Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Schedules Off Some Nights By 15 Minutes

voranis

As someone who still manually programs TCM recordings, I have noticed TCM schedules have been off lately--usually by 15 minutes.  Mostly during the TCM Underground blocks, but also a few other times.  It's not like it's just happened once or twice.  It happened again just last night.  I attached a screen shot of the online schedule for last night.  Both it and my Now Playing guide show Dial M for Murder starting at 10 p.m. EST and The Two Mrs. Carrolls starting at midnight:

post-20845-0-59079100-1481817273_thumb.png

As of the time of this post, the online schedule is still showing them starting at 10 p.m. and midnight, although it may get updated at some point:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2016-12-14

But the movies seem to have aired at 10:15 p.m. and 12:15 a.m., respectively, according to the title cards that were displayed last night and the fact that I missed recording the shorts that aired at the end of these movies.

I pad my recordings by ten minutes before and after so I haven't missed too many of the movies themselves. 

But I am wondering if anyone knows when TCM is going to get this corrected.

post-20845-0-59079100-1481817273_thumb.png

As someone who still manually programs TCM recordings...

I assume this means the OP is right there waiting to push record when something starts. If something is starting 15 minutes late that should not be a problem since it's just a matter of waiting a little longer. If something is starting 15 minutes early, which is probably not the case, then that would be a problem.

Have the same problem sometimes even with "auto" recordings.  TCM will show a time on the monthly/daily schedule and then seem to change it on the show date which my TW dvr doesn't catch.  Even worse is when TW has a different movie listed than what's on the TCM schedule.

A lot of titles repeat, maybe not right away, but they come around again. If it's a very rare offering, then you probably have to manually record it and not leave it up the error of a machine or a slight deviation in the schedule.

As someone who still manually programs TCM recordings...

I assume this means the OP is right there waiting to push record when something starts. If something is starting 15 minutes late that should not be a problem since it's just a matter of waiting a little longer. If something is starting 15 minutes early, which is probably not the case, then that would be a problem.

Or he could have meant that the device is scheduled to record by manually entering the record start/stop times - and not being available to babysit it.  Some earlier non-provider DVRs worked like this.  As well as the "timer" in all VCRs.

One way around this, and the way that I use for blocks of shorts that I want to have, is to just record it as one huge segment that includes all wanted material, and then sort it out later.  This is a manually entered exception on a device that ordinarily uses provider scheduling (title-based recording).  I do that because the festivals of shorts never turn out right, even on a DVR with scheduled recording.  I could see that being more of a policy issue with the schedule providers, rather than TCM.  Perhaps they don't consider it a worthy cause to update the schedules for shorts, and that "might" make sense on an ordinary basis, as festivals of shorts are a bit of an anomaly.

@ Diane, the schedules are in constant state of flux, subject to change air times, and the schedule providers have to play "whack-a-mole" and be 100% correct in order for this system to work.

Or he could have meant that the device is scheduled to record by manually entering the record start/stop times - and not being available to babysit it.  Some earlier non-provider DVRs worked like this.  As well as the "timer" in all VCRs.

Yes. It would help if the OP could clarify what he meant.

@ Diane, the schedules are in constant state of flux, subject to change air times, and the schedule providers have to play "whack-a-mole" and be 100% correct in order for this system to work.

Actually TCM/TW is pretty good as long as you're just programming for the next day.  Some like NBCSN are a real PIA (just went through wacarat with figure skating <g>)

MovieCollectorOH understood what I meant--I manually enter the start and stop times because I use a standalone HDD/DVD recorder so I can copy programs to DVD. This device does not have a program guide.  I do not use a cable or satellite DVR where you just select the program and tell it to record it.  It may be that the cable/satellite DVRs have the correct adjusted times in their program guides, but in the past I have found TCM's online schedule to be more reliable.  I am not babysitting the recorder.  TopBilled, I hope I have clarified what I meant.

As I said in my original post, because I pad my recordings by ten minutes at the beginning and end, I haven't missed any movie endings yet.  I guess I can pad the ending time by 25 minutes, but if they start slipping even more...

The problem with recording huge blocks is that I need to know the length of the movie so I can adjust the recording quality to fit on DVD, so that I can high-speed copy the program to DVD.  If it is over 2 hours in length, I have to change the recording quality from SP to a lower quality in 10-minute increments.  I like to use the highest quality I can for each movie, and the movie lengths vary.   If I have to record huge blocks I would have to use the lowest common denominator recording quality which would be very low.

This phenomenon of being off by 15 minutes is relatively recent--the past month or so.  I have been recording from TCM for 17 years, so if this had happened in the past with the frequency I am seeing now, I would have noticed it.  It used to be their schedule slipped by 15 minutes once or twice a year.  But it has increased to once or twice a week within the past month.  So it's not like it's an endemic problem to TCM.  This seems to be some new error in scheduling that they could fix.

