Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

the anti-colo(u)rized lemmings betray themselves in little ways

NipkowDisc

howda ya like my title? my nod to UK spelling. :D

now whatta I mean?

the ad banner for From Here To Eternity in the theatres, the image of deborah kerr and burt lancaster embracing on the beach is colorized, is it not?

if images then why not whole films?

the cr ap about younger demographics not interested in older films is a herringbone.

just let tcm show colorized prints of Chain Lightning and Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House and judge for yourselves.

be open-minded enough to allow yourselves a second opinion.

of course I already know I'm right. :D

I am impressed at your open mindedness NipkowDisc. T.V has recently aired colorized episodes of I Love Lucy and Dick Van Dyke show. And there are colorized documentaries of the world wars being shown also.

Its probably coming anyways so why not ? Colorization does not destroy the original. 

Maybe those who like B&W films aren't so much lemmings, but admirers of the REAL DEALS, the real McCoys, as opposed fake copies with needless, tacked-on gimmicks done by people who have zero knowledge about the making of the original films.  It comes down to what you care more.  Why should you care about someone with zero knowledge about the original works tempering with them?

Except that TCM already advertised "Uncut, no commercials and NO COLORIZATION!" in its very ads before the channel first aired.

I'm not about getting them to break their Cinecratic Oath.

of course I already know I'm right.  :D

Of course you do, you're the only one who knows what the hell you're ever saying.     :P

the ad banner for From Here To Eternity in the theatres, the image of deborah kerr and burt lancaster embracing on the beach is colorized, is it not?

For as long as I can remember(which is a shorter span the older I get) I've seen LOTS of movie posters that were in color in SPITE of the movie being black and white.  AND vice-versa.

If YOU lack the level of imagination that requires a movie BE in color in order for you to get through it, well, there's nothing can be done about it.

I would imagine you don't read books because I've yet to SEE one( other than a children's book) that uses multi-colored print.

Sepiatone

For as long as I can remember(which is a shorter span the older I get) I've seen LOTS of movie posters that were in color in SPITE of the movie being black and white.  AND vice-versa.

I guess Nip hasn't quite grasped the concept that artistic 40's-50's movie posters were never quite meant to represent the actual product--

In at least that Alison Hayes as the Fifty Foot Woman was not in color, and never attacked a highway overpass.

The truth is, (and Nip, knowing you are a Trump supporter, I also already know TRUTH isn't a priority to you...)

A "colorized" version of a movie originally shot in Black and White ISN'T better than the original, nor is it WORSE.  It's the SAME MOVIE, only with a DIFFERENT LOOK.  No difference in any of the scenes, segments or dialog.  After all....

Using IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE for example, isn't it the STORY we all fell in love with?  I mean, did you actually think it was a good movie BECAUSE it was in black and white?  I don't think so.  If Capra originally SHOT it in color, you'd have probably liked it just as much.

I also don't think people, despite WHICH movie it was, ever gathered in diners, bars or cafes after seeing some movie spent ANY time discussing how they thought how "aesthetically superior" the movie WAS because the director chose to shoot it in black and white (if color WAS available then) or not.

Whatching whatever movie in the original black and white these days is a CHOICE available to the individual, and a "colorized" version is too.  If you PREFER the original black and white, that's fine.  If you prefer the "colorized" version, then that's fine too.

Just don't INSIST that one is BETTER than the other simply because YOU think so.

Sepiatone

• Like 2

The truth is, (and Nip, knowing you are a Trump supporter, I also already know TRUTH isn't a priority to you...)

A "colorized" version of a movie originally shot in Black and White ISN'T better than the original, nor is it WORSE.  It's the SAME MOVIE, only with a DIFFERENT LOOK.  No difference in any of the scenes, segments or dialog.  After all....

Using IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE for example, isn't it the STORY we all fell in love with?  I mean, did you actually think it was a good movie BECAUSE it was in black and white?  I don't think so.  If Capra originally SHOT it in color, you'd have probably liked it just as much.

I also don't think people, despite WHICH movie it was, ever gathered in diners, bars or cafes after seeing some movie spent ANY time discussing how they thought how "aesthetically superior" the movie WAS because the director chose to shoot it in black and white (if color WAS available then) or not.

Whatching whatever movie in the original black and white these days is a CHOICE available to the individual, and a "colorized" version is too.  If you PREFER the original black and white, that's fine.  If you prefer the "colorized" version, then that's fine too.

Just don't INSIST that one is BETTER than the other simply because YOU think so.

Sepiatone

What isn't a choice (or wouldn't be),  is if a station like TCM shows only the colorized version when available.   Of course stations showing fixed content at fixed times will be ending fairly soon anyhow,  but until then I prefer to see the original version and not an enhanced one.

Often DVDs have both versions and that allows users a choice.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings