Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

East Germany escape movie title needed

michele31415

Speaking of Christmas movies, I have only a brief snippet left on my mental VCR of a movie that I believe is set in East Germany.  A man and a woman are seated at a table in her dingy East Berlin apartment in near darkness on Christmas Eve.  He's saying goodbye to her as he has to leave the next day.  Their faces are illuminated only by the light from one of those little tin-plate brass candle-powered angel merrigorounds that makes a tiny dinging sound as it spins around on the table between them as they hold hands wistfully.

What IS this movie???

Michele, there is a movie called "Escape from East Berlin" with Don Murray.  I've never seen it, so I can only suggest that perhaps this is the movie you have in mind.

Good suggestion, but I know that movie and this one isn't it.  EFEB is about a guy who digs a tunnel under the wall to get to the west.  TCM ran it a few months ago.  It doesn't have the scene I described in it.  In my movie, I don't think the guy is an East German trying to escape.  He may be a spy getting ready to return home.  Or something...

It reminds me of the 1946 drama THE SEARCHING WIND.

Here's what an IMDb reviewer wrote:

Hal Wallis lays on a posh production, complete with tinkling crystal chandeliers, gilded ballrooms and wall-to-wall violin accompaniment, all so that journalist Sylvia Sidney can reproach diplomat Robert Young for his cowardice in not denouncing fascism [while they toy with rekindling their youthful affair]. Lillian Hellman's script boots them all across Europe, from Mussolini's takeover of Rome to the bombing of Madrid to the signing of the Munich Accord.

It reminds me of the 1946 drama THE SEARCHING WIND.

Hmmm... you just might be on to something there.  It's possible I was mistaken about the "escape from East Berlin" thing.  This synopsis does seem to fit the bill, though it doesn't mention the scene I remember  Unfortunately, it's not currently scheduled on TCM.  But it sounds like just the sort of movie I'd like anyway so I'm going to get a copy and then see if this is the one.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Hmmm... you just might be on to something there.  It's possible I was mistaken about the "escape from East Berlin" thing.  This synopsis does seem to fit the bill, though it doesn't mention the scene I remember  Unfortunately, it's not currently scheduled on TCM.  But it sounds like just the sort of movie I'd like anyway so I'm going to get a copy and then see if this is the one.  Thanks!

THE SEARCHING WIND was on YouTube about a year and a half ago and that's where I watched it. It's wonderful-- the actors couldn't be better, and the production values are spectacular. I think you'll enjoy it. Please share your thoughts when you see it.

It looks as though you can purchase THE SEARCHING WIND on the iOffer website for $8 U.S.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings