Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM programmers-Please select Joan Blondell as one of your stars of the month in 2017

Blondell Cagney

2017 is almost upon us and after all these years I'm still surprised that Joan Blondell has never been chosen as "Star of the Month" Many of her films have been shown on TCM throughout the years so licensing should not be an issue. She managed to stay relevant after the pre-code era, could play the lead as well as the side-kick, and proved she could be a fine dramatic actress in "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" Thoughts anyone? (As you can see by my user name, I'm a huge fan of hers)

• Like 3

I think the problem might be they don't see her as a lead but more as a sidekick. I could be wrong about this. Her work in a film like A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN cemented her status as a character actress/supporting player. But then there are all those precodes where she was the lead.

I'm a fan and there's certainly a reason she had such a long career. At the very least, TCM should give her a primetime spotlight one evening. 

• Like 1

2017 is almost upon us and after all these years I'm still surprised that Joan Blondell has never been chosen as "Star of the Month" Many of her films have been shown on TCM throughout the years so licensing should not be an issue. She managed to stay relevant after the pre-code era, could play the lead as well as the side-kick, and proved she could be a fine dramatic actress in "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" Thoughts anyone? (As you can see by my user name, I'm a huge fan of hers)

Funny that your nickname is Blondell Cagney;   TCM did feature Joan for a day in August as part of Summer Under the Stars,  but they showed so many films with Cagney,   it looked more like a tribute for him instead of her.    TCM has easy access to all of those 30s Warner Brother films so I assume that is the reason.

Of course Blondell made many films without Cagney e.g. after she left WB,   but only in a few comedies in the late 30s was she the leading actor of a film.   

Anyhow I love Joan so I'm all for seeing more of her on TCM.

• Like 1

TCM did feature Joan for a day in August as part of Summer Under the Stars,  but they showed so many films with Cagney,   it looked more like a tribute for him instead of her.    

This happens with Nelson Eddy & Jeanette MacDonald and with Greer Garson & Walter Pidgeon. When one of them gets singled out for a tribute, it invariably means a tribute for the other one, too!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings