Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Holiday wishes: films you'd like to see on TCM in the new year

TopBilled

First, I hope everyone is having a nice, relaxing time this holiday season. 

I thought it would be fun to see which films people might like to see in the coming year.

Here are five classic films I'd love to see on TCM:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-12-24%2Bat%2B3.29.3

1. INVITATION TO HAPPINESS (1939). A great Paramount classic starring Irene Dunne & Fred MacMurray. Fred plays a prize fighter. I'd love to see a month-long retrospective on boxing films, actually!

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-12-24%2Bat%2B3.40.3

2. THE CAPTIVE HEART (1946). I think Michael Redgrave gives an awesome performance as a British soldier stuck in a concentration camp. It's must-see in every sense of the word.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-12-24%2Bat%2B3.41.2

3. THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (1943). Speaking of must-see, Claude Rains does a fantastic job as the Phantom in this glossy Technicolor remake. TCM has never aired it. It would be great if it was shown next Halloween (with Claude Rains as Star of the Month). Imagine this film with THE INVISIBLE MAN and THE WOLF MAN on the same evening.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-12-24%2Bat%2B3.32.3

4. THE CHEATERS (1945). Another holiday essential. TCM hasn't aired it since 2008. Perfect Christmastime viewing from Republic Pictures.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-12-24%2Bat%2B3.36.5

5. THE SUN SHINES BRIGHT (1953). John Ford called it his best film. A classic from Republic that people would appreciate seeing.

• Like 9

My knowledge of classic films "from those days of yesteryear", is not anywhere as vast as most people who post on this site, but I'll offer a few that I remember from my formative years that for some reason, just stuck with me.

Cry of the Banshee starring Vincent Price

Satan's School for Girls starring Pamela Franklin

Possessed! starring Joan Hackett and James Franciscas*

Silent Night, Lonely Night starring Shirley Jones and Lloyd Bridges

Home For the Holidays starring Eleanor Parker, Walter Brennan, Sally Field and Jessica Walter**

Summertree starring Brenda Vacarro and Michael Douglas

The Games starring Ryan O'Neal

*As an NFL referee would say:  "Upon Further Review"...the movie should be The Possessed, and while Joan Hackett was in it, she wasn't one of the leads in the cast.  James Franciscus WAS NOT in this movie, but James Farentino WAS!  It must be the similarity in names, but I always confuse Franciscus, Farentino, and Tony Franciosa with each other, even though they didn't look alike at all!

**In another thread, I erroneously put Karen Valentine as one of the players in this movie, when in fact, it was Jessica Walter who was in it.

• Like 1

Many years ago, TCM aired the silent The Hands Of Orloc (in the prime time slot, no less), and never showed it again. I would really like to see it again.Also, another Conrad Veidt silent, The Man who Laughs, which I don't believe has ever been shown?

• Like 1

Anything pre code, but I've never seen "Girls about Town" with Kay Francis.

girlsabttown_lc1adj.jpg

Believe it or not I'd also like to see Abbott and Costello (other than Buck Privates).  I know they probably don't hold up but I enjoyed watching them when I was a kid...

• Like 1

Anything pre code, but I've never seen "Girls about Town" with Kay Francis.

I'd never heard of this one. I figured it must be something she made at Paramount in the early days of her career. 

George Cukor is the director. And Frances Bavier (Aunt Bee from Mayberry) has a small part. Interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girls_About_Town_(film)

BEGGARS OF LIFE

THIS THING CALLED LOVE

LAW AND ORDER   [1932 ]

A HOUSE DIVIDED

REPEAT PERFORMANCE

BULLDOG DRUMMOND STRIKES BACK  [1934]

THE LAST GENTLEMAN

WILD GIRL

CORVETTE K-225

WHITE BANNERS

FROM THIS DAY FORWARD

THE ROYAL FAMILY OF BROADWAY

SIGN OF THE PAGAN

THE REMARKABLE ANDREW

DEAR RUTH

THE FOREST RANGERS

CRIME WITHOUT PASSION

BACK STREET  [1932]

THE SAVAGE INNOCENTS

TRUE TO LIFE

THE BISCUIT EATER

APPLAUSE

THE RUNAROUND

ONCE MORE, MY DARLING

THE MAN WHO RECLAIMED HIS HEAD

MISTER COREY

SIX BRIDGES TO CROSS

THE LIGHT THAT FAILED

FORBIDDEN  [1953]

THE WORLD IN HIS ARMS

• Like 2

Some Like It Hot (1959).

