Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Princess of Tap

Biopics/Famous Lives On Screen

A big star long ago, now largely forgotten, this actress's early story is the topic of a biopic based on her autobography...but she isn't the star, or title character.   Know the film..the star?

Huh? So it's a fictionalized biopic that doesn't name the original subject? I'm just confused how her autobiography doesn't have her as the main character.

She wrote the book about a certain time of her life.  She is, of course, depicted in the film, but she is not the main  character mentioned in the title of her book and the film.  She was actually an Oscar nominee, and has a star on the Walk of Fame.

• Like 1

Is it Papa's Delicate Condition, based on an autobiographical work by actress Corinne Griffith?

(I never knew that was based on her life!)

That's it (and you thought I was crazy...)  Evidently, Ms. Griffith wasn't too pleased with the film's casting..she wanted Fred Astaire in the lead.  She was a smart cookie--invested early in LA real estate and made millions.

Your thread, LawrenceA!

This actress was a popular musical comedy star of the Golden Era. Although audiences greatly enjoyed her singing and dancing talents, she more than once proved that she could hold her own on the dramatic scene.

In a well-acclaimed biopic, she portrays a famous English woman in history who was not only a trailblazer for professional women, but was also a Christian who was not afraid to die for her beliefs and actions.

When you identify this actress and the film, please also named several of her supporting players, who we're not just outstanding in this film, but were some of old Hollywood's finest character actresses.

This actress was a popular musical comedy star of the Golden Era. Although audiences greatly enjoyed her singing and dancing talents, she more than once proved that she could hold her own on the dramatic scene.

In a well-acclaimed biopic, she portrays a famous English woman in history who was not only a trailblazer for professional women, but was also a Christian who was not afraid to die for her beliefs and actions.

When you identify this actress and the film, please also named several of her supporting players, who we're not just outstanding in this film, but were some of old Hollywood's finest character actresses.

Hint-- This actress was also English, like the character she portrayed in the movie.

Anna Neagle, in "Nurse Edith Cavell" (1939)?

Some of her female costars were--Edna May Oliver, May Robson, Zasu Pitts, and Mary Howard.

That's a great story about a very heroic woman, but unfortunately I have never had a chance to see the movie.

Film Lover, Good Job! You're up--

This man had three movies made about him in the Golden Era, two Hollywood films and one foreign.  One  Hollywood film concentrated on one of his mistresses; the other on a would-be wife he rejected.  The foreign film featured both of them.  Please name this man, the films, who played him in each film, and who played his mistress and potential wife who was jilted for royalty in each film.

Hint--For the most recent Hollywood film, the leading man appeared in it to settle a studio lawsuit filed against him for fleeing another role he had contracted to do.

Well, I know a lot about Napoleon, but I don't know very much about films made about Napoleon.

Marlon Brando made of well- known film in the 1950s I believe. And then there's the famous silent film classic made by Abel Gance in 1927.

I've never seen the next one, but of course I've read about it - - MGM made a movie called Conquest starring Charles Boyer and Greta Garbo. Garbo plays Napoleon's famous Polish mistress Marie Walewska.

I also came up with a very French movie starring Danielle Darrieux as Josephine and Lana Marconi as the mistress-- the 1955 Napoleon.

I seem to be missing at least one of your films. The only way I got this was through the Cole Porter clue because I love that song in Silk Stockings, Josephine.

Silk Stockings was Cole Porter's last Broadway show and the film version was Fred Astaire's last MGM Musical. (Sorry, I just had to get that in.)

Princess--You got two of the three movies. Conquest and the 1955 Napoleon are correct.

Brando was a correct star.  He decided he didn't want to star in "The Egyptian" (1954), and fled from that commitment.  He starred in "Desiree" (1954) as a replacement.  Merle Oberon was Josephine, and Jean Simmons was starred in the title role.

You got most of the question correct, so it's your thread Princess.

Marilyn Miller?

She was portrayed by Judy Garland In 1946's "Till The Clouds Roll By" and June Haver in 1949's "Look For The Silver Lining".

And they both probably sang Who Stole My Heart Away?

Except for musical comedy aficionados, like us, I think Marilyn Miller is largely forgotten today.

Film, You're up--

This movie bio is worthless as biography, but is a treasure trove of its' composers songs (more than twenty are used in the film).  Name the film, the composers, and three of the musical performers and the song(s) they performed.

This movie bio is worthless as biography, but is a treasure trove of its' composers songs (more than twenty are used in the film). Name the film, the composers, and three of the musical performers and the song(s) they performed.

The only movie that I can I call from my childhood that had two artists who composed together was Words and Music with Mickey Rooney playing Larry Hart and

Tom Drake playing Dick Rodgers.

My favorite entries from Words and Music are:

Judy Garland singing Johnny One Note.

Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney singing I Wish I was in love again.

Ann Sothern singing Where's That Rainbow.

And the weirdest entry was June Allyson doing Thou Swell with those two weird twins.

Correct!

My favorite is Lena Horne singing "Where or When" and "The Lady Is A Tramp".

Your thread, Princess

Film I've got to say that Judy is a better singer, but Lena Horne was the prettiest thing in that movie singing the Lady Is A Tramp in that white flowing dress with the lavender trim.

Thank you. I shall return.

We've done a number of classical music biopics, so let's go to another genre of music-- big band swing.

I'm thinking of three major biopics released during the Golden Era about famous big band musicians who have become immortal as musical Legends.

There may be more than three or you may think of three others that I didn't think of. At any rate, let's give it a go--

Of course you have to list The Glenn Miller Story with James Stewart. Then there's The Benny Goodman Story with Steve Allen. And how about The Eddy Duchin Story with Tyrone Power.