Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone Here Not Celebrate Christmas?

TikiSoo

I may love ITS A WONDERFUL LIFE, A CHRISTMAS CAROL and other Christmas stories, but I am not a practicing Christian and don't celebrate Christmas.

There are many non-Christians who celebrate gift giving & family gathering this time of year, but seems very few Americans like myself, who do not celebrate it at all. No gifts, no big party. 

As a part time cashier, a customer will sometimes say, "Have a merry Christmas!" If I answer that I do not celebrate their holiday, they'll have a shocked expression as if they don't believe it! (almost the same when I say I don't have cable TV or a cel phone) I am amazed so many Americans assume everyone is of the same faith.

My co-workers think I'm some sort of Scrooge for not "celebrating", but I find the entire buying frenzy pretty ridiculous. Instead, I just try being a good person to others all the time.

I may love ITS A WONDERFUL LIFE, A CHRISTMAS CAROL and other Christmas stories, but I am not a practicing Christian and don't celebrate Christmas.

There are many non-Christians who celebrate gift giving & family gathering this time of year, but seems very few Americans like myself, who do not celebrate it at all. No gifts, no big party. 

As a part time cashier, a customer will sometimes say, "Have a merry Christmas!" If I answer that I do not celebrate their holiday, they'll have a shocked expression as if they don't believe it! (almost the same when I say I don't have cable TV or a cel phone) I am amazed so many Americans assume everyone is of the same faith.

My co-workers think I'm some sort of Scrooge for not "celebrating", but I find the entire buying frenzy pretty ridiculous. Instead, I just try being a good person to others all the time.

I celebrate the pagan (decorating, gift giving, etc) but not the religious part.  The reason, NO ONE knows the exact day or even the month of Jesus's birth.  Why observe such an event that's not known??  Even the bible does not require such an observance, only the death and resurrection has some timeline put down.

I hate the modern way of decorating, the steady - nothing but white lights.  Old school, use multicolored flashing mixture or C9 (outside) and mini lights. - outside and in.  Do use a couple of white light spheres and one marquee sting.  Best music for me is the Living Voices "Little Drummer Boy", some modern Xmas music they play is horrendous.

I say Merry Christmas not the PC Happy Holidays. (nor do I have any thing that has HH's on it)

A little like my tree but has no room for another ornament..

ChristmasTree-2.jpg

ebf8f596b13c627037834a77454bfb25.jpg

My lighted tree top is similar to this one, after 20 years had to rebulb it.

ca03fa0f616c6a6624845f1d64e97d27.jpg

Chanukah was a very minor holiday which was elevated in stature to give Jewish kids an equivalent to Christmas.

I knew a Jewish guy at work who also celebrated the Christmas of Santa, gifts and the tree.  When somebody questioned him about it he said, "Just look at it as my celebrating X-mas, which has nothing to do with the CHRIST part." with a smile.  ;)

But this year, due to my wife's debilitating stroke and the livingroom of our house turned into a sort of "mini" nursing home( hospital bed displacing furniture and a table containing all the neccesary "accoutriments") there's no room for the tree.  But I will put up a few decorations, and those plactic electric "candles" in the windows.  But, there'll be no "going around visiting" this year.  And we'll be a no-show at our nephew's annual Christmas Eve get-together this year also.

But, with HIS wife's side of the family being there I'm sure we'll be able to HEAR it!  :D

Sepiatone

I also don't celebrate.   When someone asks me 'you don't celebrate Christmas??" I answer 'do you celebrate Ramadan?'.   Some get it,  most don't.     I do know many folks that celebrate the 'holidays';  I.e.  they are NOT Christians but celebrate because they want to.  Many have children and they want to have Santa and those other childhood memories but without the religion.

To each their own.

I celebrate the season.  Maybe it's to make up for my, at times, lousy behavior for the previous 11 months!  Oh well, we can always do better rather than try to be perfect since one's perception of the definition of 'perfect' can be "all over the road", so to speak.

I'm not into the outside light/decoration stuff.  The only thing I do outside is wrap some garland around the lamp post outside my house.  Inside, I put up a tree and a few other Christmas nick-nacks, but I don't go overboard with it.  I don't usually get a poinsettia, but I saw one at the grocery store I frequent, and it looked so nice and had a good price on it, so I bought it.  It's one of the veriegated types with speckled leaves.  I'm happy with my choice since other stores I've been to that sell poinsettias seem to have some sickly-looking stock!

I sing in my church choir, so it's good that I like Christmas music!  I'm also a song leader for regular weekend services, but if I'm not scheduled to do it, I usually blow off going to church.  I get where people are coming from about the religious aspect of this time of year.  I don't care if people say "Merry Christmas", "Happy Holidays", or "Season's Greetings"...it's the sentiment behind the statement that I appreciate.

I still send out Christmas cards, although not as many as I used to, since some of my recipients have died.  I do reward the first person to send me a card after Thanksgiving Day, by sending a small gift with their card.  I usually make cookies and scones this time of year to give as gifts to people around town.  The winner of my Christmas Card Sweepstakes Extravaganza will receive something I actually baked, myself!  I figure, as long as I enjoy doing it and am able to do so, I'll try to keep up the traditions associated with December festivities and merriment around my digs.

I gotta say I find some of these comments here terribly amusing--

Rarely been able to find anything that has to do with Christianity in the American celebration of Christmas.

Being a Christian really has nothing to do with whether or not you celebrate Christmas in the United States.

Christmas in the United States is--

* all about spending money you don't have for presents for people you don't even like,

*going to parties getting drunk and eating too much food so that you don't remember how much you ate or what you ate or what you did-- and if it's an office party you're awfully sorry about that later.

In terms of children Christmas is getting toys and other special presents, eating a lot of special Foods specialty candy and not having to go to school for a long time.

Christmas in the United States is primarily all about having a good time yourself, and bragging about how much money you're spending on yourself and others and maybe even bragging about giving some money to the less fortunate and a charity.

I have to say quite frankly if the American Jewish composer could write the most popular American Christmas song, White Christmas, in a secular movie in a secular manner because that was his job-- I don't see what a secular Christmas has to do with Christianity.

And then too there's always Frosty the Snowman.

If there's any god looking out for the American Christmas, it's the god of capitalism-- taking the appearance of MasterCard and Visa, online shopping with Amazon, Macy's or JCPenney or Dillard's at the mall.

I don't think there's any room for Jesus in the American secular Christmas. He was replaced by Santa Claus decades ago in this truly All- American secular materialistic holiday.

We do not celebrate Christmas in the same manner as most Americans. 

I have related this several times before and so I apologize for being redundant and boring but it

may be that there are some here who have not fallen victim to my ramblings read of our

celebrations and so I will recap:

December 19th is St. Nicholas Day. Good boys and girls find coins, candy and small toys in their

shoes when they wake up. This is one day of year when it is good to have large feet! Any present

which may fit into a shoe is fair game. Gold coins are most welcome. An amazing amount of silk

may be stuffed into a shoe!

We have a "Charlie Brown Christmas Tree" and a tree which is a wall-hanging which my

husband knit many years ago as part of rehabilitation therapy for his hand. We have only a few gifts for

each other on December 25th and most are not ones which can be put under a tree.

New Year's Day is when Father Frost and his grand-daughter Snow Maiden bring presents. I have

found this to be quite advantageous because it allows me to shop during After-Christmas sales!

I have shared this link many times but I present it here because I feel that it captures the spirit of

the season and its innocence touches me deeply:

The first thirty seconds are poor graphics and raspy audio which are annoying but can be

endured.

I should note that Snow Maiden has a long braid and wears blue.

January 7 is Christmas Day. We have Holy Supper the night before. It is twelve dishes with no

meat or butter. I am sad to say that there is no sour cream also. It is meal of reverence. There is

straw on the floor and a small sheaf of wheat tied with ribbon on the table. An Angel will bring your

most special present of the season during the night. Christmas Day is spent visiting friends and

sharing blessings of the season.

I have related this several times before and so I apologize for being redundant and boring but it
may be that there are some here who have not fallen victim to my ramblings read of our

December 19th is St. Nicholas Day. Good boys and girls find coins, candy and small toys in their
shoes when they wake up. This is one day of year when it is good to have large feet! Any present
which may fit into a shoe is fair game. Gold coins are most welcome. An amazing amount of silk

We have a "Charlie Brown Christmas Tree" and a tree which is a wall-hanging which my
husband knit many years ago as part of rehabilitation therapy for his hand. We have only a few gifts for
each other on December 25th and most are not ones which can be put under a tree.

New Year's Day is when Father Frost and his grand-daughter Snow Maiden bring presents. I have
found this to be quite advantageous because it allows me to shop during After-Christmas sales!

I have shared this link many times but I present it here because I feel that it captures the spirit of

The first thirty seconds are poor graphics and raspy audio which are annoying but can be
endured.

January 7 is Christmas Day. We have Holy Supper the night before. It is twelve dishes with no
meat or butter. I am sad to say that there is no sour cream also. It is meal of reverence. There is
straw on the floor and a small sheaf of wheat tied with ribbon on the table. An Angel will bring your
most special present of the season during the night. Christmas Day is spent visiting friends and

Found this beautiful gif animation of the Snow Maiden last year.

Russian-Snowmaiden-Snegurochka-2.gif

I have "One Two Three, Light The Christmas Tree" on DVD, the English version is a bit off - something lost in translation.  Like the Russian version better (also on DVD).

Masha as one is cute.

masha_and_the_bear_cartoon_girl_snow_mai

I'm not religious but I still enjoy Christmas. Of course Christmas

has its secular aspects as well as its religious ones, so there

is something for everyone. I'm just getting my decorations ready

and have to order all my fudgey chocolate Christmas goodies

pretty soon. Marry Christmas or Happy Holidays. I can go either

way. Merry Holidays. Happy Christmas.

I'm not religious but I still enjoy Christmas. Of course Christmas

has its secular aspects as well as its religious ones, so there

is something for everyone. I'm just getting my decorations ready

and have to order all my fudgey chocolate Christmas goodies

pretty soon. Marry Christmas or Happy Holidays. I can go either

way. Merry Holidays. Happy Christmas.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EACH & EVERYONE!

I celebrate Festivus........

So Hibi. I gotta know.

What's your specialty in the Feats of Strength part? And do ya have to disrobe any garments at all before doin' it? 

(...just curious...that's all)

;)

And re the original question here...

Yep, gotta say this here agnostic and his wife have a Xmas tree sittin' right here in our living room, alright.

I guess years of conditioning and peer-pressure win the day again, eh?! ;)

And btw, I especially liked what midwesty said here..."I don't care if people say "Merry Christmas", "Happy Holidays", or "Season's Greetings"...it's the sentiment behind the statement that I appreciate."

(...good show, ol' boy...couldn't agree more!)

And re the original question here...

Yep, gotta say this here agnostic and his wife have a Xmas tree sittin' right here in our living room, alright.

I guess years of conditioning and peer-pressure win the day again, eh?! ;)

And btw, I especially liked what miswesty said here..."I don't care if people say "Merry Christmas", "Happy Holidays", or "Season's Greetings"...it's the sentiment behind the statement that I appreciate."

(...good show, ol' boy...couldn't agree more!)

Dargo--

I always wanted to do a survey about Christmas trees.

My mother always had the Christmas tree spray painted white, pink or gold like they were in the department stores. Then after that, she just bought one of those aluminum fake trees.

One Christmas I just took my allowance and went down to the corner grocery store and bought a little green tree and put it in the basement, decorated with colored lights and balls. Wasn't that funny?

I hope you have a green tree to this year!

And as my favorite American composer, who happened to be Jewish said,

" And may all your Christmases be white."

endured.

Very interesting.  Thanks for sharing.  I enjoyed the video.

I hear Santa singing Stenka Razin.  A major hit for The Seekers as "The Carnival Is Over".  Something a Seekers fan might recognize.

We actually "won" the tree sitting here a couple of years ago, Princess. I'll explain...

As we used to do in L.A. and now here in Sedona, we go to one of those "Festivals of the Trees" kind of things, and where you can silent (written) bid for a tree that was decorated by some entity, such as a business or charitable group. All the proceeds go to charities.

All of the trees have some sort of theme to them, and the one we bid on and won by being the highest bid was one of those pre-lit plastic trees and themed in an "old fashioned" 1940s/50s manner. It even came with a train set that goes around it.

We actually "won" the tree sitting here a couple of years ago, Princess. I'll explain...

As we used to do in L.A. and now here in Sedona, we go to one of those "Festivals of the Trees" kind of things, and where you can silent (written) bid for a tree that was decorated by some entity, such as a business or charitable group. All the proceeds go to charities.

All of the trees have some sort of theme to them, and the one we bid on and won by being the highest bid was one of those pre-lit plastic trees and themed in an "old fashioned" 1940s/50s manner. It even came with a train set that goes around it.

My parents were very halfhearted about celebrating Christmas. They used to use a shoe tree as a Christmas tree.

Christmas stopped being a "religious" holiday a long time ago.  Just enjoy it for the season it is.

I celebrate the pagan (decorating, gift giving, etc) but not the religious part.  The reason, NO ONE knows the exact day or even the month of Jesus's birth.  Why observe such an event that's not known??  Even the bible does not require such an observance, only the death and resurrection has some timeline put down.

I hate the modern way of decorating, the steady - nothing but white lights.  Old school, use multicolored flashing mixture or C9 (outside) and mini lights. - outside and in.  Do use a couple of white light spheres and one marquee sting.  Best music for me is the Living Voices "Little Drummer Boy", some modern Xmas music they play is horrendous.

I say Merry Christmas not the PC Happy Holidays. (nor do I have any thing that has HH's on it)

Actually, Merry Christmas is the PC version.  I use Happy Holidays mostly.  Especially with the people I know who are so adamantly opposed to it.  Ironically, the least "Christian" people I know are the ones most opposed to Happy Holidays.  Incidentally, I'm a non-practicing Southern Baptist.

We still do a lot of non-religious decorating, inside and out.  My wife also bakes a lot of cookies and such to give away.

Tips:  take pictures of how you decorated so you will remember next year how you did it.  This may include the steps you take.  EX.  which table actually goes under the sheet you have a small tree on.  Attach tags to some things.  We hang garlands around doors outside and I attach tags for which is right side-helps to get it to hang even every year and to match hanging points with hooks.  This makes it go much quicker each year, until wife decides to switch things around.

Also found out that out of date surge protectors work great as power strips.

I found a 4.5 ft. white tree and attached white lights to display my collection of Hallmark trains.

Archived