Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
charjoy87

New Classic Film Blog

Hello all! I am new to the message boards and I am excited to partake in classic film discussions of all kinds! I just started a classic film blog two weeks ago, and I am very interested in any feedback or ideas that fellow classic film lovers have. I currently have written about 9 or 10 movies. I know I need to upgrade it in terms of graphics, etc., but I will do that in time. Thanks very much! 

https://charsmoviereviews.wordpress.com/

Hello all! I am new to the message boards and I am excited to partake in classic film discussions of all kinds! I just started a classic film blog two weeks ago, and I am very interested in any feedback or ideas that fellow classic film lovers have. I currently have written about 9 or 10 movies. I know I need to upgrade it in terms of graphics, etc., but I will do that in time. Thanks very much! 

Welcome.

Interesting and something I'll have to check out.   One simple question (well maybe);    How do you define a classic film?

E.g. does a 'classic' have to be a certain number of years old?    

Note that I like the term studio-era or Production-code era instead of 'classic' since to me studio-era defines a time period of film.

That is an interesting question and I think it is open to interpretation. My definition of a classic film is a movie with high quality acting, screenplay, direction, and all of the other facets that make a movie timeless. I think people usually define a classic film by its age. For example, "Mullholland Drive" (first movie that came to my head) may not be a classic based on its age, but it definitely has the potential to be one. I myself have defined a film as "classic" based on it being made in a particular time period (usually pre-1970).

I have not thought about defining films as being studio-era or Production code-era, but it more clearly identifies a distinction in time where the construction and presentation of films (especially screenplay) were abruptly changed. I love Production code-era films myself, so I will keep that terminology in mind in the future for sure. 

That is an interesting question and I think it is open to interpretation. My definition of a classic film is a movie with high quality acting, screenplay, direction, and all of the other facets that make a movie timeless. I think people usually define a classic film by its age. For example, "Mullholland Drive" (first movie that came to my head) may not be a classic based on its age, but it definitely has the potential to be one. I myself have defined a film as "classic" based on it being made in a particular time period (usually pre-1970).

I have not thought about defining films as being studio-era or Production code-era, but it more clearly identifies a distinction in time where the construction and presentation of films (especially screenplay) were abruptly changed. I love Production code-era films myself, so I will keep that terminology in mind in the future for sure. 

Yea,  many users here will classify a fine well made and acted film like Mullholland Drive as a modern-classic due to the fairly common view that 'classic' films are pre-1970 (or I would say 1969,  what I define as the end of the Production Code era,,,, but why split hairs).

Typically I don't find it productive to get into debates about labels but often I do find it fun.   E.g.  what is a noir?   Can a noir be in color (I say yes),  etc...       Nice to see folks with an open mind because sometimes people will get defensive by implying they have the definitive definition. 

• Like 1