Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

STOTM Myrna Loy was voted "Queen of Hollywood"

spence

I've written about this cinefact several times over 16yrs on here, but thought it appropriate again of course due to TCM voting-(NOTE: LawrenceA & others, do they vote for monthly "Stars of the Month" or how do they go about choosing them by the way?)

I've saved all my past issues of "Now Playing" but like a lot of my books, are still in boxes-(100's). Smaller apt now. Stop getting it though a few yrs ago. I bet she was it before though? & is it Cary Grant-(l904-l986) *James Stewart-(l8908-97) or *Bette Davis-(l908-89) that has been it's "STOTM' the most times. I know NATALIE was just chosen it for her 2nd time in November. & PLEASE LET ME KNOW, HOW MANY TIMES HAVE BOTH: *"THE GREAT: TRACY" & *"CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD: *SINATRA" BEEN CHOSEN IT TO DATE???

Anyway, Myrna Loy-(l905-1993) is obviously it December "STOTM" & I wager she's been it previously in 22yrs of the network. Most know she never even earned 1 single shot at an *Oscar though-(also wrote about the huge controversy surrounding the 1934 *Oscars) But for my $dough$ the ladies that were really shortchanged that year were *Davis in "0f Human Bondage": & Lombard in "Twentieth Century" even over Loy in "The Thin Man" Especially when the did nominate *Shearer in the stiff "Barretts of Wimpole Street" (MGM) instead?

FDR was known to be among very first U.S. President's to love THE MOVIES" ("Snow White..." & Eleanor admitted he had a huge crush on Myrna.) & the legendary factoid of John Dillinger-(l903-34) literally losing his life when sneaking out to see her newest-latest-(ironically a gangster picture & remade far superior as "Angels With Dirty Faces") He was also said to be a ladies' man, but his heart belonged to Myrna Loy. "Manhattanj Melodrama" (M-g-M) (***) was the film playing at the still present "Biograph Theatre"

& then & I'm positive, much to the competitive chagrin of the likes of: *Bette Davis, *Joan Crawford-(l904-77) & *Norma Shearer-(l900-83) nicknamed "Queen of the MGM lot, because of being married to *Thalberg of course) I'm certain a Garbo or *K. Hepburn couldn't have cared-less about what happened in a mammoth-(over 20 million fans voted) in 1938-(while they were filming *"GWTW") *Clark Gable-(l90l-60) as "The King of Hollywood" & then, almost all were stunned when Loy was voted "The Queen of Hollywood" instead of those actresses. L.B. Mayer-(l885-l957) at first typoically tried to take advantage of it & the publicity by having a tacky presentation at the studio. *Gable hated it, him & after awhile that title.

But an official & classier presentation was held on H. Blvd at "The El Capitain'-(still-there) & of all people, sometimes pal *Tracy crowned him

My picks for "Essential Myrna Loy"-(limited to juust 4 like TCM "GP's):

*1. "The Best Years of 0ur Lives" (l946) (Goldwyn/RKO)

2. "The Thin Man" (l934) (M-G-M)

3. "Test-Pilot" (l9378) (MGM)

4. "Libeled Lady" (l936) (M-G-M)-(though Harlow stole the show)

THANX

Forgot some Loy trivia. She was also never awarded the annual AFI-(American Film Institute-(est: 1967-) Lifetime Achievement Award

& to add insult to injury, when AFI did it's huge follow-up/sequel to it's 1998 "AFI's 100yrs...100 Movies" (poll/survey & tv special)

In "AFI's 100 Years...100 Stars" (l999) & this time they only named the top 25 male & female movie stars

She wasn't even voted in the top #25 actresses???

A Montana girl, she chose there to be laid to rest & did finally get somekind of acknowledgment from her peers, an honorary *Oscar.

She did receive the Kennedy Center Honor and a lifetime achievement award from AMPAS.

She was voted Star of the Month this time by a vote of the members of TCM Backlot. $87 annual fee if you're interested.

ETA: Just looked at her entry on Wikipedia. There's apparently a building named for her on the MGM lot in Culver City and she has a star on the walk of fame in Hollywood.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings