Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lemon Drop Kid

ElCid

I heard a radio spot the other day that said the original title of the song was "Tinkle Bells." Fortunately, the wife of co-writer Jay Livingston persuaded him that the title would remind people of visits to the bathroom.

It's a good thing Livingston's wife insisted he change it. The song became a traditional part of Bob Hope's TV Christmas specials. Here's a 1993 duet by Old Ski Nose and his better half, Dolores:

Sadly, I don't  get  GetTV, so I'll have to wait.

It IS available on DVD. I actually recorded it from TCM when it aired last year.

GeTV is one of the few "antenna" stations I watch. Horrible amount of commercials, though.

It is on my list of DVD's to order, but I did record it and watched it.  Fast forwarded through the LOOOOONG commercial breaks.  The antenna stations are also where the local stations place their PSA's, which are also very LOOOONG.  GetTV took a 90 minute movie and stretched it to 135 minutes.

Anyone here ever seen the '34 version?

0IbCWsQ.jpg

I'm a big Lee Tracy fan but this is one of his films that I have not been able to track down, suppressed, no doubt, because of the Hope version which is pretty much everywhere. I like the Bob Hope version, but how I would love to see Lee Tracy in the role, especially since he was still in his motor mouth prime in 1934. Hate seeing a little film like this disappear. Even if it's not as good as the Hope film (reviews of the '34 film clearly indicate it's uneven) it would still be nice to see it.

Hope Enterprises produced (for theatrical release by Paramount) the remake so the company probably bought the rights to the original which means it may be in his vault. I can't imagine anyone working for Hope Enterprises has any idea that it's there or worth exploiting.

An alternate explanation may be a rights tie-up by the Damon Runyon estate.  They retain rights to PRINCESS O'HARA on only recently negotiated with Universal DVD rights for IT AIN'T HAY (the PRINCESS remake).

Either situation spells "don't hold your breath".

Hope Enterprises produced (for theatrical release by Paramount) the remake so the company probably bought the rights to the original which means it may be in his vault. I can't imagine anyone working for Hope Enterprises has any idea that it's there or worth exploiting.

An alternate explanation may be a rights tie-up by the Damon Runyon estate.  They retain rights to PRINCESS O'HARA on only recently negotiated with Universal DVD rights for IT AIN'T HAY (the PRINCESS remake).

Either situation spells "don't hold your breath".

Thanks Ray, I guess.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings