Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Princess of Tap

Biopics/Famous Lives On Screen

A biopic about some well known early Americans was first made in the 1930's.  It was remade in the 1950's.  An actor, who had appeared in the first movie, was the director of the remake.  Another actor, who played a well known historical figure in the remake, had played that same historical figure in another movie just a few years earlier.  Can you name the two movies and the two actors that I referred to?

"The Buccaneer" (1938) & (1959).  Anthony Quinn, who played Beluche in the 1938 film, directed the 1959 remake.  Charlton Heston played Andrew Jackson in the 1959 remake and in 1953's "The President's Lady".

Correctomundo, Film Lover.  DeMille was too ill to direct the remake, so he gave the job to his son-in-law, Anthony Quinn.  You're up next, Film Lover.. 

2 films about Beau Brummell with the same title Beau Brummell.

1924-- Silent movie starring John Barrymore and Mary Astor

1954-- MGM movie starring Stewart Granger and Elizabeth Taylor

Princess, this sounds lke "The Barretts of Wimpole Street" with Jennifer Jones and Bill Travers.

Terrance, I'm sure Jennifer Jones was good in this part, but the 1934 MGM movie directed by Sidney Franklin, was the Academy Award nominated one: starring Norma Shearer, Fredric March and Charles Laughton.

The Stellar Irving G Thalberg production had a brilliant Supporting Cast of Maureen O'Sullivan, Ian Wolfe, Leo G Carroll, and the irrepressible

Una O'Connor.

Terrence, the spotlight is now on you--

Thanks, Princess, Having never seen the original, I'm sure it is superior to the remake.  Let's try this one:

This handsome man was not known for his acting talent, although he was in a number of classic films.

She had a music career before her movie career.

I must be having a senior moment today.  Please disregard what I just posted.  It should have gone with another topic.

Because of his dark, good looks, this actor was often cast as a villain.  But he did star in this biopic of a famous actor.  Name the movie and the star.

Another Hint:  Early in this actor's career, all of his movies were made at the same studio, where he met his future wife.

Shutoo, you got it!  I thought Ray Danton did quite well in the dance numbers.  It was nice to see him in a role other than that of a villain.  Your turn.

This was an unusual biopic:  The subject is a well known figure in American history..but the actor who portrayed him (the subject=the star) received third billing.  Top billing went to an actress who was best known as a musical star.  Second billing went to an actor whose long career would include drama, westerns, comedy, noir, and television.  The 'star' who played the American figure was actually born in England..and many of his other roles (including the title role in a tv series) would reflect his Brit roots and accent.

Sorry for the delay...I just forgot...

This film, from the 40s, was based on a Broadway play.  As I mentioned, the top billed star was famous for her voice, and a song was added to the script just for her.  The story takes place before the subject makes his big breakthrough that changed American commerce in the 1800s,and emphasizes his many set-backs along the way.

If you saw just the title and the top billed actresses' name, you would think it was a musical....it's not...(the title doesn't convey anything about the subject, or his work...)...(I just realized that's a really bad clue...)

• Like 1

Is it Little Old New York,(1940), with Alice Faye, Fred MacMurray, and Richard Greene as Robert Fulton?

That's the one!  Richard Greene got back to his British roots when he became TV's Robin Hood in the 50s series.

Your thread, LawrenceA!

Next: This important European figure has been the subject of many films and TV projects since the silent days. However, there are 3 films that stand above the rest.

1) From the 1950's, it starred a noted Irish character actor. The film earned 2 Oscar nominations.

2) From the 1970's, it starred an American actor that is the more famous son of a longtime character actor.

3) From the 2000's, it starred the younger brother of a well-known British actor. This version was also the film final for a well-known, 2-time Oscar winning actor.

Name the 3 movies, the historical figure, and the 3 men who played him.

Hint: The subject was portrayed in the second film mentioned below by an American actor who became closely associated with a classic detective role on TV.