OK, as for movies that would likely be TCM Premieres, or that haven't been on in ages:

Schtonk!, a comedy about the Hitler diaries forgery.

The Unknown Soldier, a Finnish movie about the Continuation War with the Soviet Union

Puttin' on the Ritz

Just Imagine, a 1930 movie set in the distant future of... 1980

They'll never be able to clear up the rights for All This and World War Too, but it would fit for TCM Underground.

Cody1941 - I assume you mean the Helen Morgan APPLAUSE from 1929.  I would love for TCM to show that!  How about a double bill of Helen's APPLAUSE and the original THE LETTER with Jeanne Eagels, also from 1929 (which TCM has shown)?  Two early talkies starring great  but troubled actresses who were Oscar noms.  Heh, they could show them during 31 Days of Oscar!

• Like 1

I can only think of a few...

THE MAN WHO COULD WORK MIRACLES (1936)  w/Roland Young

Any or all of the WILLIE AND JOE movies with TOM EWELL and DAVID WAYNE then HARVEY LEMBECK.

Maybe, like TCM did a couple  of years ago with the TARZAN movies and also THE GREEN HORNET serials on Saturdays, they could do the same with THE ADVENTURES OF RED RYDER serial and show some people what started Ralphie of A CHRISTMAS STORY fame on  his Red Ryder BB gun craze !

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Maybe, like TCM did a couple  of years ago with the TARZAN movies and also THE GREEN HORNET serials on Saturdays, they could do the same with THE ADVENTURES OF RED RYDER serial and show some people what started Ralphie of A CHRISTMAS STORY fame on  his Red Ryder BB gun craze !

Sepiatone

Interesting idea. I believe the Red Ryder films were primarily produced at Republic (the Republic film catalogue is now controlled by Paramount), with a few later ones done at Eagle-Lion. The E-L titles are in the public domain so those could easily be shown, though the print quality is probably not too great.

I agree with TopBilled that The Sun Shines Bright should be shown. A great film -- though problematic. The scene where Stepin Fetchit stops Elzie Emanuel playing a Yankee tune and urges him to switch to playing "Dixie" is a unique and defining moment in Fetchit's career, i.e. what you have to do to survive. The Sun Shines Bright could be paired with Ford's earlier film on the same story: Judge Priest, which is inferior because Ford was not allowed to be as explicit as he was in the later film.

Other films I would like to see on TCM in the coming year include:

The Day of the Locust: The best film about the Golden Age of Hollywood, based on Nathanael West's novel. Great ensemble cast, featuring Donald Sutherland's best performance.

Peter Ibbetson: A Henry Hathaway masterpiece, called by Andre Breton "a triumph of surrealist thought." (Breton was the founder of surrealism, so he ought to know.)

The Trail of the Lonesome Pine: Another great Hathaway film, and the first outdoor Technicolor movie (1936).  It would be nice if it could be shown with the previous film adaptations of the book, of which there were at least four.

The Man in Half Moon Street: A rather touching 1945 film about a "mad" scientist (Nils Asther) who wants to live forever. Unfortunately he needs to kill for the human glands he needs to prolong his 120 years. Nevertheless, Helen Walker falls in love with him.

Napoleon (1927): Abel Gance's masterpiece. Seeing it on TCM won't be like seeing it at Radio City Music Hall with full orchestra, as I did in 1981, but it would still be impressive. One of the great films of all time. I prefer the film with the Coppola music adaptation to the Davis, but they're both great; and I think there's even more footage available now than there was in 1981.

• Like 1

I agree with TopBilled that The Sun Shines Bright should be shown. A great film -- though problematic. The scene where Stepin Fetchit stops Elzie Emanuel playing a Yankee tune and urges him to switch to playing "Dixie" is a unique and defining moment in Fetchit's career, i.e. what you have to do to survive. The Sun Shines Bright could be paired with Ford's earlier film on the same story: Judge Priest, which is inferior because Ford was not allowed to be as explicit as he was in the later film.

The Day of the Locust: The best film about the Golden Age of Hollywood, based on Nathanael West's novel. Great ensemble cast, featuring Donald Sutherland's best performance.

Wow; I saw this when it first came out (haven't seen it since but I would like to) and I also thought Sutherland was great and should have been nominated for an Oscar.  Yes, everyone is very good in this movie.

Part of the problem is that TCM has shown most of the American films from 1925 to 1959, and those it hasn't shown there's probably a good reason it hasn't done so far.  I don't know why TCM hasn't shown Peter Ibbetson:  it's on DVD as part of a Gary Cooper collection

@ Cody:  The Hands Of Orlac (1924) has been shown.  Oddly enough I didn't see it on my tables, but it is in my source data.  (Looks to be a rare data error on my part.)  I have recorded it myself on TCM.    Last shown on 2011-08 and 2012-09.

@ Topbilled: Rhythm Romance [some Like It Hot] (1939) only shown once 2008-07

@ Fedya: Just Imagine (1930) was shown at this past year's film fest near Tikisoo in NY.  I saved a pic from their website, taken at this festival, which shows the Just Imagine film cannisters having the Criterion name:

http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/Just%20Imagine%20CapitolFest.jpg

Not sure exactly what it is they might have there, or if there might be any plans to restore it, or maybe even just release as-is (if what they have there is indeed in good enough condition to be shown in theaters).  This is the second time in a few years that I have noticed it floating around at film festivals.  As usual, this is on my wish list.

@ Sepiatone: The Man Who Could Work Miracles (1936) - How about 11:00 PM tonight, is that good enough for you?

@ Swithin: Napolean (1927) - according to my data, it was shown three times in 2002, hey at least it has happened before.

Sorry Cody I didn't have enough time to go through your big list.

• Like 1

"The Mysterious Island" (1929).

"The Desert Song" (1929).

"The Great Gabbo" (1929)--Ventriloquist Erich von Stroheim slowly goes crazy, in a musical.

"Madame Satan" (1930)--A Cecil B. DeMille musical/romantic comedy/disaster film.

"Down to Their Last Yacht" (1934)--A Pre-Code musical oddity--a clip of "South Sea Bolero" is on YT.

"Four Frightened People" (1934)--Pre-Code C.B. DeMille.

"She" (1935)--The Helen Gahagan/Randolph Scott version is hilarious. 

• Like 1

Here are some films I'd like to see on TCM for 2017.  I chose comedies.

Battle Of The Century (1927) - Laurel & Hardy film where only snippets previously existed but the entire second reel was found this year. The film is now almost complete with just a few minutes missing. TCM has played the previous print of this, so if they played the more complete version, I guess it could be considered a semi-world premiere.

Limousine Love (1928) - Another classic silent featuring the underrated Charley Chase, and one of my favorites.  The situation is this: "On the way to his wedding the bride groom finds a nude, married woman in his car".  Talk about complications!

You're Telling Me! (1934) - TCM usually plays the W.C. Fields films, It's A Gift and The Bank Dick, which of course are great films, but I'd like to see them dig deeper into his catalog.  I had many candidates to list, but I chose this one which has a good storyline and lots of laughs.  The climax of the film is Fields' famous golf routine.

Populaire (2012) - I felt this French film was to 1950's romantic comedies what The Artist was to silent films (It even has Bérénice Bejo in the cast), and it is quite a charmer.  If you can imagine Rock Hudson and Doris Day in a French R-Rated film, you might enjoy this too.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings