Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Princess of Tap

Biopics/Famous Lives On Screen

Is it Reds (1981) with Diane Keaton as Louise Bryant and Warren Beatty as her second husband John Reed?

(I think you know this is one of my favorites!)

And one of my top ten!  And it's your thread, Larry.

This biopic from the Golden Era of Hollywood starred one of the studio's biggest stars in a change-of-pace role. It was considered controversial at the time due to the subject matter. 

I need the film, the star, and why it was controversial.

I'll also give the hint that the main character is German.

This biopic from the Golden Era of Hollywood starred one of the studio's biggest stars in a change-of-pace role. It was considered controversial at the time due to the subject matter. 

I need the film, the star, and why it was controversial.

I'll also give the hint that the main character is German.

Dr. Ehrlich's Magic Bullet, with Edward G. Robinson as the doctor working on a treatment for Syphilis.

Dr. Ehrlich's Magic Bullet, with Edward G. Robinson as the doctor working on a treatment for Syphilis.

That's the one. I hoped I wasn't too vague.

Your thread, good sir!

She helped people via "muscle re-education," but the establishment was against her. Who was she, what was the name of the film about her, and who played her?

Was it Sister Kenny about Australian nurse Sister Elizabeth Kenny, played by Rosalind Russell?

It was. Whenever that movie was on television in NYC, one of the listings would say "We prefer Sister Mame." But Sister Kenny is a fine movie.

Your thread.

Charles Laughton, in "The Sign of the Cross" (1932).

Peter Ustinov, in "Quo Vadis" (1951).

Peter Lorre, in "The Story of Mankind" (1957).

Dom DeLouise, in "History of the World, Part I" (1981).

If it's manic, it had to be Betty Hutton.

Betty is manic in 3 roles portraying three different ladies--

Texas Guinan in Incendiary Blonde

Pearl White in the Perils of Pauline

And Annie Oakley in Annie Get Your Gun

On this thread you can ask any question about a Classic Golden Era biopic or a Classic Golden Era movie about a real historical event, whose characters are portraying people who actually lived.

The questions don't have to be limited to the actors, you can also ask questions about the people behind the scenes as well.

Next:

This actor got his start in a New York theater Company.

In Hollywood this distinguished Golden Age actor was an Oscar winner who was known for portraying famous men in history. He was so versatile and his roles were so diverse that his appearance was often radically changed from one film to the next.

When you identify this actor, can you give at least three roles where he played men who shaped history.

Paul Muni

Benito Juarez

Louis Pasteur

Emile Zola

Yes, the Golden Age Man Of A Thousand Faces who inspired this thread.

Swith, two Frenchmen and one Mexican not bad. Your turn--

In a fiction film, this actor played one of the most popular song writers and actors of the early 20th Century, a man who, arguably, wrote the most famous and moving World War I song. Name the actor, the real-life character he plays in the fiction film, the film, and the song.

James Cagney played George M. Cohan in "Yankee Doodle Dandy" (1942)?

The song--"Over There"?

No, sorry. The actor/character/film I'm going for was playing a real-life (British) composer/actor, but in a totally fictional film. Much more recent than Yankee Doodle Dandy.

Hint: The film was not typical of its director. In fact, I'm not sure any of the director's films was much like any of his other films!

As I recall, the song in question was featured in Oh, What a Lovely War! but was not featured in the film in question, as the film took place around 15 years after the end of the war. Other songs by the character were used in the film and are on the soundtrack.

No, sorry. The actor/character/film I'm going for was playing a real-life (British) composer/actor, but in a totally fictional film. Much more recent than Yankee Doodle Dandy.

Hint: The film was not typical of its director. In fact, I'm not sure any of the director's films was much like any of his other films!

As I recall, the song in question was featured in Oh, What a Lovely War! but was not featured in the film in question, as the film took place around 15 years after the end of the war. Other songs by the character were used in the film and are on the soundtrack.

I'm a big fan of Ivor Novello because we used to tap dance to his brilliant song-- And Her Mother Came Too.

I am also a Downton Abbey fanatic, so I also know that Gosford Park came before Downton Abbey with some of the same people involved. Julian Fellowes wrote both this movie and Downton Abbey. Robert Altman directed Gosford Park. Maggie Smith, the star of Downton Abbey also was one of the co-stars of Gosford Park.

In that movie the character of Ivor Novello is featured and played by Jeremy Northam. To my thrill and delight, he actually performs And Her mother came too

in the movie.

Being into this era, I also know Ivor Novello wrote the British support anthem and underlying theme for World War 1 - - Keep the Home Fires Burning.

As much as I love Gosford Park, 2001 and Downton Abbey, 2010 and Julian Fellowes, of course, none of this stuff is really classic or Golden Era, as this thread would call for.

So I can see how someone would immediately say Jimmy Cagney playing George M Cohan and singing Over There in Yankee Doodle Dandy to answer the question

because that is the 1942 answer.

However,In fact I was so crazy about Downton Abbey and everything British that about 4 years ago, I started a thread called-- "Keep Calm and Carry on - - The British Are Coming." This Ivor Novello question would be perfect for that thread. And I'm sure it's back there somewhere on page 3 or 4. LOL

I'm a big fan of Ivor Novello because we used to tap dance to his brilliant song-- And Her Mother Came Too.

I am also a Downton Abbey fanatic, so I also know that Gosford Park came before Downton Abbey with some of the same people involved. Julian Fellowes wrote both this movie and Downton Abbey. Robert Altman directed Gosford Park. Maggie Smith, the star of Downton Abbey also was one of the co-stars of Gosford Park.

In that movie the character of Ivor Novello is featured and played by Jeremy Northam. To my thrill and delight, he actually performs And Her mother came too

in the movie.

Being into this era, I also know Ivor Novello wrote the British support anthem and underlying theme for World War 1 - - Keep the Home Fires Burning.

As much as I love Gosford Park, 2001 and Downton Abbey, 2010 and Julian Fellowes, of course, none of this stuff is really classic or Golden Era, as this thread would call for.

So I can see how someone would immediately say Jimmy Cagney playing George M Cohan and singing Over There in Yankee Doodle Dandy to answer the question

because that is the 1942 answer.

However,In fact I was so crazy about Downton Abbey and everything British that about 4 years ago, I started a thread called-- "Keep Calm and Carry on - - The British Are Coming." This Ivor Novello question would be perfect for that thread. And I'm sure it's back there somewhere on page 3 or 4. LOL

Princess, you are correct, and the thread is yours.

There have already been many examples of non-Golden Age questions/answers, from the '60s and beyond. (Including a good question related to the 1970s films of Ken Russell, who has never to my knowledge been referred to as a "Golden Age" director; and certainly not a Hollywood one!)

Perhaps if it is so important to you, you can change the thread title, thus:

Instead of Biopics/Famous Lives on Screen; you should change the thread title to:

Biopics/Famous Lives on Screen from the Golden Age; then give the years you think the Golden Age was. Also if you think we should be limited to Hollywood, as opposed to the cinema of other countries.

That should be made clear in the title so that we (and especially new posters) don't have to go back to the OP to try to figure it out, LOL!

Princess, you are correct, and the thread is yours.

There have already been many examples of non-Golden Age questions/answers, from the '60s and beyond. (Including a good question related to the 1970s films of Ken Russell, who has never to my knowledge been referred to as a "Golden Age" director; and certainly not a Hollywood one!)

Perhaps if it is so important to you, you can change the thread title, thus:

Instead of Biopics/Famous Lives on Screen; you should change the thread title to:

Biopics/Famous Lives on Screen from the Golden Age; then give the years you think the Golden Age was. Also if you think we should be limited to Hollywood, as opposed to the cinema of other countries.

That should be made clear in the title so that we (and especially new posters) don't have to go back to the OP to try to figure it out, LOL!

When I participate in any thread, I always go back to the OP to see exactly what's going on. I see the OP as the primary source as to how the thing should run.

As far as what's classic and what's not classic - - I can be flexible but Millennium is not classic. LMREO

These three great female Golden Age Hollywood movie stars started their careers in Europe. All three played diverse roles, among which you can find them portraying famous women in European history.

Can you name these 3 outstanding actresses and at least one historical figure that each one portrayed from European history?

When I participate in any thread, I always go back to the OP to see exactly what's going on. I see the OP as the primary source as to how the thing should run.

As far as what's classic and what's not classic - - I can be flexible but Millennium is not classic. LMREO

I seem to recall that you posted Katharine Hepburn as a Supporting Lady recently! You didn't go back to the OP in that thread! ROFL!

These three great female Golden Age Hollywood movie stars started their careers in Europe. All three played diverse roles, among which you can find them portraying famous women in European history.

Can you name these 3 outstanding actresses and at least one historical figure that each one portrayed from European history?

Hint#1-- 2 of these actresses came from Sweden.