Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

March Schedule Is Up

There's a few I'm interested in. Several of the Richard Burton films are ones I haven't seen yet: Last Days of Dolwyn, Staircase, Villain.

Napoleon & Samatha, part of the Disney Vault night, is a Michael Douglas title I haven't seen. Another Part of the Forest is a Fredric March movie I've missed, too.

A couple of Japanese rarities: Belladonna of Sadness on the 4th, and Oyuki, the Madonna on the 29th.

And They Live By Night is one of my faves of 1949 that I don't have a copy of yet, so I'll tape that on the 20th.

• Like 1

Napoleon & Samatha, part of the Disney Vault night, is a Michael Douglas title I haven't seen. 

A couple of Japanese rarities: Belladonna of Sadness on the 4th, and Oyuki, the Madonna on the 29th.

N&S is pretty much generic 70's Disney (two orphans and a lion), but there are better 60's-70's Disney movies you haven't seen.  I assume they've already shown Follow Me, Boys?

And calling Belladonna "trippy" is an insult to trippy films, but is apparently there to make Fantastic Planet look coherent and exciting.

March 17 continues the sacred tradition of TV stations showing The Quiet Man for St. Patrick's, while the 18th has any convenient excuse to see Five Million Years to Earth.  (A movie necessary for understanding any movie later made by John Carpenter, including "Halloween III".)

Another Part of the Forest is a Fredric March movie I've missed, too.

A rarity, and a truly excellent film.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-12-13%2Bat%2B7.20.0

When Universal released it, most people knew it was a prequel to THE LITTLE FOXES. Ann Blyth plays a very young and devious Regina Hubbard (the role Bette Davis had in the earlier film). Dan Duryea is back, as the father of the character he portrayed in the original. It's based on Lillian Hellman's stage play and contains some of her very best writing. I think it's better than THE LITTLE FOXES.

Real-life couple Fredric March and Florence Eldridge headline the proceedings as Regina's mother and father; they are pitch-perfect and should have had Oscar nominations. Edmond O'Brien is also on hand as one of the other wicked offspring. It should be noted that March, Eldridge and O'Brien teamed up again for AN ACT OF MURDER.

Don't miss ANOTHER PART OF THE FOREST. Mark it on your calendar..!

• Like 4

Hand in Hand will be shown on March 13 at 10pm. It's a lovely British movie about the friendship between two children: a Jewish girl and a Catholic boy. I haven't seen it since I was as young as one of kids in the film, but I have very fond memories of it. It's being shown as part of a tribute to British director Philip Leacock.

handinhand-02.jpg

• Like 4

A few I'm looking forward to:

March 8th--"Doctor Faustus" (1967)--I know this got horrific reviews when released, but I've always wanted to see it--never ran across it.

March 9th--"The Sandpiper" (1965)--For those who remember "Le Scandale", this film is a series of howlers.

March 12th--"Carmen Jones" (1954) and "The Bride's Play" (1921)--a Marion Davies film I'm looking forward to.

March 21st--"Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" (1982)--The Broadway musical with Angela Lansbury and George Hearn--For those who haven't seen it, Essential viewing for fans of the musical--this is Way Better than Tim Burton's 2007 film.  Wonderful score--and it's showing at 11:00 a.m. this time, not 4:30 a.m.

March 29th--"Mademoiselle Fifi" (1944)--One of the few Val Lewton films I've missed.

Edited for correction.

• Like 2

March 21st--"Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" (1982)--The Broadway musical with Angela Lansbury and Len Cariou--For those who haven't seen it, Essential viewing for fans of the musical--this is Way Better than Tim Burton's 2007 film.  Wonderful score--and it's showing at 11:00 a.m. this time, not 4:30 a.m.

I agree -- much better than the Tim Burton. But George Hearn played the eponymous role. Len Cariou was the original on Broadway but left the show after a while and was replaced by Hearn, which is in that 1982 film. 

• Like 1

Also, Mizoguchi's A Story From Chikamatsu is on this month, handily my favorite of his films (does this mean Criterion is going to trash it's current English title, The Crucified Lovers, when they release it? I hope so.)

Not bad! We'll get five of the seven films for which Richard Burton received Oscar nominations (too bad "Becket" and "The Spy Who Came in from the Cold" aren't scheduled, too). And there are seven Burton-Elizabeth Taylor collaborations, including "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" twice!

2299410116_bb12f47e76_o.jpg

Taylor (as Helen of Troy) with Burton in "Doctor Faustus"

• Like 2

Films I overlooked last night:

March 18th

"Many Rivers to Cross" (1955)--This film has the most ecstatic reviews on the site, and the most "Reviews in Detail"--23--and they're all 5 stars.  I have to check this film out.

"The Ninth Configuration" (1980)--I remember this as "Twinkle, Twinkle, Killer Kane".  William Peter Blatty wrote this.

"Shock Corridor" (1963)--Samuel Fuller film--How far should a reporter go for a story?

March 23rd

" The X From Outer Space" (1967)--Japanese higher end horror movie.

"20 Million Miles to Earth" (1957)--Horror/sci-fi with great special effects by Ray Harryhausen--these two films are buried in the early morning hours, E.S.T.

• Like 1

"Many Rivers to Cross" (1955)--This film has the most ecstatic reviews on the site, and the most "Reviews in Detail"--23--and they're all 5 stars.  I have to check this film out.

On which site? On the TCM database...or on the IMDb? I'm surprised people are so enthusiastic about it. It's a typical MGM programmer of the mid-50s, not bad but hardly revolutionary cinema. It's always interesting to see which films resonate with audiences.

TopBilled--The TCM webpage for "Many Rivers to Cross"--the detailed ratings you have to click on.

Okay I'll have to take a look. The film doesn't air too often. Though it was featured during Eleanor Parker's Star of the Month tribute.

Good stuff:

White Shadows in the South Seas   ***

Belladonna of Sadness   ***

The Desert Rats   ***

Look Back in Anger   ***1/2

Let No Man Write My Epitaph   ***

Shaft's Big Score    ***

The Incredible Journey   ***

The Ninth Configuration   ***1/2

Cluny Brown   ***1/2

Tokyo Chorus   ***1/2

Invasion of the Body Snatchers   ***1/2

A Story From Chikamatsu   ***1/2

The Effects of Gamma Rays on Man-In-The-Moon Marigolds   ***

The Outlaw and His Wife   ***1/2

Hour of the Wolf   ***

A Day in the Country   ****

Another Part of the Forest   ***

• Like 1

Treasure of the Month:

The Ninth Configuration (1980) 2 am March 18 (Underground)

William Peter Blatty originally published a novel titled 'Twinkle, Twinkle, "Killer" Kane!' in 1966 - about a group of soldiers, fallen into insanity, and housed in a European castle for treatment. Although it was a finished and published novel, Blatty decided to rewrite it (to "flesh it out" is how I believed he put it) in 1978 and re-titled it 'The Ninth Configuration'. From there he adapted a screenplay from that novel and that was used as the basis for the movie.

Whatever version, the story is bizarre and the movie is a cult item, rarely shown.

And what a cast! Stacy Keach as "Killer" Kane, Scott Wilson as a hero astronaut who's lost his equilibrium, with supporting performances from Jason (The Exorcist) Miller, Ed (St. Elsewhere) Flanders, Neville Brand!, Robert Loggia, Tom Atkins, Moses Gunn, Alejandro Ray, George DiCenzo, Joe Spinell and career creepoid Richard Lynch.

Several versions of The Ninth Configuration were released in cinemas and on video tape and DVD (one version retained the title Twinkle, Twinkle, "Killer" Kane). In some versions released during the intervening years, an alternate ending was used. Blatty has endorsed one of the DVD versions, so I'll assume that's the one TCM will be showing.

Set the recorders!

• Like 3

Hmm.  The SOTM doesn't really excite me.  I'm not a big fan of Richard Burton, though I thought he was good in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?  His on-screen persona does nothing to interest me.  If he is a first-time honoree, then I guess I can tolerate it. 

3/6 Don't Bet on Blondes.  I've seen this film before.  It features a pre-stardom Errol Flynn in a small role as one of Claire Dodd's boyfriends.  His bit part is the funniest part of the movie.

3/7 Ooh a Barbara Stanwyck marathon! A Lost Lady.  An early Stanwyck film that I think I've seen, but I can't remember much about it; The Gay Sisters.  A Stanwyck movie I've never seen.

3/8 Elizabeth Taylor: An Intimate Portrait. A documentary about Elizabeth Taylor.  I like documentaries.

3/9 Two Girls on Broadway.  A Joan Blondell movie I haven't seen

3/12 The tribute to Dorothy Dandridge.  While I've heard of Dandridge, I've never seen one of her movies.  I may check a couple of these out.

3/14 The Gold Rush.  This Charlie Chaplin movie.  I just watched it a couple months ago, but it was funny.  I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

3/15 Jeopardy. A Barbara Stanwyck film I have never even heard of.

3/16 The Disney Vault! The Incredible Journey!! 

3/19 The two Ernst Lubitsch films: Cluny Brown and Bluebeard's Eighth Wife

3/20 Modern Times.  I just watched this movie last month and loved it.  I wouldn't mind seeing it again.  

3/22 In Cold Blood.  I've been wanting to see this movie! 

3/29 Nora Prentiss.  I've seen this Ann Sheridan movie twice now, and I really enjoy it.  I look forward to seeing it again. 

There are probably a lot more that'll interest me later, but this is what popped out at me right now. 

• Like 1

One of my favorite movies. There are too few Joanne Woodward films and this story of 2 bright daughters with a disfunctional Mom is unusual & heartfelt. The one little girl is played by Woodward/Newman's own daughter. She left a promising career in acting to start Newman's Own brand.

3/15 Jeopardy. A Barbara Stanwyck film I have never even heard of.

This is the one that had MrTiki & I rolling on the floor with laughter. Ralph Meeker is great playing against weak & confused Stanwyk, something we found unbelievable. Her husband's role is even sillier & stupider. SPOILER example: when Meeker carjacks Babs he immediately opens the glove box to find a loaded gun! Laugh riot!

3/22 In Cold Blood.  I've been wanting to see this movie! 

One of the few really well written books well made into a movie.

The book is a quick easy read & I recommend reading it before seeing the movie.

March is just a bit too far in the future for me to count on the schedule staying true. But thanks for the thread, I'll check back in Feb.

One of my favorite movies. There are too few Joanne Woodward films and this story of 2 bright daughters with a disfunctional Mom is unusual & heartfelt. The one little girl is played by Woodward/Newman's own daughter. She left a promising career in acting to start Newman's Own brand.

TikiSoo, I've been wanting to see this movie for awhile and was excited to see it on the March schedule.

I hope it doesn't get bumped. 

There's a few I'm interested in. Several of the Richard Burton films are ones I haven't seen yet: Last Days of Dolwyn, Staircase....

Staircase ran off and on on FMC for years....don't expect much. In fact, shockingly bad performances by both Burton and Rex Harrison....they play it like a tv comedy sketch from the 70's ...for 96 minutes....reviewers either love it or hate it on imbd.... go ahead, watch if you want to ;)

Cluny Brown, rarely shown on TCM, is a must for fans of screwball comedy and especially for fans of Jennifer Jones, who is both radiantly beautiful and very funny. Jones and Charles Boyer make a great romantic couple. Helen Walker has a nice supporting role, and Una O'Connor's part consists only of a series of significant coughs.

• Like 2

Cluny Brown, rarely shown on TCM, is a must for fans of screwball comedy and especially for fans of Jennifer Jones, who is both radiantly beautiful and very funny. Jones and Charles Boyer make a great romantic couple. Helen Walker has a nice supporting role, and Una O'Connor's part consists only of a series of significant coughs.

Yes, great fun. Helen Walker is always good. And we get to see Peter Lawford away from MGM for a change. 

It was Ernst Lubitsch's last completed film.

• 1 month later...

Bump-I just looked at it to decide what to see/record.....

So far among the old chestnuts:

3/6  7:00A DON"T BET ON BLONDES (35)
Warren William pre-code-whoda thunk?

3/7 Great line up of early Stanwyck programmers! I'll have to check my Stanwyck box set to see if I already have some of the unfamiliar titles.

3/8 3:00A BITTER VICTORY (57)
4 star Nick Ray I missed last time it aired

3/13 11:30P LET NO MAN WRITE MY EPITAPH (60)
never heard of this one-like Shelley Winters & Burl Ives a lot

3/15 6A THE WOMAN ON THE BEACH (47)
Renoir/Joan Bennett/Robert Ryan I've never seen!

3/18 7A ESCAPE ME NEVER (47) 104 min 
Errol!! /Lupino/Parker-all faves!

3/27 4:00A HOUR OF THE WOLF (68)
Igmar Bergman could be excellent or dull- Maltin's guide usually helps me decide on these

Love the title CONGO MAISIE....I almost want to record those.

Bump-I just looked at it to decide what to see/record.....

So far among the old chestnuts:

3/6  7:00A DON"T BET ON BLONDES (35)
Warren William pre-code-whoda thunk?

3/7 Great line up of early Stanwyck programmers! I'll have to check my Stanwyck box set to see if I already have some of the unfamiliar titles.

3/8 3:00A BITTER VICTORY (57)
4 star Nick Ray I missed last time it aired

3/13 11:30P LET NO MAN WRITE MY EPITAPH (60)
never heard of this one-like Shelley Winters & Burl Ives a lot

3/15 6A THE WOMAN ON THE BEACH (47)
Renoir/Joan Bennett/Robert Ryan I've never seen!

3/18 7A ESCAPE ME NEVER (47) 104 min 
Errol!! /Lupino/Parker-all faves!

3/27 4:00A HOUR OF THE WOLF (68)
Igmar Bergman could be excellent or dull- Maltin's guide usually helps me decide on these

Love the title CONGO MAISIE....I almost want to record those.

Don't Bet on Blondes has a very early Errol Flynn appearance! The movie itself is whatever, but a young 26 year old Errol Flynn is well worth the time spent watching the film! Errol has the best parts of the film and best of all, he's so pretty while appearing in the film.

::swoon::

It's not a film I would purchase, but it's a film I would watch just to see my beautiful Errol :-)