Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Oh wow! SUDDEN FEAR! (1952) on 12/14 at 8:00 PM

LOL. It's no wonder they didnt get along. Then I heard the Mank say Jack and Gloria were having an affair during filming!

Puke. That's a funny word. I thought GG would have better taste

than that. I'm going to have to deduct one star from her profile

(out of four). I really don't remember much about this movie,

except for the car "chase" at the end. Pretty good flick, but not

as good as the usual classic noir suspects. I'm going to shove

a grenade down your throat and pull the pin. Okay, but wouldn't

that be a bit difficult to do, anatomy-wise?

• Like 1

Puke. That's a funny word. I thought GG would have better taste

than that. I'm going to have to deduct one star from her profile

(out of four). I really don't remember much about this movie,

except for the car "chase" at the end. Pretty good flick, but not

as good as the usual classic noir suspects. I'm going to shove

a grenade down your throat and pull the pin. Okay, but wouldn't

that be a bit difficult to do, anatomy-wise?

She, as her IAWL character said, liked all the guys.

Actually, I don't think Jack is all that bad looking, but obviously not the pretty boy. Of course, attitude and swagger go a long way to compensate for looks, at least in some circles.

Yeah, and money too, Roy.

But what say we keep all that Election talk over there in the Off-Topic forum, dude?!!! ;)

LOL 

(...sorry...couldn't resist)

• Like 1

I think it was her ex-husband Nicolas Ray, whose 15-year-old son from a previous relationship had an affair with Gloria, who said "have you ever seen a bunch of cats with their own saucers of milk on the floor and there's always one cat that's sniffing around trying to see what's in everyone else's bowl? That was Gloria"

(it was something to that effect.)

• Like 1

Oh gosh fellas, I was just talkin moving picture stuff.

Yeah, that's true.

And besides, you only mentioned "attitude" and "swagger", and nothin' AT ALL about any kind'a comb-over hair style possibly makin' up for any lack of a man's, ANY man's, physical attractiveness, huh.

(...and so yeah, good point...sorry I brought it up here)   ;)

Right. A homeless man can have attitude and swagger up the kazoo, and it doesn't mean a thing.

Well, if a homeless man HAS a kazoo, he can certainly be entertaining up the WAzoo occasionally, can't he?!

And I've always felt IF one can be entertaining, people will naturally gravitate to them and find them MUCH more attractive than they actually are. Take your average Rock star for instance.

Although I have to admit I DID once own a kazoo as a kid, but the only one who seemed at all entertained by my playing it was my dog Skipper, and then even HE only seemed to be entertained for about a minute or two by it.

(...hmmmm...now that I think about this whole thing again, just forget what I've just said...playing a kazoo doesn't make anyone any more attractive at all, huh)

I appreciate and like Gloria Grahame a lot in many of her roles, but has anyone ever read or does anyone have insight, scholarly or otherwise, as to how she won the spot in OKLAHOMA? There must be a great studio backstory there.

I dunno, but somebody made a right decision. I love Oklahoma! anyway, but the casting of Gloria Grahame as Ado Annie was inspired....the icing on this Rogers and Hammerstein cake for me. Who knew this sexy woman who usually  played in noirs would be such a natural as the goofy, funny, libidinous Ado Annie? She's so funny in this film, playing dumb and smart at the same time. And she can sing ! ...sort of. I actually enjoy her off-key warbling, it suits the songs she sings, and her character. Ado Annie doesn't need to have a fine singing voice like Laurey does, she just needs to get her character across in song.  *

Hey, to the glorious Gloria in Oklahoma ! , I can't say no.

* Thank god they didn't have auto-tuning back then. Auto-tuning is something that belongs in one of Dante's nine circles of hell.

• Like 2

I should explain that I'm not criticizing her Casting in Oklahoma (it was probably the first thing I saw her in when OKLA was a big Thanksgiving movie back in the early 70s) but as I saw her in more films, OKLA seemed such an odd departure. That was the first Gloria I knew! That Thanksgiving showing of OKlahoma was a big event at the time.

I should explain that I'm not criticizing her Casting in Oklahoma (it was probably the first thing I saw her in when OKLA was a big Thanksgiving movie back in the early 70s) but as I saw her in more films, OKLA seemed such an odd departure. That was the first Gloria I knew! That Thanksgiving showing of OKlahoma was a big event at the time.

I didn't think you were being critical about it. And you're right, Ado Annie is miles away from the kind of character G.G. usually played.