I was wondering if anyone has communicated with TCM about this.  They seem to ignore my emails so I was hoping someone with pull has communicated this to TCM.  But it sounds like no one else is being affected or bothered by this.  I realize my situation is probably unique, but I thought maybe some other viewers might be seeing the endings of their movie recordings cut off with the 15-minute slippage.

• Like 1

The biggest thing you are doing differently is manually entering the start/stop times, as you have confirmed.  The scheduled recorders are probably making up for most discrepancies, or else we'd be seeing more about it on these boards.  It sounds as if they have come to rely on the schedule providers to work out the differences.

I have a less common type of setup which uses a data subscription from Schedules Direct service in conjunction with NextPVR on an ordinary Windows computer.  So off the top of my head I cannot say for sure whether or not the usual provider schedules most people get on their rental DVRs have any issues or not.  I suspect not though.  I use scheduled recordings, and I haven't seen this recently - except for the festivals of shorts as I have already mentioned.

I pad my recordings too.  A couple minutes pre, and maybe 5 or 7 minutes post (not sure of actual # as it is buried somewhere in an .ini file).  The program blocks that have internal overruns are ok, as it still gets recorded.  In those the padding mainly takes care of just the beginning and end of that block.  [Provider DVRs with more than one tuner will work different from that and, taking into consideration the recording overlap, will use different tuners to pad every single entry in a block.]  The TCM-recording part of my setup essentially behaves as a single-tuner unit though, because its connected to a dedicated unit that is always tuned in to TCM.  In addition to that I occasionally also use my Directv DVR, in the same manner as others do, to record and watch other channels.

Probably TMI.  Oh well.

MovieCollectorOH understood what I meant--I manually enter the start and stop times because I use a standalone HDD/DVD recorder so I can copy programs to DVD. This device does not have a program guide.  I do not use a cable or satellite DVR where you just select the program and tell it to record it.  It may be that the cable/satellite DVRs have the correct adjusted times in their program guides, but in the past I have found TCM's online schedule to be more reliable.  I am not babysitting the recorder.  TopBilled, I hope I have clarified what I meant.

Thanks for clarifying. I agree that the online schedule is most reliable. It also provides information about whether something that should be in widescreen is actually going to be presented in widescreen.

• Like 1

The biggest thing you are doing differently is manually entering the start/stop times, as you have confirmed.  The scheduled recorders are probably making up for most discrepancies, or else we'd be seeing more about it on these boards.  It sounds as if they have come to rely on the schedule providers to work out the differences.

I have a less common type of setup which uses a data subscription from Schedules Direct service in conjunction with NextPVR on an ordinary Windows computer.  So off the top of my head I cannot say for sure whether or not the usual provider schedules most people get on their rental DVRs have any issues or not.  I suspect not though.  I use scheduled recordings, and I haven't seen this recently - except for the festivals of shorts as I have already mentioned.

I pad my recordings too.  A couple minutes pre, and maybe 5 or 7 minutes post (not sure of actual # as it is buried somewhere in an .ini file).  The program blocks that have internal overruns are ok, as it still gets recorded.  In those the padding mainly takes care of just the beginning and end of that block.  [Provider DVRs with more than one tuner will work different from that and, taking into consideration the recording overlap, will use different tuners to pad every single entry in a block.]  The TCM-recording part of my setup essentially behaves as a single-tuner unit though, because its connected to a dedicated unit that is always tuned in to TCM.  In addition to that I occasionally also use my Directv DVR, in the same manner as others do, to record and watch other channels.

Probably TMI.  Oh well.

I guess I can check my DirecTV and cable program guides to see if they show a different end time than the TCM online schedule and Now Playing.  I also use Schedules Direct to download TV listings as XML files using xmltv.  I do this to have a permanent copy of the listings so I can go back and correctly label old recordings since most online listings (with some exceptions like TCM) only let you go back one day or so.  I checked my XML file for DirecTV for Wednesday, December 14, and it shows the same incorrect start time for Dial M for Murder and The Two Mrs. Carrolls that Now Playing and the TCM online schedule did: 10:00 p.m. EST and midnight EST, respectively.  While TCM actually aired them at 10:15 p.m. and 12:15 a.m. and the title cards TCM aired after the movies that preceded these movies also showed these movies airing at 10:15 p.m. and 12:15 a.m.

I just saw another one, although this time it was in the other direction--fifteen minutes early!  The TCM online schedule and the Now Playing guide showed Test Pilot starting at 7 a.m. EST on Friday, December 16:

post-20845-0-49849900-1481996372_thumb.png

But it started at 6:45 a.m., and the title card that TCM aired right after Fonda on Fonda showed it starting at 6:45 a.m.

I refreshed the web pages and noticed that the online schedule has updated to have the correct times for Wednesday and Friday now.  But this is not just a "failure to refresh" problem on my part, because the page for Wednesday still displayed the wrong times on Thursday, well after the movies had aired.

I notice that in addition to displaying the correct times now, Wednesday's page is displaying shorts that it was not displaying when it had the times listed incorrectly.

post-20845-0-49849900-1481996372_thumb.png

I guess I can check my DirecTV and cable program guides to see if they show a different end time than the TCM online schedule and Now Playing.  I also use Schedules Direct to download TV listings as XML files using xmltv.  I do this to have a permanent copy of the listings so I can go back and correctly label old recordings since most online listings (with some exceptions like TCM) only let you go back one day or so.  I checked my XML file for DirecTV for Wednesday, December 14, and it shows the same incorrect start time for Dial M for Murder and The Two Mrs. Carrolls that Now Playing and the TCM online schedule did: 10:00 p.m. EST and midnight EST, respectively.  While TCM actually aired them at 10:15 p.m. and 12:15 a.m. and the title cards TCM aired after the movies that preceded these movies also showed these movies airing at 10:15 p.m. and 12:15 a.m.

Sounds good (the XML file usage).  I enjoy Tribune's concise wording, so that is what I use as well.  NextPVR has a plugin that generates mini XML files for each movie at time of showing.  I save those along with the actual movie until the last step of my archiving process, where I make sure the Tribune descriptions are entered in my movie collection DB.  The first chance for me to do this is when I am scheduling from a laptop.  NextPVR runs a mini web server (NEWA) which puts the schedule and descriptions up.  From that I copy and paste each one into my DB on my laptop.  If I miss it from there, then I can use the XML files later on.  This system does a pretty good job of correctly labeling everything that gets recorded.  I just haven't always verified that what I scheduled a couple weeks ago is what gets recorded in every single case.  Let us know what kinds of results you might have (Schedules Direct/Tribune versus material actually aired).

The TCM schedule seems to always be correct by the time it shows, or after the fact (not verified for airtime, but for content).  I have used this information to log the prior schedules, which you can see if you click on my signature.  I have done much testing on this in order to have confidence in it.  All schedule changes in recent months verified were found to be accurately updated by month-end on their monthly web schedule.

Let us know what kinds of results you might have (Schedules Direct/Tribune versus material actually aired).

Well, as I said, my XML file for Wednesday showed the same incorrect times as the TCM online schedule did.  However, I download ten days' worth of XML files at a time, and I downloaded the last batch on December 10, so it could have been corrected closer to Wednesday.  I am working on setting up a cron job to download the XML files each day rather than doing it by hand for ten days at a time.

However, I refreshed TCM's web page for Wednesday on Thursday and it was still showing the incorrect times--a day after the movies had aired.  TCM updated Wednesday's page with the correct times on Friday, but it does no good to update them with the correct time two days after the movies have aired.  This seems like a relatively new problem they need to get fixed.

I was looking at the DirecTV guide yesterday at 10:00 a.m. for a channel's lineup that afternoon.  At 2 p.m. the entire lineup for the afternoon and evening had changed from what it was showing at 10:00 a.m. the same morning.  Someone (not you or TopBilled) said "as long as you check the night before or same day you should be OK," but it looks like this is not necessarily true...

Well, as I said, my XML file for Wednesday showed the same incorrect times as the TCM online schedule did.  However, I download ten days' worth of XML files at a time, and I downloaded the last batch on December 10, so it could have been corrected closer to Wednesday.  I am working on setting up a cron job to download the XML files each day rather than doing it by hand for ten days at a time.

However, I refreshed TCM's web page for Wednesday on Thursday and it was still showing the incorrect times--a day after the movies had aired.  TCM updated Wednesday's page with the correct times on Friday, but it does no good to update them with the correct time two days after the movies have aired.  This seems like a relatively new problem they need to get fixed.

I was looking at the DirecTV guide yesterday at 10:00 a.m. for a channel's lineup that afternoon.  At 2 p.m. the entire lineup for the afternoon and evening had changed from what it was showing at 10:00 a.m. the same morning.  Someone (not you or TopBilled) said "as long as you check the night before or same day you should be OK," but it looks like this is not necessarily true...

Thinking about that, I do manually refresh the Schedules Direct data on my NextPVR DVR machine once a day (when it isn't busy recording).  That is mainly so that I can get the farthest day or two of scheduling done in advance from my laptop, but inadvertently I am also refreshing the nearest schedule.  So it would be truthful to say I do mine every day, but then I just don't bother looking back at it after that day has been scheduled.

I normally don't look at the Daily or Weekly schedule in TCM's website.  There was a case example about a week ago where I DID, as it pertained to a thread about a canceled movie, which I followed and commented in.  The Daily schedule took the longest to reflect the changes.  I don't know if it ever showed correct info.  It was wrong for a long time though, and due to what l would best describe as a glitch.  It kept some of us on the edge of our seats as we watched it change back and forth with no rhyme or reason. 

The Weekly and Monthly schedules were much more accurate, with the Weekly schedule accurately showing the schedule changes first.

So if you have been looking at the Daily schedule, try clicking on the Weekly tab at the top of the schedule and using that instead.

P.S. as far as your last statement, people tend to make a lot of false assumptions based on unexplained glitches and quirks of this website.  Especially when long-awaited premieres get canceled for no apparent reason.

I don't know if anybody in the universe except for me just turns on a television set and watches anymore. I can confirm for humans who use this very antiquated method of watching content, Dial M for Murder started at 10:15 pm just like it says here on the TCM website. I don't even know what an XML file is. I can't argue with this visual evidence you've presented that it apparently said differently at one time. I'm sure they have to occasionally make adjustments on the fly.

I don't know if anybody in the universe except for me just turns on a television set and watches anymore. I can confirm for humans who use this very antiquated method of watching content, Dial M for Murder started at 10:15 pm just like it says here on the TCM website. I don't even know what an XML file is. I can't argue with this visual evidence you've presented that it apparently said differently at one time. I'm sure they have to occasionally make adjustments on the fly.

XML files, in the context here, are used for scheduling purposes.  A standardized means to deliver a schedule from point A to point B (ie a schedule provider to a schedule user).  Most people on this forum with provider DVRs don't have to know about any of this.   For most DVRs the schedule delivery completely goes on behind the scenes, typically using a format such as XML or JSON for delivery. 

Voranis is in a different situation from most, so the info here probably won't be of much interest.

Noticed the same problem if going by times in Now Playing Guide.  I always check the Info feature on my cable system to verify the times.  It seems to be the most accurate, although I am sure they get their info from TCM.

Another problem is that TCM no longer furnishes times for shorts to Spectrum (nee Charter) Cable so not listed in info feature.

I have used the auto record feature on my cable box, but it is weird. Finally figured out that I have to leave the box on or the audio will not record.  It is useful to switch to different channels for recording though.

TCM's daily online schedule continued to show Dial M for Murder as starting at 10:00 p.m. well into Thursday, as the snapshot I took of the web page that I refreshed right before I started this thread on Thursday morning shows.  They did not update the online schedule until sometime after I started this thread on Thursday--after the movie had already aired on Wednesday night.

My point is that they seem to be having to make a lot more "adjustments on the fly" within the past month than they have before that.  This seems like a new problem.

Off by 15 minutes?  Huh- the schedule in the Watch TCM app is off by a full day and has been for over a month now.

This is probably about the same time frame as I have been observing the increased frequency of errors in the daily online schedule...

• 3 weeks later...

Another fifteen-minute shift occurred last night--Tuesday, January 3, 2017.  The online schedule showed Riot in Cell Block 11 starting at midnight and The Big House starting at 1:30 a.m.:

post-20845-0-60440400-1483594852_thumb.png

But the movies actually started at 12:15 a.m. and 1:45 a.m., respectively, and the title card at the end of Brute Force showed those correct times.

As I write this, at 12:37 a.m. on Thursday, January 5, I opened the TCM online schedule for January 3--a brand new, refreshed page, and it is STILL showing the incorrect times--a full day after the movies aired:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2017-01-03

I'm sure TCM will correct the online schedule for January 3 at some point after I post this, but what good does it do them to correct the mistakes AFTER the movie has aired?

post-20845-0-60440400-1483594852_thumb.png

Another fifteen-minute shift occurred last night--Tuesday, January 3, 2017.  The online schedule showed Riot in Cell Block 11 starting at midnight and The Big House starting at 1:30 a.m.:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-01-05 at 12.35.21 AM.png

But the movies actually started at 12:15 a.m. and 1:45 a.m., respectively, and the title card at the end of Brute Force showed those correct times.

As I write this, at 12:37 a.m. on Thursday, January 5, I opened the TCM online schedule for January 3--a brand new, refreshed page, and it is STILL showing the incorrect times--a full day after the movies aired:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2017-01-03

I'm sure TCM will correct the online schedule for January 3 at some point after I post this, but what good does it do them to correct the mistakes AFTER the movie has aired?

I can see where this is frustrating. If you're setting up a recording while you are asleep or not at home, then you have pad the stop times by adding an extra fifteen minutes so you get the end of the movie.

The corrected time was on TCM's daily on-line schedule well before the movie aired. I set my recorder to record "Riot In Cell Block 11" beginning at 12:15, and that's when the movie started. I saw that the time had been changed from 12:00 to 12:15 on the on-line daily schedule.

Why would I see that and not you?

What's your browser cache setting?

Is your browser displaying old pages it stored on your hard drive rather than actually loading newly corrected pages from the internet?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings