goodness The Adventures of Robin Hood is on right now! 

• Like 2

How about an old movie GOING experience?

I miss the ushers that would help people find seating if the theater was dark while playing the previews.  Even though when I was a kid they were usually self important 16 year olds who bossed us littler kids around like some kind of "road show" Sgt. Schultz.

I miss the old Japanese lady who ran the concession counter in the PARK THEATER when I was a kid.  She had the warmest smile I can remember, and ALWAYS had it on her face.  EVERY kid who went to the show just LOVED her.  Never did learn her name.

I for one, wouldn't complain if they brought CARTOONS and NEWSREELS back.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

How about an old movie GOING experience?

I miss the ushers that would help people find seating if the theater was dark while playing the previews.  Even though when I was a kid they were usually self important 16 year olds who bossed us littler kids around like some kind of "road show" Sgt. Schultz.

I miss the old Japanese lady who ran the concession counter in the PARK THEATER when I was a kid.  She had the warmest smile I can remember, and ALWAYS had it on her face.  EVERY kid who went to the show just LOVED her.  Never did learn her name.

I for one, wouldn't complain if they brought CARTOONS and NEWSREELS back.

Sepiatone

When I was little, I think I was at the tail end of the "ushers in the theater" era, except all I remember is that they looked for people who had sneaked into the film.  This was when you actually had to keep a hold of your ticket stub.  Most of the time now, unless you go during a busy time (even then the theaters are rarely sold out), I don't even know if the theater even knows if you have a ticket!

I miss theaters showing all of the trivia questions before the movies, instead of just a million ads.  I agree about the cartoons and newsreels, that would be fun--even if they just showed the vintage ones!  I also wish they'd have the "let's all go to the lobby" song play before the movies too.  Now, we just have "please silence your cell phones" and ads showing how disruptive cell phones can be in the movie theater.

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings