Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Princess of Tap

Biopics/Famous Lives On Screen

This much-derided biopic of the late 1960's starred a foreign-born actor who had come to worldwide fame earlier in the decade. The subject was a controversial political figure, hated by many, revered by as many if not more. The film co-starred a long-time character actor who would go on to win an Oscar decades later, although when the movie in question was made, he had been in films for nearly 20 years. This co-star played a world leader.

Name the film, the two stars, and who they played.

This much-derided biopic of the late 1960's starred a foreign-born actor who had come to worldwide fame earlier in the decade. The subject was a controversial political figure, hated by many, revered by as many if not more. The film co-starred a long-time character actor who would go on to win an Oscar decades later, although when the movie in question was made, he had been in films for nearly 20 years. This co-star played a world leader.

Name the film, the two stars, and who they played.

So many of my heroes are hated by many but revered by me. LOL--

I think you're talking about Che! the biographical movie about Cuban revolutionary leader Che Guevara.

The Egyptian born movie star Omar Sharif played Che and the great character actor Jack Palance played Fidel Castro.

• Like 1

So many of my heroes are hated by many but revered by me. LOL--

I think you're talking about Che! the biographical movie about Cuban revolutionary leader Che Guevara.

The Egyptian born movie star Omar Sharif played Che and the great character actor Jack Palance played Fidel Castro.

Correct on all counts. I finally caught up with this a couple of years ago when it was shown on the Fox Movie Channel. I didn't find it the trainwreck that it was described as, but I prefer the newer, 2-part film starring Benicio Del Toro, or The Motorcycle Diaries starring Gael Garcia Bernal.

Your thread, Princess!

Next: This foreign film in English is a biography of the early life of a great 20th Century Statesman before he finds his life's calling.

"Young Winston" (1972)? I believe it was a British film?

Yes and I had the pleasure of seeing it in London. It was directed by Richard Attenborough, with an unknown named Simon Ward playing Churchill, supported by these fabulous British actors - - Anthony Hopkins, Robert Shaw and John Mills.

Film Lover-- It's all yours!

This frontiersman/trapper has been the subject of at least two film biographies, both of which were less than accurate.  Please name the frontiersman, the two biopics, directors, and two costars.

Is this Hugh Glass, the subject of Man in the Wilderness (1971) directed by Richard Sarafian, and starring Richard Harris and John Huston, as well as The Revenant (2015) directed by Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, and starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hardy?

Lawrence--You came up with a second correct answer I hadn't thought of--good job.  I"ll reword my question for future use.

Your thread. :)

This near-mythical figure from another country has been the subject of many stories, novels, films, TV shows, and even video games. Perhaps the most noteworthy are a trilogy of films made in the nation of the personage's birth. They all starred a major figure of that country's cinema. The first installment won a major award in the US.

Name the historical figure, as well as the trilogy of films, and who played the lead character.

• Like 1

This near-mythical figure from another country has been the subject of many stories, novels, films, TV shows, and even video games. Perhaps the most noteworthy are a trilogy of films made in the nation of the personage's birth. They all starred a major figure of that country's cinema. The first installment won a major award in the US.

Name the historical figure, as well as the trilogy of films, and who played the lead character.

Lawrence, I think you're talking about my favorite actor Toshiro Mifune in one of his most beloved roles: Musashi Miyamoto.

Musashi was a legendary Japanese Swordsman, born in the 16th century, who won over 60 duels, but did not buy Die By The Sword, but from cancer.

From 1954 to 1956, Mifuni made three films depicting the life of Musashi-- they have come to be known as the Samurai Trilogy.

1) Musashi Miyamoto

2) Duel at Ichijoji Temple

3) Duel at Ganryu Island

Hiroshi Inagaki directed all three.

Samurai 1 won the 1955 Academy Award for best foreign film.

Unlike most sequels all three films are equally strong and entertaining with co-stars Kaoru Yachigusa and Rentarõ Mikuni.

The Samurai Trilogy is based on a novel by Eiji Yoshikawa, The Book of Five Rings.

Absolutely right on all counts, Princess! I thought you may get that one. :)

Your thread.

Lawrence, Thanks for remembering Toshibo.

Next: This famed vaudevillian didn't do very much in Motion Pictures, but Hollywood made a movie about her life.

Today she's only remembered by vaudevillian aficionados, but she was so big that she actually made it to Broadway in the Ziegfeld Follies.

Your assignment--should you decide to accept it-- is to identify the vaudevillian, name her biopic movie, its star, and her signature song.

Bonne Chance!

Fanny Brice.

"Funny Girl" (1968), starring Barbra Streisand.

Brice's signature song--"My Man".

Streisand's signature song--one of these three; "People", "I'm the Greatest Star", or "Don't Rain on My Parade"?

I was thinking of Blossom Seeley, played by Betty Hutton in "Somebody Loves Me".  Besides the title song, her signature tunes included "Way Down Yonder In New Orleans", and "Toddling The Todalo".

Of course, there was also Marilyn Miller, played by June Haver in "Look For The Silver Lining'.  She was famous for the title song, as well as Jerome Kern's song "Who".

So you see, there are several possible answers to this question.

For this question I should have said she appeared in motion pictures only twice.

That's less than Blossom Seeley or Marilyn Miller.

As far as Fanny Brice is concerned, thanks to Barbra Streisand, I don't think she's forgotten at all today.

Additionally, I would say this forgotten vaudevillian had a very bad reputation in those days.

For my next guess, how about Eva Tanguay?  The biopic movie is "The I Don't Care Girl" which starred Mitzi Gaynor.  Her best known song is "I Don't Care".

This clip is narrated in French, with Judy Garland's recording of "I Don't Care".

• Like 1

For my next guess, how about Eva Tanguay? The biopic movie is "The I Don't Care Girl" which starred Mitzi Gaynor. Her best known song is "I Don't Care".

This clip is narrated in French, with Judy Garland's recording of "I Don't Care".

Miles, thanks for sticking with this question.

I know you mentioned Blossom Seeley recently; while Marilyn Miller is being shown a number of times as Judy Garland in Till clouds roll by and as June Haver in Look for the silver lining, both shown repeatedly on TCM. And people who were not even born in the 20th century remember Fanny Brice because of Barbra Streisand's Oscar award-winning Funny Girl.

But Eva Tanguay was truly one of the first Superstars in American Show Business who has slipped through the cracks.

The "I Don't Care Girl" got that reputation for doing whatever she wanted - - which included her famous affair with the black Vaudeville and Broadway star George Walker, Bert Williams' theatrical partner.

Years ago I only found out about Eva Tanguay because Judy Garland sang her signature song In the Good Old Summertime, which was by the way Liza Minnelli's film debut.

No one had a better understanding of Vaudeville popular music or Vaudeville singers than Judy Garland.

Which brings me to Shine On Harvest Moon - - a song Popular in 1908 by Nora Bayes and Jack Norworth in the Ziegfeld Follies.

Eva Tanguay got her big Ziegfeld Follies break when she replaced Nora and Jack in the Ziegfeld Follies of 1909 due to their contract dispute with Ziegfeld.

More than 35 years ago I can remember the first time I saw Liza Minnelli on The Tonight Show. Liza was singing Shine On Harvest Moon. That was so unusual for that time but I knew Not Unusual for someone who had been taught American popular songs by a legendary singer of American popular songs.

Miles, C'est à toi-- It's all yours for a great answer and for being a great guy!

Thanks, Princess.  When I found that clip with a French narration, I figured you night enjoy it.  Eva Tanguay was really not a terrific singer or dancer, but she knew how to showcase herself.  She was extremely effective in generating publicity about herself, both good and bad.  She was also kind of the Lady Gaga of her day, with some outlandish costumes.  The Lincoln head penny was first issued in 1909, so she had a dress made that was covered with pennies.  Later, she had one covered with dollar bills.  It was said that Mae West stole her act.  

Now, since we were just looking at biopics of early vaudevillians, let's stay with that subject.  There were two sisters who had a vaudeville act about a hundred years ago.  Their lives were the subject of a highly fictionalized movie musical biopic.  The movie was made only a few years after one of the sisters died.  The other sister lived for another 25 years.  Can you name the movie and the stars?   

Thanks, Princess.  When I found that clip with a French narration, I figured you night enjoy it.  Eva Tanguay was really not a terrific singer or dancer, but she knew how to showcase herself.  She was extremely effective in generating publicity about herself, both good and bad.  She was also kind of the Lady Gaga of her day, with some outlandish costumes.  The Lincoln head penny was first issued in 1909, so she had a dress made that was covered with pennies.  Later, she had one covered with dollar bills.  It was said that Mae West stole her act.  

Now, since we were just looking at biopics of early vaudevillians, let's stay with that subject.  There were two sisters who had a vaudeville act about a hundred years ago.  Their lives were the subject of a highly fictionalized movie musical biopic.  The movie was made only a few years after one of the sisters died.  The other sister lived for another 25 years.  Can you name the movie and the stars?   

Jenny (played by Betty Grable) and Rosie (played by June Haver) The DOLLY SISTERS  ?????

You got them, Lavender.  Jenny had died in 1941 and the movie was made in 1945.  Rosie lived until 1970.  The Dolly sisters were actually Hungarian-born identical twins.

79b243db71b9c785a0beac56ba9a02eb--dolly-

They were not blonde like the actresses who portrayed them.

the-dolly-sisters-dxn6ky.jpg

Good work, Lavender.  You're up next.

You got them, Lavender. Jenny had died in 1941 and the movie was made in 1945. Rosie lived until 1970. The Dolly sisters were actually Hungarian-born identical twins.

79b243db71b9c785a0beac56ba9a02eb--dolly-

They were not blonde like the actresses who portrayed them.

the-dolly-sisters-dxn6ky.jpg

Good work, Lavender. You're up next.

The Dolly Sisters were recently portrayed on the PBS mini-series Mr. Selfridge

Starring Jeremy Piven. Apparently indulging the Exotic- looking performers was Harry Selfridge's financial downfall. So no, on the PBS they weren't blonde either.LOL

Lav is still next.