Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trump vs. the Press/Media

I'm not real happy about this.  Although I don't like everything about MSNBC, I do like Joy Reed, Steve Kornacki, Chris Hayes, Rachel Maddow and Lawrence O'Donnell.  Hayes was nominated for a Peabody award a couple of years ago and won a news Emmy last year.  Lawrence's show is always interesting and how can you dislike a guy who raises money for school desks for Malawi kids (the KIND Fund) and scholarships for Malawi girls?

As a person, Hugh seems like a nice guy but he's on MSNBC just about every day now.  I don't agree with his politics but at least he doesn't yell.  Let Megyn Kelly have her NBC shows and leave MSNBC alone.  I'm kind of "meh" about Nicolle.  She's on MSNBC enough as it is. 

MSNBC has plenty of conservative guests on shows - they just don't fly off the handle as they may be conservative but they're not necessarily Trump supporters.  They tend to be more reasonable.  For example, I like the guy who has the Wisconsin radio show (Right on Wisconsin, or something like that) and the fellow who was an adviser to,I believe, Jeb Bush (sorry I'm blanking out on their names as I write this).  They're conservative, not crazy.

I will be extremely irked if one of my favorites loses a show so Hugh, Nicholle or Megyn can have more air time. 

As for Brian Williams back from wherever he was after being caught lying about his war experiences, he is OK sometimes but when he does stuff like go into ecstasy over the beauty of the bombing in Syria, well, the less said the better.

Have no idea where this is going,but I have become kind of disappointed in Hayes and Maddow and watch them very little, if at all.  Mainly during commercials on other channels.  They seem too intense, preachy and loud.  My wife refers to Maddow as the screaming woman even when I turn the sound down.  And they are obsessed with the same things they were six months ago.

As I have mentioned before, Maddow is particularly bad about going on and on and on before she gets to a point.  Long commercial breaks with breaks to tell you about her hear it here only, breaking news, etc. before resuming the commercials.  Then it really isn't all that important when she finally does get to it.  Hayes is only somewhat better.

I do like O'Donnell, but usually miss his show as 10 PM is my reading hour before going to bed.  Tonight was an accident of using the computer.  Don't watch news programs when Reed and Kornacki are on.  

Have actually watched some of Van Sustern's shows and seem OK to me.

As for Brian Williams - boring.  Also seems sort of pompous to me.

Maybe it is time to have the news become more centrist.  Actually for national news, I tend to watch HLN in the mornings and early afternoon before they go off the rails in the afternoon and evenings.

It's not just MSNBC, it's also CNN.

The problem with all of these news programming channels is that there is no news. News channels get a hold of a nugget or two of a trending issue or some gossipy rumour and beat it to death-- until they go on to the next thing.

CNN International actually presents the news along with news headlines and documentaries. I don't understand what's going on with CNN in the United States.

I also don't understand why both MSNBC and CNN can't have constructive and positive new documentaries, like Frontline on the PBS or the kind of stuff that Edward R. Murrow or Howard K. Smith used to do on CBS.

Of course, Lawrence O'Donnell, Rachel and Chris are excellent commentators and journalists. But there has to be more real news content and real news diversity in this programming to really keep me interested.

They need to reorganize their programming content to go forward because at the moment, except for a couple of these shows--it's very boring.

Fox is going to be forced to be restructured because of their sexual harassment and racial discrimination lawsuits.

With all the upheaval in this arena concerning Fox News, perhaps CNN and MSNBC will take this opportunity to improve their content as well.

I have no problems with some of the new commentators on MSNBC. I have enjoyed Michael Steele, Greta and Nicolle; I have no problems with people having different viewpoints and ways of looking at things, if they give logical statements backed up with factual evidence.

The only thing I refuse to listen to are the Trump talking- head dummies on CNN who don't have any factual sense of reality and just repeat the same Lies over and over because they're being paid to do so.

For real news and cultural features here and abroad, I've watched the BBC on television and have listen to it on the radio for over 20 years. It's hard to believe, but I have seen them cover Live Events in the US, like the horror in the Boston Marathon, more substantively than American- TV Networks.

I don't understand what's going on with CNN in the United States.

They are going for ratings, as ratings = $$$$. Fox has been the ratings leader for the past 15+ years, and so the other news channels have slowly but surely adopted the Fox News model of "news reporting". Be it the increase in flashy graphics, eye-popping sets and other visual gimmicks, attractive and/or polarizing on-air personalities, plus a drive to keep its audience outraged about something, it's the business model that has proven the most effective. 

• Like 1

The problem with all of these news programming channels is that there is no news. News channels get a hold of a nugget or two of a trending issue or some gossipy rumour and beat it to death-- until they go on to the next thing.

I remember when the national news went from 15 minutes once a day to 30 minutes.  Walter Cronkite (I think) said:  "There isn't 30 minutes of news in the world every day."

Before that you had roughly 8 minutes of local news, 4 minutes of sports and 3 minutes of weather.   

30 minutes for everything, including commercials.  Of course back then people relied on print media for its serious, hard news.

• Like 1

I've heard Hugh Hewitt a few times on the radio, enough to know that he's at home among the rightwing radio loonies, but not enough to know how much of the Kool-Aid he serves. Compared to Rush, Hannity, Michael Savage, Glenn Beck and Mark Levin, who are the other hosts carried on my local talk station, Hewitt seems the least bugnuts. But that's faint praise.

He's another DUMP lapdog....He's on the evening news shows as well (as a talking head).

Well, MSNBC must be doing something right. They are doing well at night (in ratings) I dont really care for Rachel, but I do like watching O'Donnell and Hayes sometimes. It should be good tonight! I dont care for Brian Williams at all and wish he had found another job. Smug and a snob.

• Like 1

Rogue POTUS Staff @RoguePOTUSStaff 9h9 hours ago

6) American news, either get your crap together or switch places w/ late night. So far you're the jokes while the satirists get it done.

Rogue POTUS Staff @RoguePOTUSStaff 9h9 hours ago

News orgs should start tapping trial lawyers and law enforcement to teach cross examination/interrogation techniques. Fully serious on that.

Well, MSNBC must be doing something right. They are doing well at night (in ratings) I dont really care for Rachel, but I do like watching O'Donnell and Hayes sometimes. It should be good tonight! I dont care for Brian Williams at all and wish he had found another job. Smug and a snob.

I've been looking for the fall of Brian Williams for number of years. What a jerk! I couldn't believe that they actually put him back on the air. Would you believe this smug and snob guy from comes from a working class neighborhood in Jersey-- now you can put that in your pipe and smoke it.LOL

• Like 1

I've been looking for the fall of Brian Williams for number of years. What a jerk! I couldn't believe that they actually put him back on the air. Would you believe this smug and snob guy from comes from a working class neighborhood in Jersey-- now you can put that in your pipe and smoke it.LOL

probably north jersey. :lol:

I thought it was silly when he referred to the firing of Comey as "Tuesday afternoon massacare" and related it to Nixon's Saturday Night Massacare.  Totally inappropriate and incorrect.  Shows a tremendous lack of knowledge of Nixon and the whole Watergate thing.

What Trump did was wrong and stupid, but he only fired one person.

I thought it was silly when he referred to the firing of Comey as "Tuesday afternoon massacare" and related it to Nixon's Saturday Night Massacare. Totally inappropriate and incorrect. Shows a tremendous lack of knowledge of Nixon and the whole Watergate thing.

Trump has fired everyone that has been getting close to the Russian story. Sally Yates almost immediately after warning the White House about the Flynn ties go Russian and his lies about it (at the time it seemed it was due to not wanting to defend the Muslim ban, but now the true reason is obvious). Then Comey, when he asked for more resources as he ratcheted up the Russian investigation. At least two prominent careerists, so far. And anyone else that tries to continue the investigation will meet a similar fate, as Trump freaks out as they start to get close. The only one he regrets is the firing of Flynn, which he was obviously not going to do until the Flynn/Russian stories started breaking in the press. Sets lie to the claim that "Once the negative report was reached, they had to act (re. Comey).....Not the way it was playing out with Flynn. More massacres to come, you can take that to the bank.
  • Like 3

I thought it was silly when he referred to the firing of Comey as "Tuesday afternoon massacare" and related it to Nixon's Saturday Night Massacare.  Totally inappropriate and incorrect.  Shows a tremendous lack of knowledge of Nixon and the whole Watergate thing.

Only one on that particular day.  it is 3 and counting of those who were investigating him.

• Like 1

Only one on that particular day.  it is 3 and counting of those who were investigating him.

all this is for naught. the democrats have no proof of their hateful allegations,

nothing.

without proof they can do nothing.

let them blow their wind. :)

all this is for naught. the democrats have no proof of their hateful allegations,

nothing.

without proof they can do nothing.

let them blow their wind. :)

Thank You! Which is why Trump fired Yates and Comey.....trying to bury the proof by removing those investigating his shenanigans.

• Like 2

Thank You! Which is why Trump fired Yates and Comey.....trying to bury the proof by removing those investigating his shenanigans.

Amazing how his supporters are so willing to come to the defence of a possible traitor.

I suppose if they defend his bigotry, hatred and misogyny then anything is possible.  Completely amoral and braindead.

• Like 3

Trump has fired everyone that has been getting close to the Russian story. Sally Yates almost immediately after warning the White House about the Flynn ties go Russian and his lies about it (at the time it seemed it was due to not wanting to defend the Muslim ban, but now the true reason is obvious). Then Comey, when he asked for more resources as he ratcheted up the Russian investigation. At least two prominent careerists, so far. And anyone else that tries to continue the investigation will meet a similar fate, as Trump freaks out as they start to get close. The only one he regrets is the firing of Flynn, which he was obviously not going to do until the Flynn/Russian stories started breaking in the press. Sets lie to the claim that "Once the negative report was reached, they had to act (re. Comey).....Not the way it was playing out with Flynn. More massacres to come, you can take that to the bank.

For sure.

Well, at least he's only on at 11pm at night. (that could change). Cant stand the guy!

• Like 1

And don't forget Sarah Huckabee whatsername.

Thanks for pinpointing the origin of the phrase! But I'm sure Sarah Huckabee Sanders -- who is sitting in for White House press secretary Sean Spicer -- will be able to spin this to Trump's advantage.

160226224317-exp-sarah-huckabee-sanders-

The Arkansas White House Hillbilly as Press Secretary

When will this Domestic Terrorism end for the White House Press Corps?

• Like 2

I never watched Williams when he was on NBC and I don't watch him

now, but I don't know if he came from a working class neighborhood.

His father was an executive vice president of the National Retail

Merchants Association in New York. Unless his old man had a

gambling or drinking problem, sounds like they were fairly comfortable.

The Arkansas White House Hillbilly as Press Secretary

Oooo, getting mean here.  Why is she a "Hillbilly?"  I am assuming you meant that in a derogatory sense.

She has a college degree from an accredited university.  Of course I guess all people from Kansas are Jayhawkers (as in the plundering marauder variety) and people from France are "frogs."

Incidentally, my mother was from Arkansas and far, far from being a "hillbilly."  

Oooo, getting mean here. Why is she a "Hillbilly?" I am assuming you meant that in a derogatory sense.

She has a college degree from an accredited university. Of course I guess all people from Kansas are Jayhawkers (as in the plundering marauder variety) and people from France are "frogs."

Incidentally, my mother was from Arkansas and far, far from being a "hillbilly."

I'm extremely proud to be a Jayhawker, indeed, in the John Brown sense of the word.

As far as this girl is concerned, I was really referring to her homophobic, racist, sexist, stupid father.

So I'll give her a little slack and just imagine,maybe, the Apple fell a

long distance from the tree.

But with her nepotism pro- Trump position, I don't have a lot of hope that she's all that intelligent. But after all, none of us want to imagine that we are just like our own father.Incidentally my grandmother's from Arkansas too.LOL

Don't be so sensitive-- after all we're all Americans. And that's what counts. And that's why we had to have a civil war: to prove the veracity of the Union.

We're All in This Together. E pluribus unum.

• Like 1

THE TRUMP LOYALISTS-

"....Why Trump is at pains to deny that he was under investigation by Comey’s FBI, when no one said he was under their scrutiny, is a question they leave unasked and unanswered. As for The Daily Caller, it is equally incurious. To explain Trump’s timing, it settles for a quote from the Wall Street Journal:

“He refused to ‘say those three little words: “There’s no ties,”‘....

"....You have to hope that these minions of the right are paid overtime, for it’s hard work twisting yourself into knots to pretend that the regime’s explanations make sense.

Even Charles Krauthammer on Fox News finds Trump’s explanation “implausible” and “inexplicable.” Krauthammer, who has not left his wits at the door to the Oval Office, breaks ranks to call attention to that “very strange clause…in the letter from Trump to Comey.”

That “very strange clause” consists of those 16 tantalizing words: “I greatly appreciate you informing me on three separate occasions that I am not under investigation.”

Who has been talking about FBI investigations on Trump? [Krauthammer asks.] This sort of explodes on us without any preparation, without any background. I suspect where this is going to go — is to that clause.

They do not — not yet — amount to a smoking gun.

But you know what Chekhov said about a different revolver. If it’s hanging on the wall in the first act, by the second or third it has to go off.

http://billmoyers.com/story/the-loyalists-trump-james-comey/

• Like 2