Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Singer George Michael (1963-2016)

jakeem

The Grammy Award-winning singer George Michael has died at the age of 53, according to his publicist.

The British performer rose to fame in the early 1980s as a member of the pop music duo Wham! (with longtime pal Andrew Ridgeley). After Michael became a solo act, his 1987 album "Faith" sold more than 20 million copies worldwide. It went on to win the Grammy for Album of the Year for 1988-89. 

1072109-george-michael-617-409.jpg

Michael's death on Christmas Day makes him the latest singer known for a popular holiday song or album to pass away on December 25th. The others: Dean Martin (in 1995), James Brown (in 2006) and Eartha Kitt (in 2008).

The 1984 Wham! song "Last Christmas," written and co-produced by Michael, has become a Yuletide favorite.

Also in 1984, Michael joined Band Aid -- a special coalition of mostly British performing artists organized to help combat famine in Ethiopia. The supergroup's song "Do They Know It's Christmas?" became a worldwide best seller and helped raise millions for African relief. 

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/george-michael-dead-at-53-w457753

• Like 4

George Michael was truly a tremendous singer, composer and record producer. But I think what his fans really liked the most about him were his live performances and videos.

George's idol was Freddie Mercury. And just like Freddie he was the consummate

-- totally all in your face performer-- all out there performer--singing and dancing.

I suppose George had more personal difficulties than the average performer. He was often the butt of jokes from comedians like Jay Leno, Dana Carvey and others, who liked to make fun of his personal difficulties.

He even came in for severe criticism from some black artists who said he had no right to compete in the R&B categories for the Grammy Awards.

Another issue for George was legal problems with his record company.

In spite of all that George had a tremendously strong and international fan base. He sold over a hundred million records. His fans never wavered in their support of him despite the critical hounding he got repeatedly from the media.

George Michael was truly a Solo Superstar Singer/recording artist, who was not afraid to chart his own path in life professionally and personally.

• Like 2

Michael had two noteworthy songs titled "Freedom." The first, released in 1984, was the second No. 1 hit for Wham! in the United Kingdom (the first was "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go").  

The music video for "Freedom" featured footage shot during the British duo's tour of China in April 1985. Wham! became the first Western artists to perform in the Communist nation.

As a solo act, Michael recorded "Freedom '90," which became a sensation because of its music video. Directed by David Fincher, now a major filmmaker, it featured appearances by lip-synching supermodels Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell, Christy Turlington, Linda Evangelista and Tatjana Patitz.

needless to say "My Royal Italian Madjesty" MADONNA is again upset

It seems everyone of her contemporaries is passing away around her

Though David Bowie-(her all-timer) was quite a bit older

SHE'S JUST TOO TOUGH & OFTEN MEAN TO DIE!!!

Never cared for him "music-wise" but it disturbed me nonetheless.

Especially ON the holiday, it must have been devastating to his family and friends.  Never heard anything about any health issues connected to him so it WAS quite a shack.

AND at such a relatively young age.

Rest in peace Mr. Michaels

Sepiatone

I liked when he recorded "I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me)" with Aretha Franklin.

In addition to his Grammy Award-winning duet with the Queen of Soul that went to No. 1 in 1987...

...Michael memorably teamed up with Elton John for this live 1991 cover of a John classic. It, too, was a No. 1 hit.

• Like 3

I'm sure NOT however, going to EVER miss that WHAM! video with him wearing those ridiculous pink short-shorts and doing the "Soupy Shuffle" singing "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go".  :rolleyes:

Hey, that was the feel-good song and video of 1984!

HfQuw.jpg

• Like 1

Yesterday I saw some red carpet photos of George Michael where he looked very thin, as if he may be battling cancer or some other wasting disease. But then a few moments ago I saw some paparazzi pics taken back in September, and apparently Michael had gained a massive amount of weight, which was one reason he had become so reclusive. The cause of death may still end up being drug-related or from a previously undisclosed long-term illness, but looking at that weight fluctuation, he may have just worn out his heart prematurely. 

The year started with the death of Bowie, and is ending with George Michael's death. Many tragic deaths in between. Sounds like a good time for someone to update that 70s song, "If There's A Rock and Roll Heaven". "Last Christmas"'s title takes on a chilly ironic meaning. So sad.

A friend of mine pointed out just now -

George Michael

Whitney Houston

Prince

Michael Jackson

All 1980s icons that died in their 50s.

Usually with Rock and Roll It has something to do with drugs and alcohol or alcohol and drugs-- or the hazards of a fast lifestyle, Health Hampered by drugs for gaining weight and losing weight or assassination.

Actually the eighties generation of rockers did a lot better than my generation of recording artists-- all dead before they ever reached 50:

John Lennon

Marvin Gaye

Jimi Hendrix

Brian Jones-- The Stones

Janis Joplin

Mama Cass

Dennis Wilson-- The Beach Boys

Keith Moon-- The Who

John Bonham-- Led Zeppelin

And four of our very best artists-- died before their time due to cancer-related issues:

George Harrison-- (a death No Doubt hastened by an assassination attempt)

Maurice Gibb-- The Bee Gees

Robin Gibb--"

Carl Wilson-- The Beach Boys

True, Princess... add Jim Morrison to your list, too. Like Whitney Houston, he was also found dead in a bathtub (though he was 27, and had heart failure rather than having drowned).

I don't know how I left off Jim Morrison. Ironically His is the only grave site, of those listed, that I've ever visited-- in a very large, historical cemetery in Paris.

People magazine has reported that George Michael had been battling a severe heroin addiction for the past several years, with multiple incidents of him being rushed to the ER in the months leading up to his death.

So it was drugs again, like all of the other listed 80's stars who've died.

People magazine has reported that George Michael had been battling a severe heroin addiction for the past several years, with multiple incidents of him being rushed to the ER in the months leading up to his death.

Heroin-induced apnea deaths are an increasing problem in our region, especially among millenials.  The deaths are escalated by the street-drug inclusion of unknown amounts of fentanyl, and even carfentanyl (an elephant tranquilizer).

Below is a comparison showing a lethal dose of Heroin on the left, and a lethal dose of Fentanyl on the right.

https://www.statnews.com/2016/09/29/fentanyl-heroin-photo-fatal-doses/

Heroin-Fentanyl-vials-NHSPFL.jpg

• Like 2

Not a favorite of mine, but Wham's "Everything She Wants" is a great song.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings