Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Dolly Sisters - Xmas content?

BingFan

Is there any Christmas content in THE DOLLY SISTERS, which is being shown tonight as part of TCM's Christmas Eve programming?

Even without a holiday connection, it may be a good movie, but I'm just wondering if I should record it to add to our collection of Christmas movies.

There are 36 plot keywords for this film on the IMDb. None of them involve Christmas:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037651/keywords?ref_=tt_stry_kw

Thanks for the reply, TopBilled. What I've seen in the TCM and Wiki articles on THE DOLLY SISTERS confirms your keyword research. The plot summaries there don't mention Christmas.

The film appears to be part of the S.Z. Sakall theme for the evening. While the other two Sakall films have significant Christmas content (CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT; IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME), THE DOLLY SISTERS seems to have been chosen by Bob as just a generally entertaining movie. I recall other years when he chose some good films for Christmas Eve that were sans holiday plot points, and they worked out just fine. (I just wish Bob were hosting!)

Thanks again!

• Like 3

Thanks for the reply, TopBilled. What I've seen in the TCM and Wiki articles on THE DOLLY SISTERS confirms your keyword research. The plot summaries there don't mention Christmas.

The film appears to be part of the S.Z. Sakall theme for the evening. While the other two Sakall films have significant Christmas content (CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT; IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME), THE DOLLY SISTERS seems to have been chosen by Bob as just a generally entertaining movie. I recall other years when he chose some good films for Christmas Eve that were sans holiday plot points, and they worked out just fine. (I just wish Bob were hosting!)

Thanks again!

You're welcome. I think Bob is a Betty Grable fan. He's chosen some of her other films before.

• Like 1

I hate this film - it couldn't be further from the truth and has some really BAD production numbers.

Wasn't June Haver being groomed as a replacement for Betty Grable?

Yes, I think June Haver was there to take the scripts Betty Grable refused to do. This was the only time they costarred. Haver did her share of musicals until 1953, and her movie career ended around the same time that Grable's did (but for different reasons). Interestingly, Haver only made one film in black-and-white, so she is associated with Technicolor more than most musical stars. 

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings