Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Princess of Tap

Biopics/Famous Lives On Screen

On this thread you can ask any question about a classic biopic or a movie about a real historical event, whose characters are portraying people who actually lived. The questions don't have to be limited to the actors, you can also ask questions about the people behind the scenes as well.

Next:

This distinguished Golden Age actor was an Oscar winner who was known for portraying famous men in history. He was so versatile and his roles were so diverse that his appearance was often radically changed from one film to the next.

When you identify this actor, can you give at least three roles where he played men who shaped history.

Laurence Olivier could fit the bill. Among his many true-life roles were:

Horatio Nelson in That Hamilton Woman (1941)

Henry V in Henry V (1944)

Richard III in Richard III  (1955)

General John Burgoyne in The Devil's Disciple (1959)

Marcus Crassus in Spartacus  (1960)

The Mahdi in Khartoum  (1966)

The Duke of Wellington in Lady Caroline Lamb  (1972)

General Douglas MacArthur in Inchon (1981)

Rudolf Hess in Wild Geese II (1985)

Lawrence-- This is not the actor that I was thinking of, however you have done excellent research so that your answer is definitely hitting all the criteria.

I didn't know you had such an interest in English History movies - -

Cheerio,,,Good show...

Lawrence, give it a go--

Lawrence-- This is not the actor that I was thinking of, however you have done excellent research so that your answer is definitely hitting all the criteria.

I didn't know you had such an interest in English History movies - -

Cheerio,,,Good show...

Lawrence, give it a go--

I've always enjoyed historical films and biopics, plus I just read a rather lengthy Olivier biography last year, so that helped.

This was the first performer to win an Oscar for playing a previous Oscar-winner in a movie. The previous Oscar-winner also won an Oscar for portraying a real person.

Name all 3 personages involved in the clue.

Cate Blanchett won as Best Supporting Actress for playing Katharine Hepburn in "The Aviator" (2004).

Katharine Hepburn won Best Actress for playing Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion In Winter" (1968);  Barbara Streisand tied her, winning for her performance in "Funny Girl".

• Like 1

This underrated actor made two biopics (one was of a poet) that were only dimly related to the truth during his career.  Name the actor, the two biopics, and two costars from each film.

This underrated actor made two biopics (one was of a poet) that were only dimly related to the truth during his career.  Name the actor, the two biopics, and two costars from each film.

So many possibilities -- "underrated;" "dimly related to the truth;" etc. My guess would be Willem Dafoe, who played T.S. Eliot in Tom and Viv (Miranda Richardson, Nickolas Grace); and played Max Schreck in Shadow of a Vampire (John Malkovich, Cary Elwes). He also btw played a man whose birthday is allegedly Sunday.

Swithin--Not the actor I was thinking of, but your answer fits the question, so the thread is yours.  I'll just be more specific next time.  Thanks for the information.  I've never even heard of "Tom and Viv".

Your thread. :)

A character who has intrigued me is in one of my favorite biopics: Wilson (1944). He's the elderly gentleman who nominates Woodrow Wilson at the Democratic Convention of 1912. He says "New Jersey appreciates the honor of placing before this convention as a candidate for the presidency of the United States --  the seer and philosopher of Princeton -- the Princeton schoolmaster -- Woodrow Wilson!"

That actor, with his bit part and 19th century delivery, has intrigued me, in that best of all cinematic convention scenes. He's not a household name. 

Name the actor, and the real-life character he plays.

TCM's webpage for "Wilson" has the billing all screwed up--Alexander Knox, the star, is billed 26th!

Vincent Price as William G. McAdoo?

No -- that's not it. The way I had to originally find out the actor and character's name, some time ago, was to find out who nominated Wilson, then go to the film credits. You need to start with the history, then go to the IMDB credits, which btw does list Alexander Knox first. 

• Like 1

I can't find anything that mentions who said that at the convention, and looking over the New Jersey delegates from 1912 and comparing it to the IMDb cast list didn't help, either. I'm missing something.

I can't find anything that mentions who said that at the convention, and looking over the New Jersey delegates from 1912 and comparing it to the IMDb cast list didn't help, either. I'm missing something.

Hint: Here's a quote from Google: "At 3:25 on Friday morning, June 28, Westcott again arose. In a flamboyant, but truly eloquent address, he nominated his friend Woodrow Wilson."

The words the actor spoke in the movie were almost exactly the words the Judge spoke at the convention.  So know you know the guy's name. Who was the actor?

Paul Everton

What did you type into Google to get that answer? How far down was it in the listings? I read four pages on the convention on Wikipedia and they never mentioned that moment. So I looked up "1912 New Jersey delegates to the democratic convention" and still didn't see it listed anywhere on the first page of results. 

In other words, I tried!

If this is correct, I can't take credit,so open thread.

Paul Everton

What did you type into Google to get that answer? How far down was it in the listings? I read four pages on the convention on Wikipedia and they never mentioned that moment. So I looked up "1912 New Jersey delegates to the democratic convention" and still didn't see it listed anywhere on the first page of results. 

In other words, I tried!

If this is correct, I can't take credit,so open thread.

Correct, Lawrence. Actually, I don't remember!  I love the film so much, and had been so taken with that little mini-speech, that long ago I googled something that got me to the answer of who nominated Wilson; and from that, to the guy who played the character.

In any case, just to get the thread on the road again, here's an easier clue:

This man was sent to an island prison for helping the man who assassinated a President. Name the character, actor, and movie.

• Like 1

Character was Dr. Samuel Alexander Mudd--he set the broken leg of John Wilkes Booth, Abraham Lincoln's assassin.

Actor who played Dr. Mudd was Warner Baxter.

Film is John Ford's "The Prisoner of Shark Island" (1936).

Character was Dr. Samuel Alexander Mudd--he set the broken leg of John Wilkes Booth, Abraham Lincoln's assassin.

Actor who played Dr. Mudd was Warner Baxter.

Film is John Ford's "The Prisoner of Shark Island" (1936).

Correct, filmlover, your thread.

This director known for his unique visual style helmed three bios of composers, and two other artists. Name him and at least three of his filmic bios.

This director known for his unique visual style helmed three bios of composers, and two other artists. Name him and at least three of his filmic bios.

Ken Russell

Lisztomania

Mahler

The Music Lovers (Tchaikovsky)

The Secret Life of Arnold Bax

Gothic (Percy and Mary Shelly, Lord Byron, etc.)

Savage Messiah (Henri Gaudier-Brzeska)

Valentino

Ken Russell

Lisztomania

Mahler

The Music Lovers (Tchaikovsky)

The Secret Life of Arnold Bax

Gothic (Percy and Mary Shelly, Lord Byron, etc.)

Savage Messiah (Henri Gaudier-Brzeska)

Valentino

*Ken Russell also directed a tap dance musical, starring that tap, twosome, Twiggy and Tommy Tune.

*Ken Russell also directed a tap dance musical, starring that tap, twosome, Twiggy and Tommy Tune.

And a film about Isadora (but not the Redgrave one), etc. etc.

But we'll await FL's verdict.

She began her professional career as a photographer and journalist, married to a dentist in Portland, Oregon. But it was with her second husband that her career (and his) really took off. She is buried at Versailles.

Who are they (the women in question and her second husband)? What movie chronicles their relationship; as well as one of the momentous occasions of the Twentieth Century? Who plays them in the movie?

Is it Reds (1981) with Diane Keaton as Louise Bryant and Warren Beatty as her second husband John Reed?

(I think you know this is one of my favorites!)