Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Princess of Tap

Biopics/Famous Lives On Screen

This biopic is based on the memoirs of an actress. Although she was very well known during her time as an actress in silent films and the stage, her name is not well known today. TCM fans may know the film about her life since it has been shown. The 2 stars of the film are very well known to us.

Actress the biopic is based on, film, actress who plays her and her very famous male co-star ????

Both the actress the biopic is about and the actress who portrays her in the film were both known for emotional, over the top performances.

I think that would be "Lady With Red Hair".  It starred Miriam Hopkins and Claude Rains.  It was about an actress who billed herself as Mrs. Leslie Carter.  Caroline Carter had been a Chicago socialite who had a scandalous extra-marital affair.  That led to a divorce.  In order to be looked upon favorably, she went to New York and became an actress.  I looked up her filmography and found that she was in three silent films in 1915 and 1916.  She was in two sound films in 1935 when she was well into her seventies.  The last film, "Becky Sharp" had starred Miriam Hopkins.

I don't know why she billed herself as Mrs. Leslie Carter after divorcing the man.  I can only guess that she was known by that name in society circles, and she wanted everyone to know who she was.  

I think that would be "Lady With Red Hair".  It starred Miriam Hopkins and Claude Rains.  It was about an actress who billed herself as Mrs. Leslie Carter.  Caroline Carter had been a Chicago socialite who had a scandalous extra-marital affair.  That led to a divorce.  In order to be looked upon favorably, she went to New York and became an actress.  I looked up her filmography and found that she was in three silent films in 1915 and 1916.  She was in two sound films in 1935 when she was well into her seventies.  The last film, "Becky Sharp" had starred Miriam Hopkins.

I don't know why she billed herself as Mrs. Leslie Carter after divorcing the man.  I can only guess that she was known by that name in society circles, and she wanted everyone to know who she was.  

Yes The Lady With Red Hair. Leslie Carter wrote her memoirs the film is based on her story. Miriam Hopkins and Claude Rains are the stars of the film. I've seen the film about 3 times on TCM. Yes from what I've read she used her ex-husbands name since he was wealthy, well known in social circles and because she wanted everyone to know who she was. She became an actress to earn enough money and fame to get her son back since she lost the custody battle during the divorce. She was famous on the Broadway stage.Good work Miles, your thread.

Thanks, Lav.  This next one may sound like James Cagney portraying George M. Cohan in two movies, but it's not him.

An actor, usually known for character roles, played the title role in a film biography about a well known entrepreneur who dabbled in show business by backing a famous actress in the gilded age.  A few years later, the actor played the same role in a biopic about that same famous actress.  That actress was played by two different women in the two films.  It's not much to go on.  Can you name the two movies?     

MilesArcher--The films are "Diamond Jim" (1935), starring Edward Arnold as "Diamond" Jim Brady, and Binnie Barnes as Lillian Russell, and "Lillian Russell" (1940), starring Alice Faye in the title role and Edward Arnold again as "Diamond" Jim Brady.

You are correct, Film Lover.  

Here is Edward Arnold with Binnie Barnes.

s-l225.jpg

Here he is with Alice Faye.

lillian-russell-1.jpg

Good job, Film Lover.  You're up next.

• Like 1

This comic had a sub-par biopic made about him on which the comic was employed as a "Technical Advisor".  The film won applause for its' stars routines, but was decried for its' "hearts and flowers" approach to the comics' life.  Name the comic, the film, and the three stars of the film.

A famous American had two biopics made about his life in the same year by the same studio.  Can you name those two movies?

A famous American had two biopics made about his life in the same year by the same studio.  Can you name those two movies?

Here's a hint:  The lead actors in the two movies had previously worked together in a film for which one of them won an Oscar.  

Let me correct that hint.  The lead actors in the two films had previously worked together in two movies in which the older of the two had won Oscars.

Young Tom Edison   starring Mickey Rooney

Edison The Man        starring Spencer Tracy

?????

Young Tom Edison starring Mickey Rooney and Edison The Man, starring Spencer Tracey were made in 1940 at MGM.

Before the Edison bios were made, Tracy and Rooney were in Captains Courageous and Boys Town, the 2 films Spencer won his Oscars for. After the 2 films about Edison, Spencer Tracy and Mickey Rooney would both be in Men of Boys Town together in 1944.They were in 3 movies together.

Yes, Lavender.  Sometimes it takes just the right clue for someone to be able to come up with the correct answer to these questions.  I thought it was rather unusual for a studio to make two biographical movies of the same person at different stages of their life, and in the same year.  Good job. Lav, you're up next.

Actress had a success on the stage then in a few films, but had a very sad ending to her career and life. She starred in a film (it's been shown on TCM) that was remade years later with a different actress in the lead. The remake is better known and is considered to be a classic and is very popular with TCMer's. The biopic however is about the actress who starred in the first version. Actress the bio is about ?

Actress had a success on the stage then in a few films, but had a very sad ending to her career and life. She starred in a film (it's been shown on TCM) that was remade years later with a different actress in the lead. The remake is better known and is considered to be a classic and is very popular with TCMer's. The biopic however is about the actress who starred in the first version. Actress the bio is about ?

Lav, this is a very good well-thought-out question.

Jeanne Eagles has never been on my radar because I don't do pre-code. My only knowledge of her is that she had a very sad life.

Of course, I have a vague memory of Kim Novak playing her in this biopic called Jeanne Eagles.

And it's rarely mentioned that she did the original film version of The Letter, which she was nominated for.

In any history of The Letter I get a lot more information about Gladys Cooper who did the role originally on the London stage.

Lav, this is a very good well-thought-out question.

Jeanne Eagles has never been on my radar because I don't do pre-code. My only knowledge of her is that she had a very sad life.

Of course, I have a vague memory of Kim Novak playing her in this biopic called Jeanne Eagles.

And it's rarely mentioned that she did the original film version of The Letter, which she was nominated for.

In any history of The Letter I get a lot more information about Gladys Cooper who did the role originally on the London stage.

Thanks Princess and yes Jeanne Eagles is the actress and the title of the film about her life. Kim Novak starred in this biopic. The film took some liberties with Jeanne Eagles story. Jeanne Eagles did have a very sad ending to her career and life. TCM has shown the Jeanne Eagles version of The Letter. Years ago we discussed the film since it's so rarely shown. It's one of the few, if not the only surviving film Jeanne Eagles made. My belief is that Jeanne made a silent version of The Letter and the sound version (which was shown on TCM). The film Jeanne Eagles and Jeanne Eagles version of The Letter are not shown that often on TCM, so be on the look-out for both films.

Thanks for the compliment and the thread is now yours  :)

Lav, you're welcome.

Next: something a little different.

This actress performed the audition scene of a legendary theater actress within a non-biopic movie. So we're going to need the name of the movie and the actress, as well as the theater legend that she was portraying within the movie.

Lav, you're welcome.

This actress performed the audition scene of a legendary theater actress within a non-biopic movie. So we're going to need the name of the movie and the actress, as well as the theater legend that she was portraying within the movie.

Princess?

Lav, you're welcome.

Hint: This actress was a versatile performer in dramas, comedies and musicals.

Ginger Rogers in The Barkleys of Broadway...playing Sarah Bernhardt  ??