Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best SciFi Film of the 1950's

dsl5068

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I would say somewhere between earth vs the flying saucers and Forbidden Planet...others where fun but these two shaped that era's sci-fi and ufo craze

==============================

www.theseventhvoyage.com

Dedicated to Ray Harryhausen

• 3 weeks later...

I am new to forums...so, if I rattle on please let me know.

Science Fiction was the first genre I read as a child. Growing up, most movies shown on local tv stations late Friday nights or on the weekends were either horror or science fiction. Watching 50's sf is one of my cherished childhood memories - still watch whenever the chance presents itself.

As for the best...it's really subjective isn't it? But if locked in a room without Scotch or cigarettes, these are a few of the movies that would help me get through the days:

The Thing From Another World

[Howard Hawks may have been credited as producer, but if he didn't direct he sure had a lot of input];

Invasion of the Body Snatchers;

The Day the Earth Stood Still;

Forbidden Planet;

Them;

Earth vs. the Martians;

and too many more to list.

• 3 weeks later...

All of those were good. But, how about the original "War of the Worlds?"

I remember when I was working as a receptionist in a law firm (many moons ago) I was in the senior attorney's office and his dictating machine started making a noise such as the flying saucers in "War of the Worlds." I pointed this out to my boss, who immediately agreed and we started discussing sci-fi flics.

• 1 month later...

Any of the Giant Bug movies i consider classic and sadly are not available anywhere. I guess it depends on your point of view if you consider these Science Fiction or horror.

Them, Tarantula, Monolith Monsters, This Island Earth, Attack of the 50 foot woman, The Amazing Colossal Man, The Mole People, IT CONQUERED THE WORLD, INVASION OF THE SAUCERMEN..... The List goes on and on. I wish some of these would get released on Dvd.

Another one I remember is "The Plane that Dissapeared". Every Saturaday night at midnight a sci-fi/horror show came on in my area called Hazel the Witch, this was in the late 1960's. TCM only airs the well known films which are not my favorites. I like the B-movie sci-fi films better. So maybe TCM should have the worst sci-fi films ever because they would be the best.

• 1 month later...

I never like the term "best" because it's too subjective and the only way to really consider a film the best would be to have seen every one made and that's not realistic. However, as for my favorite '50s sci-fi film, it's "War of the Worlds". The story is great and, for it's time, the effects were first class.