Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Carlyle Blackwell

drednm

Here's a short 1912 film I translated from Dutch and composed a short score for. The Colonel's Escape was filmed in California and stars Carlyle Blackwell, Alice Joyce, and Knute Rahm. The Kalem Company made films from 1907 to 1917 when it was sold to Vitagraph. The window escape scene is beautifully shot. Note that the camera never moves and that the intertitles merely set up the following scene. There's no dialog or backstory. Easy to see why Blackwell was a major (if now forgotten) star of the silent era.

• Like 4

Fascinating! Thanks for posting this.

The IMDb entry is screwed up big time. They have Carlyle Blackwell playing the wrong part. In addition, the actor playing C. Rhys Price, is, in fact, C. Rhys Price. His photo is below:

Untitled_zpsqjog4kq1.png

Price fought in Mexico, then left after an assassination attempt, landing in Los Angeles. For a few years, the Mexicans tried to get him back so they could kill him. I believe the Mexican government had a $25,000 price on his head. He eventually worked for the Kalem Company. Contemporary accounts for this film claim that he was in it (which, of course, was a major marketing ploy). At first, I thought those were mistakes, until I saw his picture and read up on him.

During WWI, he joined the Canadian forces, and was killed in France.

• Like 1

Thanks for pointing out the role of the real-life C. Rhys Pryce. Who knew?  He apparently appeared in several early silents and was a famous "soldier of fortune" in those days.

IMDb says he was killed in France during WW I but other sources have him alive and well in Canada in the mid-1920s. Who knows.....

I found his obituary in a couple of 1915 newspapers, so I am assuming his date of death is correct, unless he was misidentified.

I sent two cast corrections to the imdb page yesterday, for Blackwell and Pryce. Today I checked, and they messed them both up. Instead of listing Blackwell as Boyd, they now list him as Rhys Pryce, and they list Knute Rahm as Boyd! I give up.

By the way, if you check Pryce's imdb page, the photo shown is from The Colonel's Escape.

IMDb is not always very quick at making corrections to cast lists. They seem to have added Pryce/Price but have not gotten to Blackwell's fix.....

I corrected my video and re-uploaded to YT ... so Pryce/Price gets his due.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings