Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WHO ELSE IS THERE?

Palmerin

That's what some ignoramus said about Dunaway in a discussion about which actors of the 1970s had star quality; in the opinion of those nitwits FD was the only female who achieved that status.

What about such people as Sally Field and Streep, who started getting noticed in that very decade? To say that the 70s belonged exclusively to Dunaway is the same as saying that the 30s belonged exclusively to Davis, to the total exclusion of such as Crawford, Hepburn, and Loy!

That's what some ignoramus said about Dunaway in a discussion about which actors of the 1970s had star quality; in the opinion of those nitwits FD was the only female who achieved that status.

What about such people as Sally Field and Streep, who started getting noticed in that very decade? To say that the 70s belonged exclusively to Dunaway is the same as saying that the 30s belonged exclusively to Davis, to the total exclusion of such as Crawford, Hepburn, and Loy!

I believe the nitwit who said that about Dunaway was Joan Crawford.

I believe the nitwit who said that about Dunaway was Joan Crawford.

So, sort of a "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" kind'a thing, Rich?

(...I mean, seein' as how Dunaway would end up getting on Bette Davis' bad side during the filming of that Aimee McPherson TV flick)

Sally Field had girl next door qualities but never really star \ diva type quality.    Streep clearly has star qualities but that wasn't until very late in the 70s.  

Anyhow other then Field and Streep what other actress that made films during the entire 70s,  had the type of star qualities that FD had?     Diane Keaton was in many great films during the 70s but she was unique (and still is),  and I don't know if her qualities are 'star' qualities.

Anyhow other then Field and Streep what other actress that made films during the entire 70s,  had the type of star qualities that FD had?     Diane Keaton was in many great films during the 70s but she was unique (and still is),  and I don't know if her qualities are 'star' qualities.

Jane Fonda, although a lot of people couldn't separate the political side. She was still a major star throughout the decade, though. In fact, I tend to think of her as the star actress of the decade.

• Like 3

My favorite actress of the 70s is Karen Black

screen.png

Love everything about her. Her god-daughter Juliette Lewis said anyone who crossed her path had their life made better because of it. To me, she had some of the best material of the 70s, and she worked with great A-list directors. There isn't a false note in any of her performances. 

• Like 2

To be honest, I grew up with a bad habit of confusing Sissy Spacek and Shelley Duvall...   :huh:

The fact that one of them could play Olive Oyl is how I still tell them apart.

But yes, a big-studio A-movie in the golden-age 70's pretty much either had Faye Dunaway or Karen Black in it, as a general rule.

Sally Field wasn't a "thing" until her big "You like me!" Oscar-validation in 1979.  We can stretch the "movie 70's" out to '80 or '81, but that's still pretty late.

• Like 1

Jane Fonda, although a lot of people couldn't separate the political side. She was still a major star throughout the decade, though. In fact, I tend to think of her as the star actress of the decade.

Yes. As an actress and a producer she was big from the mid-70s on. Faye's career was off and on in the 70s...

The biggest problem with trying to find larger than life divas of the 1970's is that no one was making movies for them to star in.  Look at the line up of top 70's movies compared to one from the top 40's movies and you'll see a huge difference. 

MASH

Rocky

Taxi Diver

Patton

Apocalypse Now

Animal House

vs

Rebecca

Double Indemnity

Letter to Three Wives

The Philadelphia Story

Leave Her to Heaven

Laura

Gilda

Mildred Pierce

• Like 2

Yes,  Jane Fonda!   I love this women. 

Yes, I suppose Jane has always had many facets to her personality, James. ;)

(...sorry, couldn't resist...and yes, I'd say she especially would be right up there with anybody when it comes to notable actresses of the '70s)

When Joan complimented Faye in the early 1970s Field and Streep were not even on her radar. In the interview she also gave praise to a number of foreign actresses including Catherine Deneuve and Romy Schneider; she noted others but I can't recall offhand.

When Joan complimented Faye in the early 1970s Field and Streep were not even on her radar. In the interview she also gave praise to a number of foreign actresses including Catherine Deneuve and Romy Schneider; she noted others but I can't recall offhand.

Ah,  timing is everything.  ;)  

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings