Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BEST CHRISTMAS MOVIES

JakeHolman

Now, the very best Xmas flick I ever saw starred Robert Mitchum. Uh-huh, I think it was called "A Holiday Affair from Out of the Past", or somethin' like that anyway.

Mitchum is this hardboiled private detective, see. And while he's out lookin' for this one crazy broad who's skipped town, he meets this nice widow lady with a kid. The only problem is that the widow lady still has a flame burnin' for her dead husband, and so when he...umm...when he...err...

(...wait, I think I might be confusin' two of his movies together here...sorry...never mind)

• Like 2

Now JAKE.   "Best" Christmas movie would be a matter of opinion.  If you mean someone's FAVORITE Christmas movies, or the ones we LIKE the "best", well.....

SCROOGE( British title of the 1951 film with ALISTAIR SIM)

HOLIDAY AFFAIR

MIRACLE on 34th STREET

IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE

PERIOD OF ADJUSTMENT

DIE HARD

A CHRISTMAS STORY

FOUR CHRISTMASES

CHRISTMAS VACATION

THE SANTA CLAUSE

Sepiatone

For me there are two must sees for Christmas:

A Christmas Story and Love Actually:

followed by a rendition of Adam Sandler's "Chanukah Song" which I dearly love and was lucky enough to see and hear it the first time on Saturday Night Live. 

Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukah

• Like 1

Love Actually

Sweet, funny and big laughs.

Falling In Love 

No one ever mentions this as a Christmas movie but it

begins and ends at Christmas and is one of my favorites.

Plus, it has Streep & DeNiro AND Jane Kaczmarek in a small

but unforgettable role.

White Christmas

I know, I know.  But, I am a total sucker for this film.

• Like 1

Love Actually

Sweet, funny and big laughs.

Falling In Love 

No one ever mentions this as a Christmas movie but it

begins and ends at Christmas and is one of my favorites.

Plus, it has Streep & DeNiro AND Jane Kaczmarek in a small

but unforgettable role.

White Christmas

I know, I know.  But, I am a total sucker for this film.

I'm a total sucker for White Christmas too. The thing is, of all of the Christmas movies, it is the one that loses all of its allure as soon as it becomes December 26th. I have no idea why (for me) this is true.

You can count me in for "White Christmas" as a fave.  Even in the dog days of summer, I'll catch myself humming or thinking of one of those Irving Berlin tunes used in the movie.  Vera-Ellen was one of the very best of the 'athletic' dancers, and she shines in this.

Another one I really like is "Remember the Night".  The plot is on the hokey side, but all the emotions and sentiments expressed by the players is something just about everyone who watches it can relate to.  To wit:  There are good people and not so good people in the world.  Especially around this time of year, we tend to be more generous and forgiving to those less fortunate than us.  The 'wayward' people of the world may or may not deserve a second chance, and this movie portrays that in subtle and direct ways.  We have experienced both sides of this spectrum ourselves, for the most part.

• Like 5

I'm a total sucker for White Christmas too. The thing is, of all of the Christmas movies, it is the one that loses all of its allure as soon as it becomes December 26th. I have no idea why (for me) this is true.

I understand liking White Christmas as I do too...especially its over the top Technicolor outfits but I miss the fact that hardly anyone pays homage to its earlier version: Holiday Inn.   I believe that version has more impact on me emotionally as the movie aired in 1942 when the War outcome was still unknown. "I'll Be Home for Christmas" is just so poignant as the war was just beginning to yield victories and so many families had been separated.  Anyway, that's how I feel...

• Like 3

I understand liking White Christmas as I do too...especially its over the top Technicolor outfits but I miss the fact that hardly anyone pays homage to its earlier version: Holiday Inn.   I believe that version has more impact on me emotionally as the movie aired in 1942 when the War outcome was still unknown. "I'll Be Home for Christmas" is just so poignant as the war was just beginning to yield victories and so many families had been separated.  Anyway, that's how I feel...

Holiday Inn is just so much MORE of a "Christmas" movie (even though it sets out to do all the holidays), and not just because it has actual snow in it.

By the time White Christmas came out in the 50's, the musical was waning, the Big Nightclub Show was now the Big TV Broadcast, and musical titles were now songs we already knew from other movies, since the lack of songwriters meant musicals were now recycled out of old songwriter catalogs.  Not to mention the 50's vet-reunion sentimentality for the Old G.I. Days With Our Lovable Sarge, which, again, there was a lot less of in 1942, when we were worried over heavy losses overseas.

I'll second the sentiments on "Home For Christmas", and add that Bing's solo "White Christmas" is more wistful than the big TV-onstage version we get in the later movie, and even the seasonal-generic "Happy Holidays" has enough holiday tinsel on it.  

It's been one of my psychological triggers to hear anyone think that Crosby, Kaye & Clooney was "the" Movie With the Song In It, but now that the increasing desperation for Broadway to pimp old movies has brought back a stage Holiday Inn for the season, now maybe a few more darn lazy people will have heard of it.

• Like 1

As much as I've been a Kaye fan since childhood, I never could get into WHITE CHRISTMAS.  The only time during the holiday it comes to mind for me is when, in CHRISTMAS VACATION as Clark is having a meltdown, he demands;

"....we'll have the HAP_HAP HAPPIEST CHRISTMAS since Bing Crosby Tap danced with Danny F*****ING Kaye!"   :D

Sepiatone

Ya know folks, I'm REALLY startin' to get the feelin' that ol' Jake here is tryin' to tell us that we better start embracin' that whole "The reason for the season" message here or else SOME of us are CERTAIN for that whole "Eternal Damnation" thing!!! ;)

(...well, that's the message I'M gettin' here anyway...anybody ELSE???)

LOL

• Like 1

SERENDIPITY(2001) too, begins and ends at Christmastime, so I guess you could include it too.

It's the movie in which I first fell in love with KATE BECKINSALE.  :wub:

Sepiatone

That's one crazy movie.  First time I saw it I had a fever and was feeling whacked out to begin with.  It didn't help that it was being shown overnight and keeping me wide awake when I should have been catching up on my sleep.  Quite memorable though. 

Ya know folks, I'm REALLY startin' to get the feelin' that ol' Jake here is tryin' to tell us that we better start embracin' that whole "The reason for the season" message here or else SOME of us are CERTAIN for that whole "Eternal Damnation" thing!!! ;)

(...well, that's the message I'M gettin' here anyway...anybody ELSE???)

LOL

Nah, couldn't care less what you believe. Learned long ago to shake off the dust and move on with your kind.

;)

• Like 1

Frosty The Snowman.  Jimmy Durantee's narration and singing, Paul Frees as Santa, Rankin-Bass's "Hallmark Card" look.  Everything is done just right.

I see National Lampoon's Christmas has been mentioned, and that is good.

As far as TCM movies, Remember the Night (1940), the one with Fred McMurray and Barbara Stanwyck.  I must admit I haven't watched all the likely Christmas movies yet, but I like this because it is a quiet and intimate setting.  Quite the opposite of Fred Astaire appearing to dance on top of firecrackers.

Then for best Bible Epic it is no contest.  King Of Kings (1927).

Also there is a 22 minute short that sometimes gets played, I think everyone should see:  Star In The Night (1945).  It stars J. Carrol Naish and Donald Woods.  Oddly enough the last time I recorded this was in the middle of July 2015.

• Like 1

Nah, couldn't care less what you believe. Learned long ago to shake off the dust and move on with your kind.

;)

Yep, don't blame ya at all, dude.

Like that rock group from that mid-western state always says, "All we are is dust in the wind"...'specially "my kind". ;)

(...and btw...here's hopin' your Christmas is a very good one...you good ol' boy, you)

Yep, don't blame ya at all, dude.

Like that rock group from that mid-western state always says, "All we are is dust in the wind"...'specially "my kind". ;)

(...and btw...here's hopin' your Christmas is a very good one...you good ol' boy, you)

Merry Christmas

• Like 1

Cute little Natalie Wood, as the girl whose "modern" mother tries to convince her there is no Santa, really captures for me the feeling of the holiday season in Miracle on 34th Street.

What I particularly like about this film is that it starts at Thanksgiving and continues right on through to Christmas Day.

It centers on a little girl and her relationships with the adults around her.

I also think it shines a light on the egocentric- materialism that some people show during the holidays.

But in the end, at least in this movie anyhow, you can see some how some generous individuals can change lives for the better-- by giving, not just money and material things, but also by giving of themselves at Christmas, that is the true spirit of Christmas.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings