Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any Bias in the Press/Media ?

mr6666

OF course media has a bias.  Everyone has their own opinions, and on some things, having a bias is a good thing.  Personally, I have a strong bias against human sacrifice and cannibalism, and I don't see this as a problem. 

The problem is our old friend confirmation bias.   We point out all the flaws in the process, and then turn around an assume that Buddy on Twitter's twelfth hand account doesn't suffer from any of it because he happens to validate our opinions.

People mistake "media bias" with, "You're not telling me what I want to hear!"

Someone recently put it this way:

"If one person says it's raining, and another says it's not raining, it is not the job of journalists to present both sides of that argument. It's their job to look outside and see which is true."

It's an oversimplification, of course, but it does speak to the fallacy of the "both sides needing to be represented in all things" approach that the current media is fond of, as it breeds antagonism and thus higher ratings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rjbartrop said:

OF course media has a bias.  Everyone has their own opinions, and on some things, having a bias is a good thing.  Personally, I have a strong bias against human sacrifice and cannibalism, and I don't see this as a problem. 

The problem is our old friend confirmation bias.   We point out all the flaws in the process, and then turn around an assume that Buddy on Twitter's twelfth hand account doesn't suffer from any of it because he happens to validate our opinions.

People mistake "media bias" with, "You're not telling me what I want to hear!"

Only other people's media is bias,  and not the sources I use.

(and this isn't confirmation bias since it is the truth).

• Haha 1

On 1/24/2022 at 6:56 PM, mr6666 said:

:rolleyes:

Good question . What about Sarah Palin. I don't know the backstory. I've read news outlets refer to Trump's  daughter as being a mob daughter. Has either Trump or his ex-wife been convicted of a mob  crime.Gutfeld stuns colleagues, says 'Biden was right, it was a dumb question!' Peter Doocy asked (bizpacreview.com) Of course FOX treats her like a sainthood candidate. Somebody made a valid point reporters used to be part of the working class, but now they make millions so they are different. Just like teachers I'm not talking about CRT. I remember a teacher mentioning that in a parklot for a Steel plant. There were many foriegn cars.