Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So Who Else Had A Perri the Squirrel Stuffed Toy?

TomJH

I had completely forgotten about having been taken to the show in 1957 by my parents to see Perri, the Walt Disney "true life" documentary until I saw that TCM had scheduled that film for broadcast tonight.

Talk about nostalgia! Not only that, but I suddenly remembered that I was such a fan of Perri that my parents bought me a Perri the Squirrel stuffed toy. Guess I wore it along with my Davy Crockett c o o n skin hat.

il_fullxfull.423984861_d42g.jpg

I also have vague memories of a Perri the Squirrel comic book, so I googled it and, sure enough . . .

24837cafc91483df4b62a542af4b4c10.jpg

Of course, the circumstances under which some of these "true life" adventures were filmed was often not great for the animals involved. If I remember correctly, Perri gets chased around a tree by a martin, but manages to make an escape. Seems to me that years ago I read that a number of "Perris" had to be used in that sequence because the martin was faster in real life than he was in this carefully edited version, and Uncle Walt, of course, didn't want a sad ending for his rodent star.

Boy, how they kept that news quiet back in 1957, and, boy, how it would have upset me (and a million other kids) if we had known. And, boy, how Uncle Walt would have been upset if news of this kind had leaked plummeting the box office sales of this film (and undoubtedly impacting other true life animal adventures from his studio, as well).

Anyway, I'll be taking my first look at Perri in almost 60 years (shouldn't have written that statement; makes me feel much more ancient than I did when I started this thread five minutes ago) to see if the adventures of this furry woodland creature still intrigue me as they had many moons ago.

• Like 3

Entertaining write-up here again, Tom.

(...oh, and to answer your question here, no, I don't recall my havin' a stuffed squirrel as a kid...but I believe Norman might have had one sittin' inside that Bates Motel office of his)

;)

Entertaining write-up here again, Tom.

(...oh, and to answer your question here, no, I don't recall my havin' a stuffed squirrel as a kid...but I believe Norman might have had one sittin' inside that Bates Motel office of his)

;)

Norman's stuffed animals were a little different from mine, Dargo.

It seems to me that back in 1957 it was totally cool to have a Perri the Squirrel toy. Of course, if I was still playing with it today I suppose that the coolness factor would be questioned by some.

• Like 2

I was a (little) kid in 1957 but never heard of Perri. I guess I was preoccupied with Chilly Willy, Crusader Rabbit, Howdy Doody, and the delights of Million Dollar Movie and Shock Theater (my movie obsession started very early).  I do remember that my father took me to a double bill of The She Creature and It Conquered the World around that time.

But a cuddly creature of 1957 whom I did not meet until years later was this lovable chap:

giphy.gif

• Like 3

I had completely forgotten about having been taken to the show in 1957 by my parents to see Perri, the Walt Disney "true life" documentary until I saw that TCM had scheduled that film for broadcast tonight.

Talk about nostalgia! Not only that, but I suddenly remembered that I was such a fan of Perri that my parents bought me a Perri the Squirrel stuffed toy. Guess I wore it along with my Davy Crockett c o o n skin hat.

il_fullxfull.423984861_d42g.jpg

I also have vague memories of a Perri the Squirrel comic book, so I googled it and, sure enough . . .

24837cafc91483df4b62a542af4b4c10.jpg

Of course, the circumstances under which some of these "true life" adventures were filmed was often not great for the animals involved. If I remember correctly, Perri gets chased around a tree by a martin, but manages to make an escape. Seems to me that years ago I read that a number of "Perris" had to be used in that sequence because the martin was faster in real life than he was in this carefully edited version, and Uncle Walt, of course, didn't want a sad ending for his rodent star.

Boy, how they kept that news quiet back in 1957, and, boy, how it would have upset me (and a million other kids) if we had known. And, boy, how Uncle Walt would have been upset if news of this kind had leaked plummeting the box office sales of this film (and undoubtedly impacting other true life animal adventures from his studio, as well).

Anyway, I'll be taking my first look at Perri in almost 60 years (shouldn't have written that statement; makes me feel much more ancient than I did when I started this thread five minutes ago) to see if the adventures of this furry woodland creature still intrigue me as they had many moons ago.

I had some sort of hardback book with pictures from the movie. I dont think I saw it in theaters but I dont remember.

I was a (little) kid in 1957 but never heard of Perri. I guess I was preoccupied with Chilly Willy, Crusader Rabbit, Howdy Doody, and the delights of Million Dollar Movies and Shock Theater (my movie obsession started very early). 

Well, I was into Howdy Doody, too (as well as Captain Kangaroo weekday mornings before heading to school).

I was also getting my first introduction to Golden Age Hollywood thanks to numerous television stations at the time. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein was an obsession of my own at the time, among so many others. I remember jumping up and down on my bed substituting for a ship as I played Captain Blood, swinging a stick or some such object as a sword.

Norman's stuffed animals were a little different from mine, Dargo.

It seems to me that back in 1957 it was totally cool to have a Perri the Squirrel toy. Of course, if I was still playing with it today I suppose that the coolness factor would be questioned by some.

Yeah, I suppose so. ;)

Okay, actually I only remember owning a stuffed teddy bear back then.

And in fact, I remember Teddy, that was my little name for him(how original, eh?!) and I would have all sorts of adventures and carry on all sorts of conversations. Well, that is when any adults weren't around anyway.

(...and which now reminds me that I never did follow through with that little lawsuit for idea infringement that I wanted to slap on that dude who started that Calvin and Hobbes comic strip...the rat *******!) 

• Like 1

Yeah, I suppose so. ;)

Okay, actually I only remember owning a stuffed teddy bear back then.

And in fact, I remember Teddy, that was my little name for him(how original, eh?!) and I would have all sorts of adventures and carry on all sorts of conversations. Well, that is when any adults weren't around anyway.

(...I which now reminds me that I never did follow through with that little lawsuit for ideal infringement that I wanted to slap on that dude who stated that Calvin and Hobbes comic strip...the rat *******!) 

That reminds me, Dargo, I used to have a lot of stuffed toys (Big Teddy, Lamb, what great names I gave them, eh?) lined up on my bed. They were the last things I saw before turning out the lights at night.

But I recall one time when my parents had some visitors over and I heard them climbing the stairs so they could see "little Tommy." Suddenly I was throwing those stuffed friends of mine under the bed so the guests wouldn't see them. Into the dust or monsters under the bed or whatever there was there they went - there went Lamb, there went Perri, there went Big Teddy and all the others.

In retrospect I guess I overreacted. The guests would have understood my having those stuffed friends. After all, I was only 19.

Hey, just kidding, of course. ;)

(I was 17).

• Like 2

That little guy is so cute, I hadda go on Ebay to see if they're available and they are. I wonder how these people come up with these bizarro prices? The cost is all over the place.

Really? Perri is still available?

Nice to know that some people saved him. I haven't a clue what happened to mine.

I still have bad memories of my parents throwing my stuffed animal out as I was too big for that sort of thing anymore (no, I wasnt 17!) I remember the pleasure I got from rubbing my fingers between his little paws. I forget his name now. But I remember crying.  I've never forgotten the injustice of adults!

I had a Perri Squirel when I was a kid, but I never knew there was a movie until a few years ago.  My family has always referred to squirrels in our yard as "Perri squirrel"...  my sister replaced mine a few years ago.....

IMG_0087_zpshfyhqfmf.jpg IMG_0088_zpssuulncm2.jpg

• Like 1

I had a Perri Squirel when I was a kid, but I never knew there was a movie until a few years ago.  My family has always referred to squirrels in our yard as "Perri squirrel"...  my sister replaced mine a few years ago.....

Good to see another Perri Squirrel owner. The movie's on at 8pm (EST) tonight, if you care.

• Like 1

Okay, I gotta admit for a while as a kid, I WAS a big squirrel fan. 

However, I think it was just around the Christmas of '59 and when I got that plane that loops the loop and that hula hoop that year was when I changed my allegiances from squirrels to their close cousins, chipmunks.

(...and as I recall, it was some hit recording by a guy named Seville who changed all that for me) 

• Like 1

I still have bad memories of my parents throwing my stuffed animal out as I was too big for that sort of thing anymore (no, I wasnt 17!) I remember the pleasure I got from rubbing my fingers between his little paws. I forget his name now. But I remember crying.  I've never forgotten the injustice of adults!

That must have been hard for you, Hibi.

But I remember my own little trauma as a kid. I recall being fascinated by a little mouse who used to emerge from a small hole in a wall of my bedroom. I would lie in my bed and watch him scurry around the room. I used to put a bit of cheese on the floor for him by the hole.

Of course, once my mother found out her reaction to the mouse was disappointingly conventional.

"You're NOT going to have a mouse in your room!"

"But he's my friend!"

That kind of logic didn't have much impact upon Mom's decision making and out came the mouse traps. Which I thought was cruel and totally unfair. My parents take me to the show to see Perri the Squirrel but I can't have a little Perri in my bedroom. No, sir, I didn't like it. Not one bit at all.

In retrospect that incident may have been the first time that I had ever dealt with death. Either that, or the time I looked at the gold fish bowl and called out to my mother, "Why are the fish swimming on top of the water?"

It took about a minute for that innocent question to finally register with Mom before she rushed into the room and two dead gold fish were flushed down the toilet.

Fish swimming on top of the water. Look, folks, I was an inquisitive kid, but no one ever proclaimed I was the brightest one they ever met.

But when it comes to death I recall when my parents told me that our next door neighbour, Mr. Hall, had passed away (cancer, I think). I was six or so, I guess, at the time, and I spent the next few weeks drawing pictures of Mr. Hall lying in his coffin. Apparently I was obsessed with it. My parents must have looked at each other and wondered what kind of demon child they had given birth to.

But, as much as they tried, my parents could only protect me so much from some of the cruel realities of life. Just last last night, watching Perri on TCM for the first time since my folks took me to see it at the show, I saw how much of that Disney child's fantasy film was preoccupied with survival and sudden death in the forest (in fact, a reflection of reality even in this story).

Disney was no stranger, of course, in dealing with the subject matter of death in his movie fantasies. Remember the death of Bambi's mother? It can break your heart just thinking about that little fawn having to fend alone without his mother, collection of animated cells that he may have been, or not.

I was taken to the show to see that film, as well. Made a huge impression upon me, even bigger than Perri. I still think Bambi's a pretty great film.

I seem to be the only one here who's never even HEARD of Perri The Squirrell, let alone have the TOY.

I missed the film last night, so I couldn't comment.

The closest I can come is to say I had a  LAMBCHOP hand puppet(as seen on the SHARI LEWIS television show).  And I also had CHARLIE HORSE.

But being a boy, AND over the age of 3 when that film came out, it's doubtful I'd have gotten the stuffed toy anyway.

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings