Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A POLL; vote for your all-time favorite movie?

spence

I've conducted these type of polls & or surveys on various other sites, including TCM's companion piece on Facebook (TCM FANATICS (A CELEBRATION OF HOLLYWOODS GREATEST ERA)-(they are constantly getting new members as I write this. Mr. John Toll is the main owner & editor & he's the 1 that suggested such fun polls of fans)

All-Time Favorite Motion Picture was the first-(just started No. #11)>

*"Casablanca" won in it's poll & by quite a bit too.

Actors: *Spencer Tracy much to my surprise & delight & I thought *Bogie or Cary Grant would take it

Actresses: *B. Davis by a lot!

Directors: no surprise in Hitch winning

Worst: "Howard the Duck"

& a few more so far. So I thought the readers on here may also want to have a shot at it HOPEFULLY

& as with that poll on FB-(P.S. I really haven't been involved with the other newer TCM fan site one though)

So, I'll start with my own:

(must be devided into 2 categories though)

*"The Godfather" (l972) is my all-timer, but "Kane" truly is the greatest I've yet to see!

THANK YOU & PLEASE CAST YOUR VOTES

• Like 1

Realize that asking for "favorites" has NOTHING to do with anyone's pick meaning their choice is a "good" movie or not, as I have a friend who insists that not only is the original TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE the BEST movie ever made, but also HIS "favorite".

See my point?

That being said, I can only state due to much sentimental influence, and long time adoration, that MY favorite "all time" movie is THE WIZARD OF OZ.

For me, there's NO clear-cut favorites among actors, actresses and directors.  WAY too many vying for #1.

I also suggest hasty disavowment of FaceBook, as it might have a HUGE detrimental affect on both your spelling and grammar.  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

For my favorite it would probably be a tie between "Exit Smiling", "Dangerous Corner", "Scarlet Street", and "You Never Can Tell", and "Bridge to the Sun". It depends on what mood I'm in as to which of the five is my favorite at any given time.If I was a guest TCM programmer I would want to pick four out of these five.

The most overlooked of my favorites - "College Scandal (1935)".

Best movie ever made - Tie between "Citizen Kane" and "The Princess Bride".

• Like 1

Realize that asking for "favorites" has NOTHING to do with anyone's pick meaning their choice is a "good" movie or not, as I have a friend who insists that not only is the original TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE the BEST movie ever made, but also HIS "favorite".

See my point?

That being said, I can only state due to much sentimental influence, and long time adoration, that MY favorite "all time" movie is THE WIZARD OF OZ.

For me, there's NO clear-cut favorites among actors, actresses and directors.  WAY too many vying for #1.

I also suggest hasty disavowment of FaceBook, as it might have a HUGE detrimental affect on both your spelling and grammar.  ;)

WHAT?

Sepiatone

See my point?

WHAT?

Again the denotation of (*) or more has always been utilized in books, the net,etc whenever it's needed that is. Even Mr. 0sborne uses it in his books?

& picking one's favorite of anything is of course all subjective. Like the person you mentioned.

That doesn't matter when someone wants to cast a vote for favs & such.

Sepiatone

Just for the record of this poll A few other critics, filmmaskers,etc & their own personal all-time favorite films>

*Woody Allen-*(l935-) "City Lights" "Duck Soup" "Kane" & "Treasure Sierra Madre"

James Agee-(l909-l955) arguably the finest screenwriter ever, scripting "A. Queen" & "Night of the Hunter" However, he admired "City Lights" "Citizen Kane" "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" the most & passed away very young?

*Clint Eastwood's-(l930-) always claimed 1941's *Oscar sweeping *"How Green Was My Valley" was his fav. picture & you'd think that the likes of *Gary Cooper & *James Stewart would be his heroes, but he always includes *Cagney!

*Steven Spielberg's-(l946-) "Pinocchio"

*Ron Howard-(l953-) "It's a Wonderful Life"

Roger Ebert's-(l942-2013) "Kane" & when pressed Gene Siskel=-(l946-99) would call "200l" his "Desert Island" pick. It's so strange, I grew up with these guys on various networks starting in 1979.

Joel Siegel-(l943-2007) of GMA also used to write me old fashioned style & listed "Kane" & *"Casablanca"

Robert 0sborne's-(l932-) well, as he told S. Donen when he had him on an interview that 7 of his were in his own top ten. However, when it came down to it he calls "A Place in the Sun" the perfect example of Drama.

Not sure about Ben Mankiewicz-(l967) yet though, but did some research months ago & *"West Side Story" *"Ben-Hur" *"All About Eve" & "0ut of Sight" were listed & I do know his movie hero is Steve McQueen.

Peter Bogdanovich-(l939-) not entirely certain what his #1 is. I own a pretty good book of his since the mind 1990's "52 Movies A Year" or "A Movie A Night?" I do know he rated Hawks over *Ford.

*Martin Scorsese-(l942-) He goes back and fourth between: "Vertigo" & "The Searchers" at his top

Pauline Kael-(l9l9-2001) very famous critic, did print her list of her all-time top 10 & of course "KANE" was not among them! "Intolerance" was #1

*James Stewart & *Capra both always insisted that "It's a Wonderful life" was the best movie anyone ever made.

& to cast a few personal votes. This 1 is for my mum (Robyne) a fellow moviegoer & also, annually predix the *Oscars in our lil contest. Although she's not a fan of old B & W cinema, as a kid, the only old pictures she'd ever have on were *Cagney's & her fav. pic *"Dances With Wolves" & *"GWTW"

& some girl most probably never even heard of, some blonde Italian music & film star & is now past age 58

But, were actually "Friend's" & correspond. Madonna (Louise Veronica) Ciccone's fav. movies are: "To Kill a Mockingbird" *"Engllish Patient" & "A Place in the Sun" her idols ever since childhood are both: Dietrich & Monroe.

THANX & PLEASE DO GIVE IN YOIUR 2 or 3 CENTS???

The only comment I'll now make here spence, is how I find this comment of your's somewhat surprising...

Pauline Kael-(l9l9-2001) very famous critic, did print her list of her all-time top 10 & of course "KANE" was not among them! "Intolerance" was #1

You see, I find it surprising because I always thought it was primarily Kael who in her 1971 essay "Raising Kane" not only created a small firestorm of controversy with her suggestion that Orson Welles' contributions to this film were minimal but who also stated her great admiration for the movie overall, and which also in turn seemed to bring about a resurgence in public interest for this film.

(...and so for you to include the words "of course" in your above text, and which seems to me to suggest that she generally dismissed the film, and even though it might not have quite made her personal Top 10 all-time list, kind'a sort'a surprised me here)

• Like 1

Just for the fun of it, a few more all-time favoirite films of some:

Longtime pal o'mine & used to collect so many videos & books, he had to keep them in a storage bin
Frank Disharoon's *"Ben-Hur" *"Lawrence of Arabia" & hew always loved "The Big Country" & "Magnificent &" best of Westerns. Don't know if he's even still alive, suffered from awful diabetes which created alzheimers & had to be placed in home around 2002. He's only be age 70 now though, Frank used to go to even more new releases then myself too!

Ernest Hemingway-(l899-l96l) his fav. of all his works was "For Whom the Bell Tolls" & his ideal actor was *Coop & lady Ava Gardner

Leonard Maltin-(like the also already gone Joel Siegel) used to snail-mail me-(hate that phrase) & sent his top ten all-timers & with ET logo at the time & *"Casablanca" was at the top

Stephen King-(l947-) He did his best writing for EW & compared "United 93" up there to the likes of "Kane" & *"The Godfather. King also rates "Wages of Fear" & "Sorcerer" up there

Johnny Carson's-(l925-2005) also when asked *"Casablanca"

Hugh Hefner-(l926-) TCM had him on as a GP once & he let it be known *Bogie was his hero-(P.S. "Playboy Mansion" is not far from where he lived) & *"Casablanca" again.

Winoina Ryder's-(l97l-) also a friend of TCM & "Ball of Fire" "The Front" "A Face in the Crowd" & "12 Angry Men" were her 4 pix. Her idol was always Stanwyck, but worships *K. Winslet.

Larry King=-(l933-) back when Larry used to simultaneously write for USA Today & have his radio show & this was in the late '80's during the colorization controversy & he wrote they could never colorize *"Waterfront"

& now though he's turned into a politician all of a sudden? I remember Jeffrey Lyons ("The Graduate") & him being on "Sneak Previews"-(Eb & Sis' old title) But Michael Medved is different thesdays & still pix a tremendous film though "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington"

& *Orson Welles-(l9l5-l985) How could I forget his main cinematic influence, especially while shooting "Kane" It was "Stagecoach" over, over & over of course

*William Goldman-(l931-) the *Oscar winning screenwriter once in awhile used to also write stuff for "Premiere" & called "Gunga Din" the best ever

Rex Reed-(l938-) DOES ANTYONE REALLY GIVE A DAMN? & THIS JOKER IS STILL AROUND TOO?

THANK YOU

• Like 1

The only comment I'll now make here spence, is how I find this comment of your's somewhat surprising...

You see, I find it surprising because I always thought it was primarily Kael who in her 1971 essay "Raising Kane" not only created a small firestorm of controversy with her suggestion that Orson Welles' contributions to this film were minimal but who also stated her great admiration for the movie overall, and which also in turn seemed to bring about a resurgence in public interest for this film.

(...and so for you to include the words "of course" in your above text, and which seems to me to suggest that she generally dismissed the film, and even though it might not have quite made her personal Top 10 all-time list, kind'a sort'a surprised me here)

To Dargo, I have her entire 9-(not 10) & she still left out "Kane" though?

• Like 1

See my point?

Sepiatone

my mother was a fmr NYC Rockett, that later owned her own dance studio & they did "0z" around the country-(Delaware/PA) in a stage version of it

Very strange, because whenever this type of topic comes up there's always a huge response from fans?

imdb.com had a near record amount of voters as just 1 example

& of course AFI,etc

"Films of the Golden Age"/"Classic Images" also got a large response from it's readers

Of course they mostly voted for the legendary *Gone With the Wind"-(they even listed number of votes. It was it's top 25) :(

Even Hollywood.com had a huge response in '99. Most of these others all were done after AFI's 1998 massive poll & tv special :unsure:

my mother was a fmr NYC Rockett, that later owned her own dance studio & they did "0z" around the country-(Delaware/PA) in a stage version of it

I absolutely see your point.  A personal favorite & actual best can either be 2 different things, or one in the same

(PERFECT EXAMPLE: My top 5-10 (dvd time capsule favs. are. Dislike the silly term of "Desert Island" choices):

1 *"The Godfather-(l90l-90) Trilogy"-(non-theatrical)

2. :Kane"

3. "Captains Courageous"

4. *"Casablanca"

5. "City Lights"

6. "Dumbo"

7. "It's a Wonderful Life"

8. "The Searchers"

9. "Vertigo"

10th fav. "The Quiet Man"-(AKA: Honorable IRISH mention)

VS.

Where is the top 5 to 10 actual greatest motion pictures I've ever seen are:

1st place "Citizen Kane"

2. *"GFI"

3. *"GFII"

4. *"Casablanca"

5th place "Raging Bull"

6. "City Lights'

7. "Modern Times"-(very close)

8. "Vertigo"

9. "Apocalypse Now" & 10th best *"Schindler's List"

THANK YOU & CERTAINLY HOPE MORE VOTE  FOR EITHER?

Spence, there are a large number of posters who don't like to quantify their tastes in movies. They are loathe to make lists, and bristle at the notion of picking a favorite of anything. Also, there have been many, many, many threads of this sort over the years, so many people don't feel like participating in another one. Those are just a couple of reasons why you haven't much response.

I'll give you mine, though: Apocalypse Now (1979). followed by Taxi Driver (1976), The Godfather 1 & 2 (1972/1974), Goodfellas (1990) and Raging Bull (1980).

If you only want classic era films, then it's Casablanca (1942).

• Like 4

To Dargo, I have her entire 9-(not 10) & she still left out "Kane" though?

1. "Intolerance" "Rules of the Game" "the Leopard" "Mean Streets" "Nashville" "Melvin & Howard" "Blow-0ut" "Night of the Shooting Stars"

To Dargo, just found Kael's full all-time list from my files. Think I incorrectly listed her death as 2011, when it was in 2001. It is just me or who can't stand Janet Maslin?

Spence, there are a large number of posters who don't like to quantify their tastes in movies. They are loathe to make lists, and bristle at the notion of picking a favorite of anything. Also, there have been many, many, many threads of this sort over the years, so many people don't feel like participating in another one. Those are just a couple of reasons why you haven't much response.

I'll give you mine, though: Apocalypse Now (1979). followed by Taxi Driver (1976), The Godfather 1 & 2 (1972/1974), Goodfellas (1990) and Raging Bull (1980).

If you only want classic era films, then it's Casablanca (1942).

THANX & ANY ERA IS A OK LAWRENCE

• Like 1

BFI v

Very strange, because whenever this type of topic comes up there's always a huge response from fans?

imdb.com had a near record amount of voters as just 1 example

& of course AFI,etc

"Films of the Golden Age"/"Classic Images" also got a large response from it's readers

Of course they mostly voted for the legendary *Gone With the Wind"-(they even listed number of votes. It was it's top 25) :(

Even Hollywood.com had a huge response in '99. Most of these others all were done after AFI's 1998 massive poll & tv special :unsure:

BFI-(British Film Institute) "The Third Man" as #1 in it's own 1999 poll & they voted *Judi Dench as all-time British actress?

Singin' in the Rain (1952): I have this one memorized.  :)

"Arrrrround the rrrrrocks the rrrrrugged rrrrrascal rrrrran."

"Sinful Caesar sipped his snifter, seized his knees and sneezed."

(...yeah N&N...see?!...me TOO!)   ;)

• Like 1

From what I recall of Raising Kane, she mainly focused on the minimalism of

Welles' input into the screenplay, which people are still arguing about. She

gave him full credit for his direction and experimentation, while acknowledging

the veteran Hollywood talent that aided him. I think she wrote something like

Welles could just see starring Orson Welles, directed by Orson Welles, screen-

play by oops, that messed up everything. Considering the praise she lavished

on the film, I'm also a little surprised it wasn't in her top ten.

• Like 1

From what I recall of Raising Kane, she mainly focused on the minimalism of

Welles' input into the screenplay, which people are still arguing about. She

gave him full credit for his direction and experimentation, while acknowledging

the veteran Hollywood talent that aided him. I think she wrote something like

Welles could just see starring Orson Welles, directed by Orson Welles, screen-

play by oops, that messed up everything. Considering the praise she lavished

on the film, I'm also a little surprised it wasn't in her top ten.

I think you've summed it up correctly. She was really throwing darts at Welles' ego and how it overtook most of his projects. Studios refused to cast him for important films later in his career because he became known as being un-directable. Collaboration was not his strong suit. I sincerely doubt he wrote much of the screenplay. He took the screenplay and built on it with his direction. And even his direction is very pastiche, borrowing from the German expressionists. And without Gregg Toland, he probably would have had a very flat-looking film. CITIZEN KANE is still great but mostly in spite of Welles.

If you look at the screenplay for MR. ARKADIN, that is what Welles' writing was really like. Very disjointed, strangely baroque, barely coherent. And notice nobody holds it up as a fine example of storytelling. 

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings