Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Where are the Christmas movies?

michele31415

Hey TCM - where ar the Christmas movies this year?  Showing "Christmas in Connecticut" over and over doesn't count.  The only thing Christmasy about CinC is the title and one brief scene with a Christmas tree.  Otherwise it's simply a charming mistaken identity romantic comedy.

Similarly, while Going My Way has a religious theme, it has nothing to do specifically with Christmas.

OK, so Holiday Affair was good, but where is The Bishop's Wife?  Since You Went Away?  Holiday Inn?  White Christmas?  Buncha Grinches.

Yeah, it seems if you wish to see some Christmas "classic" uncut and commercial free you're going to have to rely on your DVD collection.

Also don't know if any "biblical" epics are scheduled.  Like either KING OF KINGS, or THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD and others of the kind that  usually were Christmas season regulars in the past.

Sepiatone

OK, so Holiday Affair was good, but where is The Bishop's Wife?  Since You Went Away?  Holiday Inn?  White Christmas?  Buncha Grinches.

They haven't shown Holiday Inn for years, it seems-one of my favorites. Since You Went Away is another favorite of mine, along with I'll Be Seeing You, Meet John Doe, and, of course Meet Me In St Louis, which they did air. I know most  of these films are not really Christmas movies and merely have a Christmas in them, but they stand out for me this time of year.

Also don't know if any "biblical" epics are scheduled.  Like either KING OF KINGS, or THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD and others of the kind that  usually were Christmas season regulars in the past.

They did air the silent King Of Kings along with a few other biblicals on Dec 4th.

Both White Christmas and The Bishop's Wife aired in a marathon on AMC yesterday. The problem of course, is that AMC shows commercials.

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/1048237%7C0/Christmas-Classics-in-December.html

There are a lot of Christmas movies scheduled this month on TCM.  Of course, everyone has their special "pet" Christmas movies.  I don't believe in relying on some outside entity to program specifically to my tastes, that's why I build a DVD collection so I can curate my own Christmas movie marathon.  I then supplement it with DVR recordings of films I don't yet own and other films that I am interested in. 

If you have Netflix, White Christmas is on there.  As is one of my favorites, Love Actually.  

Both White Christmas and The Bishop's Wife aired in a marathon on AMC yesterday. The problem of course, is that AMC shows commercials.

Indeed.  AMC not only infests their movies every 10 minutes with commercials for medicines to treat diseases I don't have, but they cut them to ribbons (their unforgiveable treatment of Holiday Inn being a prime example) as well as commiting all sorts of other cinematic mayhem like the dreaded 4% time-compression speed-up (to squeeze in even more commercials).  Ugh.  I stopped watching that channel long ago.

Meet Me in St. Louis is such a favorite of mine I still have my copy on VHS.  I ended up ordering the others on DVD from another online source - free shipping and they'll be here in two days.  I stil love TCM, but sometimes I just have to gripe :-)

Indeed.  AMC not only infests their movies every 10 minutes with commercials for medicines to treat diseases I don't have, but they cut them to ribbons (their unforgiveable treatment of Holiday Inn being a prime example) as well as commiting all sorts of other cinematic mayhem like the dreaded 4% time-compression speed-up (to squeeze in even more commercials).  Ugh.  I stopped watching that channel long ago.

Meet Me in St. Louis is such a favorite of mine I still have my copy on VHS.  I ended up ordering the others on DVD from another online source - free shipping and they'll be here in two days.  I stil love TCM, but sometimes I just have to gripe :-)

Agreed about the commercials.  I notice that pretty much if any channel aside from TCM shows Holiday Inn (I could have sworn they showed sometime within the last couple of years), then they cut out the Abraham Lincoln number.  While I can understand the number being controversial, I think it's a shame that the channel takes it upon themselves to censor the film for the audience.  I love Holiday Inn, it makes a great double feature with White Christmas.  

I have Meet Me in St. Louis on blu-ray.  I had a DVD copy, but it ended up getting a scratch on it somehow and the disc would glitch during "The Trolley Song" an unforgivable act in my opinion.  I've already watched Meet Me in St. Louis twice (I've also watched White Christmas twice) this holiday season.  

I'm looking forward to I'll Be Seeing You that is airing on Christmas Eve.  I really enjoy this film.  I think I still have The Bishop's Wife and Remember the Night on my DVR from last year when it aired. 

Both White Christmas and The Bishop's Wife aired in a marathon on AMC yesterday. The problem of course, is that AMC shows commercials.

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/1048237%7C0/Christmas-Classics-in-December.html

There are a lot of Christmas movies scheduled this month on TCM. Of course, everyone has their special "pet" Christmas movies. I don't believe in relying on some outside entity to program specifically to my tastes, that's why I build a DVD collection so I can curate my own Christmas movie marathon. I then supplement it with DVR recordings of films I don't yet own and other films that I am interested in.

If you have Netflix, White Christmas is on there. As is one of my favorites, Love Actually.

I had a great time last night watching all 3 movies-- Going My Way, White Christmas and The Bishop's Wife- - although I'm not a really a big fan of Bing Crosby.

I grew up watching old movies on television and I know exactly how to maneuver it. And in those days we didn't even have a remote. But when one movie gets boring you just move to the other one and you don't miss a thing because of the commercials.

Actually I like some commercials - - although now you have much more than they had in the 50's or 60s. In the old days, watching old movies, I was always accustomed to having time to run back to the Kitchen and get a sandwich or to go to the bathroom. Especially when you seen a movie more than 20 times, it doesn't really hurt to have a break.

When you see these movies as many times as I have, you know exactly which scenes you want to avoid and which scenes you know you can't miss.

I may want to watch Casablanca or Top Hat all the way through, but that's not the case for most movies--when you've seen more than a dozen times.

Going My Way is a very dear, sweet movie, but it's got a lot of slow moments to it and that was a good time to turn to White Christmas - - and everybody's already seen it 20 times anyway. White Christmas was always shown on NBC for so many years that people just expected at a certain time.

So I plugged 1 Bing Crosby movie into the other thanks to the commercials! LOL

• Like 1

Agreed about the commercials. I notice that pretty much if any channel aside from TCM shows Holiday Inn (I could have sworn they showed sometime within the last couple of years), then they cut out the Abraham Lincoln number. While I can understand the number being controversial, I think it's a shame that the channel takes it upon themselves to censor the film for the audience. I love Holiday Inn, it makes a great double feature with White Christmas.

I have Meet Me in St. Louis on blu-ray. I had a DVD copy, but it ended up getting a scratch on it somehow and the disc would glitch during "The Trolley Song" an unforgivable act in my opinion. I've already watched Meet Me in St. Louis twice (I've also watched White Christmas twice) this holiday season.

I'm looking forward to I'll Be Seeing You that is airing on Christmas Eve. I really enjoy this film. I think I still have The Bishop's Wife and Remember the Night on my DVR from last year when it aired.

Being a big Fred Astaire fan, I had Holiday Inn on VHS for years. I lent it out to many people who just wanted to see it because it was a Christmas movie.

And they also have it at the public library on DVD if you want to see it.

But I can understand why TCM deleted the Abraham number because it is offensive and humiliating to a large segment of our population.

If you had this in some kind of a documentary or some kind of explanation, it would be possible but for a holiday- entertainment, I don't think it's acceptable.

Sometimes you have to put yourself in somebody else's shoes or look at somebody else's motivation from the outside to have empathy for others.

A big company like TCM doesn't have any choice in it because their viewers are the American public.

• Like 1

I wish I had done a screen capture of the one or two movies from AMC that I edited on my computer.  This was only about a year ago.  Never again.  On the timeline graph in the editor, the commercial breaks piled up like the divisions on a piece of logarithmic graph paper.  It started out with generous 10 minute segments in-between the commercials.  About three or four 10-minute segments.  Then after about 1/3 of the way through it they started getting shorter and shorter and shorter...  By the last third of the movie, there were 45-second commercial breaks once every two minutes of movie.  It was amazing.  During the most interesting part.  In addition, it became harder to discern the commercials from the segments of the movie.  Counting all those in, I think there were well over 30 commercial breaks in all.   Like I said, I wish I had saved a screen-shot of the editor window with all the red cutouts.  A picture is worth a thousand words.

I didn't know about the 4% compression, but I wouldn't put it past them.  Maybe they lifted it off of Youtube.(jk)  I have seen all kinds of copyright evasion tactics, from showing the movie sped-up to showing the movie in mirror-image.

• Like 1

Sometimes you have to put yourself in somebody else's shoes or look at somebody else's motivation from the outside to have empathy for others.

A big company like TCM doesn't have any choice in it because their viewers are the American public.

The problem is that eventually everything ends up offending someone.  You can't show minstrel numbers, you can't show pictures of Mohammed, where does it end?  I understand that it's a "slippery slope" argument but it is a slippery slope.  I'm just glad they haven't yet discovered the hilarious Ail & Quail Club scene in Palm Beach Story where a shotgun-toting William Demarest yells at George the bartender "Are you gonna put 'em up or do I put you up?"

• Like 1

There are a lot of Christmas movies scheduled this month on TCM.  Of course, everyone has their special "pet" Christmas movies.  I don't believe in relying on some outside entity to program specifically to my tastes, that's why I build a DVD collection so I can curate my own Christmas movie marathon.  I then supplement it with DVR recordings of films I don't yet own and other films that I am interested in. 

That's what I'm ending up doing.  I just ordered The Bishop's Wife and Holiday Inn.  My other Christmas favorites are:

White Christmas

A Christmas Story

Holiday Affair

Bad Santa

Since You Went Away

The Man Who Came to Dinner (technically more a movie with a Christmas tree than a Christmas movie, but simply hilarious)

and The Hard Nut, Mark Morris' brilliant and delightfully off-kilter take on The Nutcracker.

Holiday Inn is Paramount, IIRC, and not to mention, Paramount flogs the living crapola out of White Christmas with an audience of movie-illiterate fans every year as their big house holiday icon along with It's a Wonderful Life.

I don't know if Warner inherited Holiday with the other Paramount catalog movies they got, but Paramount's not about to let the cheap 50's movie out of their sight.

(And last time I saw Holiday Inn was on the old ThisTV channel, where, being commercial-TV censored, they had to cut out the "Abraham" number--Does TCM usually show it complete?)

speedracer5

Both White Christmas and The Bishop's Wife aired in a marathon on AMC yesterday. The problem of course, is that AMC shows commercials.

No, that's a problem.  THE problem is that AMC doesn't show movies anymore, the rest of the year.

• Like 1

I had a great time last night watching all 3 movies-- Going My Way, White Christmas and The Bishop's Wife- - although I'm not a really a big fan of Bing Crosby.

I grew up watching old movies on television and I know exactly how to maneuver it. And in those days we didn't even have a remote. But when one movie gets boring you just move to the other one and you don't miss a thing because of the commercials.

Actually I like some commercials - - although now you have much more than they had in the 50's or 60s. In the old days, watching old movies, I was always accustomed to having time to run back to the Kitchen and get a sandwich or to go to the bathroom. Especially when you seen a movie more than 20 times, it doesn't really hurt to have a break.

When you see these movies as many times as I have, you know exactly which scenes you want to avoid and which scenes you know you can't miss.

I may want to watch Casablanca or Top Hat all the way through, but that's not the case for most movies--when you've seen more than a dozen times.

Ha - I don't even have to watch Casablanca or Top Hat anymore.  I have them memorized.

"Tell me Rick, why did you come to Casablanca?"

"I came for the waters".

"What water?  We're in the desert!"

"I was misinformed".

"What are you doing in my room?"

"But I have de key!"

:Ah but I have the key!"

"But I am Bedini!"

"Ya got me there, pal."

"No, that's a problem.  THE problem is that AMC doesn't show movies anymore, the rest of the year."

No kidding.  And does anyone else remember the days when Bravo showed movies, concerts and (gasp), ballet?  And back when ARTS (the Alpha Repertory Television Service) actually showed the arts, before they became A&E, as if arts and entertainment are two different things?

• Like 1

(And last time I saw Holiday Inn was on the old ThisTV channel, where, being commercial-TV censored, they had to cut out the "Abraham" number--Does TCM usually show it complete?)

The last time I saw it on TCM is was indeed "uncut and commercial-free".  But it seems like it's been at least two years now.

TCM did show Holiday Inn in April, 2015. I watched maybe the first 20 or 30 minutes of it. I wanted to see the whole thing, given how rarely it airs, but it was, I think, either a 10 pm or midnight start time, and I was too sleepy to stick with it. So, unfortunately, I can't confirm or deny if the blackface number was shown. My guess is it probably was. TCM likes to claim it presents movies "uncut and uncensored". Now, it's possible the print they leased had the number excised before TCM ever got its hands on it. Seems I've read about such things happening on previous threads. But I don't believe anyone at TCM would have cut it before airing. You still see movies with blackface numbers airing from time to time on TCM, though I've noticed in the last few years they certainly seem to be less frequent and are usually on in the middle of the night. 

michele31415, I don't think it's such a slippery slope. There are times when offensive is just really, genuinely offensive. Even if you're incapable of understanding why people are offended, it would be a better world if you could just appreciate they are offended and respect their viewpoint instead of being annoyed and exasperated by it. I think for anyone who didn't grow up with blackface numbers being routine, they're pretty shocking. And there is clearly a segment of the world that takes the offense of visually representing the Prophet very seriously.

• Like 2

TCM did show Holiday Inn in April, 2015. I watched maybe the first 20 or 30 minutes of it. I wanted to see the whole thing, given how rarely it airs, but it was, I think, either a 10 pm or midnight start time, and I was too sleepy to stick with it. So, unfortunately, I can't confirm or deny if the blackface number was shown. My guess is it probably was. TCM likes to claim it presents movies "uncut and uncensored". Now, it's possible the print they leased had the number excised before TCM ever got its hands on it. Seems I've read about such things happening on previous threads. But I don't believe anyone at TCM would have cut it before airing. You still see movies with blackface numbers airing from time to time on TCM, though I've noticed in the last few years they certainly seem to be less frequent and are usually on in the middle of the night.

I think the confusion here is that it was mentioned earlier that when OTHER networks show Holiday Inn (like the Hallmark Channel) they cut the number out and then Princess of Tap posted in response that it was understandable that TCM would do that...but no one actually ever said TCM did it.

Yeah, TCM wouldn't show a cut version if they still show The Jazz Singer, the Garland/Rooney musicals with minstrel shows, The Birth of a Nation, Swing Time, etc., etc., all manner of films that have the exact same issues.

Ha - I don't even have to watch Casablanca or Top Hat anymore. I have them memorized.

"Tell me Rick, why did you come to Casablanca?"

"I came for the waters".

"What water? We're in the desert!"

"I was misinformed".

"But I have de key!"

:Ah but I have the key!"

"But I am Bedini!"

"Ya got me there, pal."

Michèle--

You may have the same problem that I have. Nobody will watch these movies with me anymore because I repeat the dialogue as it's spoken in the movie.LOL

Now I'm going to tell my friends about you and they will realize that I'm not the only person who can do that sort of thing.

But I will always have to watch Top Hat because I'm a tap dancer and I'm always amazed at how truly brilliant Fred Astaire is as a dancer. By the time he triples his routine, I can't even see what the steps are.

But I memorized the opening steps easily enough-- where they just show their feet-- because Ginger Rogers was doing it so slowly that even by beginning students could see what the steps were. LMREO

I think the confusion here is that it was mentioned earlier that when OTHER networks show Holiday Inn (like the Hallmark Channel) they cut the number out and then Princess of Tap posted in response that it was understandable that TCM would do that...but no one actually ever said TCM did it.

Yeah, TCM wouldn't show a cut version if they still show The Jazz Singer, the Garland/Rooney musicals with minstrel shows, The Birth of a Nation, Swing Time, etc., etc., all manner of films that have the exact same issues.

I don't think I would put Birth of A Nation in the same category with musicals.

That was the movie that launched full-scale lynchings in this country.

I know a lot of people never liked Al Jolson, but I don't think we can blame lynching on him.

No kidding.  And does anyone else remember the days when Bravo showed movies, concerts and (gasp), ballet?  And back when ARTS (the Alpha Repertory Television Service) actually showed the arts, before they became A&E, as if arts and entertainment are two different things?

Well, that was when they merged with the failing The Entertainment Channel, which also had culture but mostly ran BBC imports.

So, now they became the Arts & Entertainment Channel, so they could show "Ice Road Truckers".

As for Bravo, first they became commercial, when not enough people paid premium subscriptions to watch Criterion movies--

Then, after they couldn't cut it with commercial broken/censored foreign movies, they were sold to NBC, so that NBC could dump spare West Wing reruns onto.

And then their channel exec came Out, so they had to show Project Runway and Real Housewives.  Gee, you'd think they'd have been MORE interested in opera, ballet and old movies...

Well, that was when they merged with the failing The Entertainment Channel, which also had culture but mostly ran BBC imports.

So, now they became the Arts & Entertainment Channel, so they could show "Ice Road Truckers".

As for Bravo, first they became commercial, when not enough people paid premium subscriptions to watch Criterion movies--

Then, after they couldn't cut it with commercial broken/censored foreign movies, they were sold to NBC, so that NBC could dump spare West Wing reruns onto.

And then their channel exec came Out, so they had to show Project Runway and Real Housewives. Gee, you'd think they'd have been MORE interested in opera, ballet and old movies...

As much as I enjoy the movies that I watch on TCM-- I really don't know if the cost of cable is just worth one channel. Outside of TCM there are virtually no movies on cable that I would want to see. I'm beginning to wonder if cable is strictly a waste of money for me, and that I should just go back to my DVD's for good.

I don't see any support on cable for quality movies or the kind of cultural offerings that you mention. Stations that we have are primarily reality TV, paid commercials, non-descriptive garbage and some old TV shows.

Unfortunately 50% of what I'm watching would be free without cable-- meaning the PBS and and local digital stations.

I would hate to give up TCM, but I think cable is really a waste of money.

Even if one channel like AMC would come back to the fold, it would make a world of difference to viewers like me.

I agree completely! My problem is usually *where* they decide to insert the commercial breaks.

TNT's annual airing of The Wizard Of Oz, for example. Don't break for commercial as she's getting ready to open the door. A better place would be right after the bed slams down and she lets out an "Oh!"

As much as I enjoy the movies that I watch on TCM-- I really don't know if the cost of cable is just worth one channel. Outside of TCM there are virtually no movies on cable that I would want to see. I'm beginning to wonder if cable is strictly a waste of money for me, and that I should just go back to my DVD's for good.

I don't see any support on cable for quality movies or the kind of cultural offerings that you mention. Stations that we have are primarily reality TV, paid commercials, non-descriptive garbage and some old TV shows.

Unfortunately 50% of what I'm watching would be free without cable-- meaning the PBS and and local digital stations.

I would hate to give up TCM, but I think cable is really a waste of money.

Even if one channel like AMC would come back to the fold, it would make a world of difference to viewers like me.

On my cable service there are a few other cable stations that show movies.

MOVIES channel shows a lot of the same flicks you'll see on TCM, but of course, with commercials

THIS Detroit, a local channel, also shows a lot of movies from a wide swath of periods and eras.

Another local channel--BOUNCE, an African-American owned and operated station will showcase a lot of African-American films both new and old.

DECADES too, will occasionally show a "classic" film now and then.

In a half hour from now THIS Detroit will be showing THE APARTMENT, followed by SOME LIKE IT HOT.  They also feature an hour of  the old LLOYD BRIDGES "Sea Hunt" TV show starting at 4:00 am each morning.

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings