Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stamboul Quest Question

Hibi

I dozed off in the middle of it (unsure how much I missed) SPOILERS.

Could someone tell me how/when George Brent got arrested????

I woke up when he was about to be shot by a firing squad. I dozed off during Myrna's "courtship" of the Turkish official.   :(

Spoiler alert

I was half watching this so I read the plot on Wikipedia. Apparently Myrna had him arrested on trumped up charges of espionage so that she could gain the trust of Ali Bey. It wasn't shown in the movie though. This happened off screen. Maybe George Brent had another movie to work on because we only find out he wasn't killed at the fade out.

LOL!

Thank you, Helen. I should've thought of that myself! :D I wasnt really bored with the film, but I sit under a heated throw and sometimes I doze off. ANNOYING! :(

The film wasnt great by any means, but interesting enough to watch. Would make a good double bill with Mata Hari.........

LOL!

Thank you, Helen. I should've thought of that myself! :D I wasnt really bored with the film, but I sit under a heated throw and sometimes I doze off. ANNOYING! :(

The film wasnt great by any means, but interesting enough to watch. Would make a good double bill with Mata Hari.........

I normally enjoy Myrna and George together & separately but there seemed to be something missing in this one. And like I said he disappeared for the last 20 minutes so they tacked on this reunion scene at the end. Myrna did have a great wardrobe in this movie. Maybe they should have added a few bucks to make a few scenes to make it less confusing ????

I normally enjoy Myrna and George together & separately but there seemed to be something missing in this one. And like I said he disappeared for the last 20 minutes so they tacked on this reunion scene at the end. Myrna did have a great wardrobe in this movie. Maybe they should have added a few bucks to make a few scenes to make it less confusing

It does seem very odd with the missing storyline. I hope they run it again so I can make some sense of it. I didnt get what Myrna was doing at the nunnery until the (unsatisfying) ending. I wonder if it was shot that way, or just heavily edited. They certainly could've trimmed some of the boring tete a tete with the Turkish official. I wasnt sure if George was playing it straight or he was some sort of spy as well.

It seemed like they were going for a Tosca like twist at the end with George, but then they tacked on that sappy happy ending which ruined it!

It seemed like they were going for a Tosca like twist at the end with George, but then they tacked on that sappy happy ending which ruined it!

The scenes at the beginning and end at the asylum seem so artificial to me I have always thought them a framing device tacked on to the movie to satisfy the censors.  But I've said elsewhere, all you have to do is turn the DVD off at the right time.

The scenes at the beginning and end at the asylum seem so artificial to me I have always thought them a framing device tacked on to the movie to satisfy the censors.  But I've said elsewhere, all you have to do is turn the DVD off at the right time.

While the ending does come off as tacked on,   why would that specific ending be necessary for the censors?   E.g. I don't see any Production code violation with having the Brent character actually executed.     Such an ending would have been realistic since a spy shouldn't really get a happy ending.       Therefore I assume the producer\director decided to end with such an ending because American audiences generally preferred such endings.  

Yeah, and besides, IF Georgie would've gotten shot in..ahem.."the end", wouldn't it have taken a whole lot of bullets to get the job done and thus making the movie even longer???

(...now Hibi, I'm surprised you especially didn't think of this!) ;)

Yeah, and besides, IF Georgie would've gotten shot in..ahem.."the end", wouldn't it have taken a whole lot of bullets to get the job done and thus making the movie even longer???

(...now Hibi, I'm surprised you especially didn't think of this!) ;)

LOL. I'm slipping!

Yeah, it felt that way to me too. But more not to appease the censors, but to have an upbeat ending. Maybe the downbeat one didnt test well so they tacked on the framing device with the happy one. I'd have preferred the Tosca (unhappy) one......

Not having seen the picture, I have a question about the title.  How in the world did this film get its name?  Was it based on a play or short story, or was it based on fact?  Since the plot involves German espionage in Turkey (they were allies in WW1), what was so bad about saying "Istanbul" in the title?  Or am I missing the whole boat through the Dardanelles on this one?

Beats me. I think this was remade with the title Fraulein Doktor in the 60s or 70s. Unsure if the story was the same. I think the character actually existed (Myrna's character). Although I'm sure the story filmed was highly fictional....

• Like 1

Stamboul was a common variant of Istanbul.  It dropped out of usage around the 30s.  The filmmakers probably used it to lend an air of exotic intrigue.

I see. Makes some sense now! I looked up the Fraulein Docktor movie and it's a completely different story, but the same character. Apparently she worked for German intelligence, but how active she was in the "field" remains a question. She died in the early 40s. (She didnt write any memoirs.....)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings