Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Portrait of Frank Skeffington's Late Wife (in "The Last Hurrah")

suejeanne

Does anyone know anything about the portrait in "The Last Hurrah" of Frank Skeffington's late wife?  It is a lovely portrait on the landing of the stairs - Frank Skeffington stops each morning to place a rose in a vase in front of the portrait and then he stops for a moment in prayerful silence before resuming his walk down the stairs -

does anyone know anything about the portrait?  Who is the artist?  The woman in the painting looks a little like Bette Davis - does anyone know who the woman is and how this painting came to be used in the film? 

Thank you!

(I love this film)

Does anyone know anything about the portrait in "The Last Hurrah" of Frank Skeffington's late wife?  It is a lovely portrait on the landing of the stairs - Frank Skeffington stops each morning to place a rose in a vase in front of the portrait and then he stops for a moment in prayerful silence before resuming his walk down the stairs -

does anyone know anything about the portrait?  Who is the artist?  The woman in the painting looks a little like Bette Davis - does anyone know who the woman is and how this painting came to be used in the film? 

Thank you!

(I love this film)

I love The Last Hurrah as well, I think it's one of John Ford's finest films. That wake scene early in the film intrigues me. Ford has many of his old regular actors there, I see it as a wake for the Old Hollywood, which had begun to be superseded by television at that time, just as Frank Skeffington was in some ways superseded by his young political opponent's use of television.

I just had a good look at the portrait. I actually don't think it looks like Bette Davis. You pose and interesting question -- now I'm really curious!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings