Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
benwhowell

Anna Nicole Smith dies...

> Bartlett....................Point taken except for

> one small FACT.You're the the who came back with the

> sarcastic remark ( How many movies have I made) and I

> reciprocated.

Ok ..Let's call it a draw shake hands and discuss Classic Movies Ok?

> "I feel the same kimpunkrock. She was the epitome of white trash, a moron, and I think she looked like a man in drag. "

From where I sat, it looked a lot more like levitation than drag!

Hello Everyone,

This unfortunate story has grown legs and is now all over the TV news and in the morning papers.

Some truly talented people have died over the years and never even been given a paragraph of recognition. Go figure!!

More tidbit on Prince Freddie:

He got his title (which is illegal in Germany anyway) by paying an old German princess the equivalent of $8,000.00 for her to adopt him.

Her Highness Princess Marie Auguste von Anhalt, Duchess of Saxony married a younger son of The Kaiser during WWI. Thus becoming Her Royal Highness, Princess of Prussia and Germany. (The Kaiser was both King of Prussia and Emperor of Germany).

But her husband, Prince Joachim, died in the war and she then married a commoner, thus losing her Prussian and German titles.

She was still an Anhalt princess and Saxon duchess though as she was born with these titles.

After WWI, when The Kaiser was deposed, all titles in Germany were outlawed and remain so today. So the old princess was now "Frau ........"!!! This does not stop people however from claiming to still be titled, even in France and Italy, where titles are also defunct.

Along the way comes Freddie and buys his title. The old girl died in the early 80's and Prince Freddie came to America and married Zsa Zsa Gabor.

Larry

"Some truly talented people have died over the years and never even been given a paragraph of recognition. Go figure!!"

Very true, Larry. In the midst of all this tawdriness, it also doesn't seem to have occurred to many to give a thought to the poor infant at the center of all these dubious claims of paternity. Nor has it apparently occurred to anyone that the, ahem, enormous artificial implants sported by this pathetic creature Ms. Smith may have contributed in part to her decline in health. Hope that this news cycle ends quickly. Such nonsense in such a world of troubles needing attention from a jaded public.

I can't believe how much press time this story is getting. I'm sorry what happened to Anna Nicole Smith, but people with actual talent - like scientists, artists, doctors, authors, inventors, etc. don't even get a sentence.

Well, at least it is a diversion from hearing about the adult astronaut who wore adult diapers while driving for 15 hours to meet her rival, because she didn't want to stop to use a bathroom.

> I can't believe how much press time this story is

> getting. I'm sorry what happened to Anna Nicole

> Smith, but people with actual talent - like

> scientists, artists, doctors, authors, inventors,

> etc. don't even get a sentence.

Movielover11, my thoughts also, except that I'm not particularly sorry she died. Just don't care. She literally made her bed. I heard her referred to as "Americas Rose" the other day. She ain't my rose!!. Maybe kudzu or poison oak, but no roses. Everytime I see something on the news about her, I tell my kids it's time for Lifestyles of the Stiff and Brainless.

So true Larry on people with real accomplishments not meriting more than a few minutes of the media's time. I heard from someone that Ralph Penza, a New York newsman, had died on Feb. 16th but had not heard ONE word on television. I finally was able to find an article on the Internet but it is as if he never existed. He was last seen on NBC in August and who among those in New York noticed he was gone? Even I did not.

What a travesty is television.

Poor Zsa Zsa, I pity her for having decided to hook up with that charlatan.

In racing around the dials last night -- I finally found a rerun of 'Inspector Lewis' on PBS which I had missed first time round -- in an effort to run away from Anna Nicole, most 'SPECIAL CHALLENGES!' (even the Food Network is now into 'challenges') and faux 'reality' television (the Surreal stuff with Ron Jeremy boggles the mind), I noted JUST how few channels show old movies anymore.

At least on my basic 57 (make that 55, Cablevision shut down the SPEED network and TCM) channel compendium of garbage, I noted that only PBS, occasionally, and AMC show old classic movies. The entire rest of the programming is given over to, as mentioned, SPECIAL CHALLENGES!, the filth that is 'reality' television and of course, Anna Nicole. She is the Generalissimo Francisco Franco of the 21st century. Remember SNL?

Well, at any rate, on topic, with only the basic analog cable, there are only two stations that show old, classic movies. No more Late Late Show, no more Million Dollar Movie, nor any of the other affiliates that used to show movies at midnight. Once the greedy stations learned they could run moronic infomercials all night at a cost of zilch to them, they cut out all old movies.

I assume it is a given that everyone has digital television, but even then, isn't TCM the only other station to show old movies? There are no others, are there?

Sad, sad, sad.

I didn't know or hear that Ralph Penza passed away. I used to watch him all the time. Do you know what happend to him? Usually it's listed in the papers or on t.v., but I too didn't hear anything about this. I'm so sorry to hear that.

Shameful, isn't it? I had to go searching for news of his death:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/17/nyregion/17penza.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

I read in one blurb that he had been out of television since last August and in another it asked for donations to the cancer society, so I assume he died of cancer.

A shame. 74 is much too young and he was too real to go so soon.

Dolores:

At least Mr. Penza was a local, to New York, personage, so I'm not surprised his death was not nationally known, but President Ford died on the day after Christmas, and I never saw a thing about that. I could understand missing the immediate notification because I don't watch regular newscasts that often (I don't care if Britney Spears shaved her head), and that is what the newscasts are full of, and since TCM is on satellite, they don't interrupt with 'Newflashes', but even a week later I would have expected to see highlights of the funeral, or 'between program' breaks with his picture 'in remembrance' of. You know what I mean - Gerald Ford was the President for cripes sake, yet he passed away with no more attention than when my pet parakeet died.

Who in the heck was Anna Nicole Smith that she should have all this publicity, let alone a thread here announcing her death, again, no offense to the dead, but Who Cares? let the woman lie in peace, that child doesn't need this notoriety before she's a year old.

Anne

Message was edited by:

mrsl

mrsl, true on Penza being a local. But I would have expected more from the local stations since he was as stalwart and as much an icon, well to me, as the Canadian guy, whatever his name was. Just kidding, I know it was Jensen. :)

And actually, I think New York did have a lot of Ford footage. At least they did when the service was going on - I had to turn away, the image of soldiers acting soldierly (holding up Mrs. Ford, e.g.) things always chokes me up.

But you are correct, it was BAU the minute he was interred -- no follow-up commemorative programming, no sirree. I don't remember the BIG! story at that time, perhaps J-Lo put her undies on backwards or...wait, I remember now!...one of the **** singers was photographed a capella in a car. That's it, THAT'S what was more important than Ford.

Good grief, what a world.

Who cares, indeed. I heard someone put it "she was famous for being famous." Her claim to fame was that she married a 90 year old billionaire and the fight with his family wound up in the Supreme Court.

A sad life but does her death really need any coverage other than the announcing of it? The whole thing has been a circus and nearly impossible to avoid. (And I don't watch a lot of news.)

I don't understand the fascination with a woman who had no discernable talent and virtually nothing important to say. I wish the press would let it go.

Sadly enough, the Press will never let this story go because it was the Press that created the story in the first place. And with the details going from the merely strange to the utterly bizarre on a daily basis, I think it can now safely be said that this poor woman, in death, has never before been quite so famous.