Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Oh wow! SUDDEN FEAR! (1952) on 12/14 at 8:00 PM

I had an old VHS tape of Sudden Fear when it was on AMC years

ago with good ol' Bob Dorian doing the intros and outros. Not sure

I still have it. Who needs Joan when Gloria Grahame is around? :)

• Like 1

I want to say that they had rekindled their affair around the time of SUDDEN FEAR, in fact I seem to recall reading she thought they were going to get married.

I know that Loretta Young was convinced she and Gable were going to be married...  (Heard that on the "Call of the Wild" commentary.)

It's interesting how "sexy" this thing is for 1952, A shot of a pillow with a head impression was a pretty clever way to show that Joan and Jack shared a bed, and it seemed like she woke up nude: her back was bare...and then the way that they cut awayfromJack and Gloria Grahame in their first scene together makes it pretty clear that something lascivious went down once the door shut.

• Like 2

Note to the wives out there: if you have a recording which incriminates your husband and his mistress, don't break it. Hand it over to your lawyer. Saves you the trouble of trying to concoct a plot to get even.

• Like 4

slaytonf, despite Sudden Fear originally being an RKO release, I got the feeling it's a film not in the TCM library. I've already forgotten the name of the company whose logo appears on the DVD Ben Mankiewicz was hawking after the film, but I got the impression they control it now. It surely would have aired before if it was an "in-library" film. Now that it's finally aired, and a TCM rep dutifully helped give its DVD release some free advertising, perhaps it will enter semi-regular rotation.

I thought it was a pretty good cat-and-mouse thriller. It reminded me a little of Unfaithfully Yours (I saw the Dudley Moore version as a teenager and only many years later learned there it was a remake of a Preston Sturges/Rex Harrison film) in which the composer "murders" two people, only in his imagination, and everything goes perfectly, but when he tries it in reality, things go horribly, comically wrong. Of course, this wasn't a comedy, but the final third followed a similar plot.

• Like 2

sewhite2000---The company you're thinking of is The Cohen Media Group, and their official release date of the "Sudden Fear" Blu-Ray was 12/13/2016.  I hope this goes into TCM's rotation of titles now.  It was one of the better thrillers I've seen, and definitely a good print of the film.

• Like 3

Note to the wives out there: if you have a recording which incriminates your husband and his mistress, don't break it. Hand it over to your lawyer. Saves you the trouble of trying to concoct a plot to get even.

I know, I know.

The script doctor in me is racking his brain for a way to have that plot point make a little more sense; maybe instead of running to the bathroom, Joan could've gotten nauseous right there and blown chunks all over the dictaphone.

(no?)

I know, I know.

The script doctor in me is racking his brain for a way to have that plot point make a little more sense; maybe instead of running to the bathroom, Joan could've gotten nauseous right there and blown chunks all over the dictaphone.

(no?)

Yes, that would have been more reasonable. The audience would have swallowed that, so to speak.

• Like 1

sewhite2000---The company you're thinking of is The Cohen Media Group, and their official release date of the "Sudden Fear" Blu-Ray was 12/13/2016.  I hope this goes into TCM's rotation of titles now.  It was one of the better thrillers I've seen, and definitely a good print of the film.

Looks like Cohen released a version earlier than that:

• Like 1

Looks like Cohen released a version earlier than that:

I don't think I'm a stupid person, but I didn't understand what was going on in the final half hour or so of the film. The problem may have arisen because I couldn't read what Crawford was writing on her papers. I didn't have my glasses on while watching the film.

I don't think I'm a stupid person, but I didn't understand what was going on in the final half hour or so of the film. The problem may have arisen because I couldn't read what Crawford was writing on her papers. I didn't have my glasses on while watching the film.

She forged letters to both Palance and Grahame, telling them when and where to meet each other, apparently with the idea that she would bump off Palance and Grahame would take the rap. Joan was an excellent forger, in addition to all her other talents.

She forged letters to both Palance and Grahame, telling them when and where to meet each other, apparently with the idea that she would bump off Palance and Grahame would take the rap. Joan was an excellent forger, in addition to all her other talents.

That helps. I'll have to rework what I saw with that in mind.

Over twenty years ago, i found a copy of the novel on which SUDDEN FEAR is based in a used bookstore- it was one of those cheap, pulp paperbacks. i don't remember a lot about it except it's even more elaborate with the machinations and plotting and Joan's character is not as sympathetic, as i recall, she goes through with her counterplot, which includes killing Irene.

(although i might be recalling it wrong...)

271cba987d452b3dfe2d0675f0b35494.jpg