Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
LornaHansonForbes

Oh wow! SUDDEN FEAR! (1952) on 12/14 at 8:00 PM

Huge Thank You to TCM for this!

FOR SOME REASON, THE ONLY EXTANT TRAILER IS THIS POOR-QUALITY PRINT OF THE FILM'S ITALIAN RELEASE, IT'S DUBBED, BUT STILL FASCINATING.

• Like 3

Glad to read that you like this one Lorna.  I have to say that it's probably my favorite Joan mid-career performance (late mid-career?)  And the only time she and Bette competed for the Oscar.  COME ON OSCAR, LET'S YOU AND ME GO GET DRUNK!

• Like 1

not a perfect film by any means, but oh what a stylish and entertaining one!

I've been wanting to see this film for years. I hope I don't fall asleep. Sometimes I can't help it. Maybe I'll watch it standing up.

Jack Palance: "I'm so crazy about you I could break your bones."

I LOVE THAT LINE!!!!

(although I DO NOT recommend trying it out in real life, Doesn't work so well.)

I've been wanting to see this film for years. I hope I don't fall asleep. Sometimes I can't help it. Maybe I'll watch it standing up.

You won't regret it.

Jack Palance: "I'm so crazy about you I could break your bones."

Lol. That's the one line I clearly remember. I had almost made this exact post. :)

• Like 2

Standing room only, in my own living room.

I mentioned this in the HITS AND MISSES thread, but i'll say it here as it bears mentioning to all of you who have not seen SUDDEN FEAR!- the first 15-20 minutes are not as good as they should be, they could've used a rewrite and the actors a little stiff, but as soon as the proceedings move to San Francisco (and Gloria Grahame shows up) the film starts hurtling faster and faster towards its conclusion, the ending is really terrific.

I mentioned this in the HITS AND MISSES thread, but i'll say it here as it bears mentioning to all of you who have not seen SUDDEN FEAR!- the first 15-20 minutes are not as good as they should be, they could've used a rewrite and the actors a little stiff, but as soon as the proceedings move to San Francisco (and Gloria Grahame shows up) the film starts hurtling faster and faster towards its conclusion, the ending is really terrific.

That's why so many films are are set in San Francisco. Makes it more interesting than if set in Tulsa.

I wonder how Joan and Gloria got along during filming.  Has anyone ever read any good stories?

from the imdb trivia section for the film:

According to Jack Palance, Joan Crawford and Gloria Grahame did not get along and got into a physical altercation at one point during the filming. The fight started after Grahame sat on the edge of the set during one of Crawford's close-ups and very loudly sucked a lollipop in an attempt to anger Crawford. It worked, and Palance noted that the all male crew watched the fight for a few moments rather curiously before stepping in to break it up.

• Like 2

Thanks Lorna!  I have never heard this one.  That Gloria really was a nasty little trouble maker, wasn't she?

From comments I've read Gloria made, I dont think it was a one sided affair........

Thanks Lorna!  I have never heard this one.  That Gloria really was a nasty little trouble maker, wasn't she?

i dunno what sort of person Gloria Grahame was in real life, although i think it's safe to say gurl had some issues.

she was a marvelous actress, 1952 was of course HER YEAR, besides SUDDEN FEAR and was at least two other HUGE hits- THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH and THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL- the latter of which won her the Oscar even though it a rare uninteresting performance from her. really, it would've made more sense had she been nommed for SUDDEN FEAR instead.

• Like 1

here are the other trivia entries for the film from imdb:

Marlon Brando was originally offered the role of Lester Blaine

As the film's executive producer, Joan Crawford was heavily involved in all aspects of the production. She personally hired Lenore J. Coffee as the film's screenwriter, David Miller as director and suggested Elmer Bernstein as composer. She insisted on Charles Lang being hired as the film's cinematographer and personally cast Jack Palance and Gloria Grahame as her co-stars.

Joan Crawford originally wanted Clark Gable for the role of Lester Blane in the film. Jack Palance was cast instead.

Elmer Bernstein reused portions of his musical score the following year in Robot Monster (1953).

Jean Rogers screen tested for the second lead but lost the part to Gloria Grahame.

Mike Connors first film role.

Virginia Huston who plays Myra's secretary Ann Taylor, also appeared as flighty socialite Annabelle Weldon opposite Joan Crawford' in Flamingo Road (1949).

(Lorna quoted:)

Joan Crawford originally wanted Clark Gable for the role of Lester Blane in the film. Jack Palance was cast instead.

Glad it happened that way. I love Gable, but Palance had the menacing creepiness to really make this a tense picture. Gable could be menacing but Palance had a disturbing oddness here.

But yeah, I get that Joan and Clark went back a long way... ;)

• Like 1

(Lorna quoted:)

Glad it happened that way. I love Gable, but Palance had the menacing creepiness to really make this a tense picture. Gable could be menacing but Palance had a disturbing oddness here.

But yeah, I get that Joan and Clark went back a long way... ;)

Palance had a disturbing oddness everywhere.

• Like 3

Palance had a disturbing oddness everywhere.

"Believe it... or not."

(Palance hosted that Ripley show, right?)

;)

here are the other trivia entries for the film from imdb:

Marlon Brando was originally offered the role of Lester Blaine

As the film's executive producer, Joan Crawford was heavily involved in all aspects of the production. She personally hired Lenore J. Coffee as the film's screenwriter, David Miller as director and suggested Elmer Bernstein as composer. She insisted on Charles Lang being hired as the film's cinematographer and personally cast Jack Palance and Gloria Grahame as her co-stars.

Elmer Bernstein reused portions of his musical score the following year in Robot Monster (1953).

Jean Rogers screen tested for the second lead but lost the part to Gloria Grahame.

Mike Connors first film role.

Virginia Huston who plays Myra's secretary Ann Taylor, also appeared as flighty socialite Annabelle Weldon opposite Joan Crawford' in Flamingo Road (1949).

Clark Gable wouldnt play 2nd fiddle to Joan Crawford..........

INTRIGUED!

Such as....?

I've forgotten. I read about them somewhere (possibly in the bio about her some decades ago, Grahame, I mean...) It seemed similar to the Mercedes McCambridge feud in Johnny Guitar. Dont forget Joan wasnt above ruining takes knitting during Norma Shearer's close ups. ( LOL).