Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Only the last one got it--

The great pianist Eddy Duchin was portrayed by Tyrone Power in the movie the Eddy Duchin Story and the love interest was Kim Novak.

His son Peter Duchin is also a fine pianist.

Yes, The Eddy Duchin Story starring Tyrone Power as Eddy Duchin and Kim Novak. Love this film. Peter, his son, wrote an autobiography a few years ago, a fascinating story, fascinating, talented people. Although the film is somewhat fictionized it's still a very good film. Your thread Princess 

This actor played a famous band conductor, who was also a famous composer.

Hint: He started his career on Broadway.

Please name the actor, the band conductor he portrayed, one of that conductor's famous compositions and of course one of the famous Broadway shows that the actor was famous for.

Clifton Webb? Broadway hits included Sunny and Blithe Spirit; portrayed bandleader/composer John Philip Sousa in Stars and Stripes Forever--​which is one of Sousa's compositions.

On Broadway in 1938, Clifton Webb introduced the Cole Porter legendary standard "At Long Last Love" from "You Never Know".

Shutoo, Good job, all yours--

This is an odd bio pic from the 40s:  The director (and co-writer) is well known for comedy, but the subject is serious.  Evidently, the director wanted this to be a serious film, but the studio shelved it, and eventually re-cut it achieving sort of a comedy/drama/biography.  Scenes shift from slapstick moments with light music to life and death scenes.  Several of the director's favorites from his comedy classics, including the leading man, appear in the movie.  The director went back to his comedy formula after this.  Do you know the film, director and star?  I won't ask if you know the subject..it's doubtful anyone has heard of him.

This is an odd bio pic from the 40s:  The director (and co-writer) is well known for comedy, but the subject is serious.  Evidently, the director wanted this to be a serious film, but the studio shelved it, and eventually re-cut it achieving sort of a comedy/drama/biography.  Scenes shift from slapstick moments with light music to life and death scenes.  Several of the director's favorites from his comedy classics, including the leading man, appear in the movie.  The director went back to his comedy formula after this.  Do you know the film, director and star?  I won't ask if you know the subject..it's doubtful anyone has heard of him.

The Great Moment (1944), directed by Preston Sturges, starring Joel McCrea as Dr. William T.G. Morton, who pioneered the use of ether in dentistry? 

The Great Moment (1944), directed by Preston Sturges, starring Joel McCrea as Dr. William T.G. Morton, who pioneered the use of ether in dentistry? 

I can't believe how quickly you got this!  yay LawrenceA--your thread!

This controversial religious leader was portrayed on screen by a horror legend in a film about another religious leader.

Name the film, both real-life subjects, the actors that played them, and the actual star, who, despite the title, was the main character!

In the 1940 movie "Brigham Young", Vincent Price portrays Mormon founder Joseph Smith, Dean Jagger plays the title role of Brigham Young, and Tyrone Power is the main star.

Those are the three! Good job, Miles.

Your thread.

Biopics of this songwriter have been made a couple of times.  In one of them, Broadway's original Frank Butler plays a showman.  What was the movie, who was it about, who played that showman, and who starred as the songwriter?

It's been shown on TCM, but not in a while.

Biopics of this songwriter have been made a couple of times. In one of them, Broadway's original Frank Butler plays a showman. What was the movie, who was it about, who played that showman, and who starred as the songwriter?

It's been shown on TCM, but not in a while.

I saw this movie when I was a kid and I had to play this song for piano lessons--I Dream of Jeannie - the story of Stephen Collins Foster played by Ethel Merman's Frank Butler, Ray Middleton as Edwin Christie and Stephen Collins Foster was played by Bill Shirley.

I had the Ethel Merman record and he wasn't a bad at all, but I never really heard much of him on the singing side.

Very good, Princess.  Yes, Broadway stars were often passed over for parts in movies.  Stephen Foster's life had also been the subject of another movie, "Swanee River" back in 1939.  It starred Don Ameche and Al Jolson played Edwin Christy.  Here is a clip of Ray Middleton.

By the way, that is singing cowboy Rex Allen in blackface as Mr. Tambo.

Princess, the thread is yours.

This biopic is about a man who was one of the founders of the foundation

of the British Empire.

Ironically that same decade, a direct descendant of this man starred in one of the iconic Golden Age masterpieces of Hollywood.

Hint: Both the biopic and The descendant's great film came from the 1930's.

Please identify the biopic and who starred as the British hero, as well as the name of that actor who is his direct descendant, along with his starring role in a masterpiece of a film.

Ronald Colman starred in "Clive Of India" about Robert Clive, who led the British in making India part of the British Empire.  Actor Colin Clive, who was in the movie, was Robert Clive's descendant.  Colin Clive, of course, played the title role in "Frankenstein".

Ronald Colman starred in "Clive Of India" about Robert Clive, who led the British in making India part of the British Empire. Actor Colin Clive, who was in the movie, was Robert Clive's descendant. Colin Clive, of course, played the title role in "Frankenstein".

Miles, I've been waiting for you--

Of all my childhood memories of this film, all I can remember are those beautiful gowns worn by Miss Loretta Young, along with two of my favorite actors: Ronald Colman and Colin Clive.

Miles, you're up--

Yes, Loretta always had a good fashion sense.

Now, the star of this biopic about a famous female historical figure, may actually have been descended from, or at least related to, that famous woman.  The actual historical facts are rather unclear.  The movie took some liberties with history.  What is the name of the movie and who are the stars?  Here is a hint:  A real life husband and wife had major roles in the film.  

Yes, Loretta always had a good fashion sense.

Now, the star of this biopic about a famous female historical figure, may actually have been descended from, or at least related to, that famous woman. The actual historical facts are rather unclear. The movie took some liberties with history. What is the name of the movie and who are the stars? Here is a hint: A real life husband and wife had major roles in the film.

Miles, I think I need a hint on this one.

Yes. Princess.  Fredric March played the Earl of Bothwell. whose real name was James Hepburn.   He and Mary had an affair and later married.  They had a son together.  Was Katherine Hepburn a descendant?  I really don't know.  You're up next, Princess.   

Famous Writers from French Literature in Hollywood

Please identify the following films, along with the actor/actress in the starring role:

Medieval Poet--1920's film

19th Century Novelist--1930's film

17th Century Novelist and Playwright--1950's film

19th Century Poet--1990's film

• 4 weeks later...

Medieval Poet--Francois Villon, played by John Barrymore in "Beloved Rogue" (1927).

19th Century novelist--Emile Zola. played by Paul Muni in "The Life of Emile Zola" (1937).

19th Century Poet--Arthur Rimbaud & Paul Verlaine, played by Leonardo DiCaprio & David Thewlis, respectively, in "Total Eclipse" (1995).

I can't find the 1950's film.

Medieval Poet--Francois Villon, played by John Barrymore in "Beloved Rogue" (1927).

19th Century novelist--Emile Zola. played by Paul Muni in "The Life of Emile Zola" (1937).

19th Century Poet--Arthur Rimbaud & Paul Verlaine, played by Leonardo DiCaprio & David Thewlis, respectively, in "Total Eclipse" (1995).

I can't find the 1950's film.

Film Lover--très bien joué

The 17th century French novelist and playwright is Cyrano de Bergerac.

Jose Ferrar won the 1950 Academy Award for portraying Cyrano in the film based on the 19th century play by Edmond Rostand.

Vive LA France!

FL, A VOTRE--It's all yours!