Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Princess of Tap

Biopics/Famous Lives On Screen

This (fictionalized) biopic was of an American soldier who made his biggest mark fighting for another country. The star was one of the biggest movie stars of the time, and he was able to wrangle some of the other biggest names in movies of the day to make cameo appearances. The star's son also made his uncredited film debut in this, and he would go on to stardom nearly equaling that of his father.

Name the film, the star, three of the famous cameos, and the uncredited son.

I think it's "Cast A Giant Shadow" with Kirk Douglas.  Michael Douglas appeared in the movie, as did John Wayne, Frank Sinatra, and Yul Brynner.  John Wayne's son, Michael Wayne, was one of the producers, so it probably wasn't too hard to get his dad involved.

I guess this thread sort of fell by the wayside.  Let's get it started again.  There was an actor who portrayed his own father in two different biopics.  One was about his father, and the other was about a female performer who had worked with his father.  One of these movies was shown on TCM fairly recently.  Can you name this actor and the two movies where he portrayed his own father?

Here's a hint:  The famous father made the transition from silent films to talkies.  The son actually portrayed his father in two biopics about people who worked with his father on stage.  One was a versatile song and dance man.  The other was a talented singing/dancing woman.  This is in addition to the biopic that he starred in about his own father. 

Eddie Foy Jr. played his dad in Yankee Doodle Dandy and Lillian Russell, which fits the song/dance man and woman biopics...but didn't play dad in biopic...so it's not him, right?

Right, it's not Eddie Foy Jr.  The actor that I'm referring to was the son of a stage and movie star.  His famous dad had appeared on the New York stage with the male and female subjects of the other two biopics.  All three had worked for Ziegfeld.  His dad died in the mid-1930's. 

Right, it's not Eddie Foy Jr. The actor that I'm referring to was the son of a stage and movie star. His famous dad had appeared on the New York stage with the male and female subjects of the other two biopics. All three had worked for Ziegfeld. His dad died in the mid-1930's.

Will Rogers Jr-- it seems like I saw him recently in something. I think it was Look for the Silver Lining where June Haver played Ziegfeld star Marilyn Miller. And I looked him up to find that he was also in the Eddie Cantor story.

He bore an uncanny resemblance to his own father.

Very good, Princess.  Of course, he played his dad in "The Will Rogers Story", and he certainly did look a lot like his father.  It's your turn, Princess.

In this biopic movie, one of the leads was a magician and a dancer who eventually became legendary in another profession.

Hint: This is most assuredly not a historical drama.

Is it "Thee Little Words", with Fred Astaire as songwriter Bert Kalmar, and Red Skelton as his partner, Harry Ruby?  

Is it "Thee Little Words", with Fred Astaire as songwriter Bert Kalmar, and Red Skelton as his partner, Harry Ruby?

Miles, I knew you would be right and not wrong, "Nevertheless", I've been waiting on you to answer this question.LOL

Miles, it's your turn--

Correct, Lavender.  Bing's "Holiday Inn" co-star was Marjorie Reynolds.  She was probably becoming known as that Mason girl.  In "Up In The Air", she played Anne Mason, In "Holiday Inn", she played Linda Mason, and in "Dixie" she played Jean Mason.  Here is a clip of Bing from "Dixie"

You're up next, Lavender.

Thanks Miles  :)

This bio was based on the life of a man in the music business. He was very popular and well known in the 1930's and 1940's. Film, actor who portrayed him, and the guy the film was about ???

His son also a musician

Only the last one got it--

The great pianist Eddy Duchin was portrayed by Tyrone Power in the movie the Eddy Duchin Story and the love interest was Kim Novak.

His son Peter Duchin is also a fine pianist.