Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The opposite of the *Oscars. The Golden Razzie Awards Winners to date

spence

I hoped this would be fun & different, especially given the now far too-many annual *Pre-Oscar Film Awards.

These date back to 1980 I was a bit surprised at that.  But first & firemost to you fellow fans of NATALIE WOOD.

Who recalls seeing footage-(B & W) of her being thee first person ever to personally accept "Harvard Lampoon's Worst actress of the Year" (around 1964 or so)?

She wasn't only the most beautiful woman I've yet to lay eyes on, but had a great soul as well!

Winners of Best Film only for the annual Golden Razberry awards-("Razzie's)

Only it's top prize is listed here, but it has a fairly ok site to see all the rest (not certain of how many voting members there are though?)>

1980 "Can't Stop the Music'

1981 "Mommie Dearest"

1982 "Inchon"

1983 "The Lonely Lady"-

1984 "Bolero"

1985 "Rambo: First Blood, Part 11"-(don't agree?)

1986 "Howard the Duck'

1987 "Leonard, part 6"

1988 "Cocktail"

1989 "Star Trek: The Final Frontier" (WHAT, I thought it was mediocre (**) but "the burbs")

1990 (tie) "Adventures of Foird Fairlane" & "Ghosts Can't do It"

1991 "Hudson Hawk"

1992 "Shining Through"

1993 "Indecent Proposal"-(ANOTHER SPLIT (**)

1994 "Color of Night"

1995 "Showgirls'-(P.S. at least it was more fun & sexy then Demi Moore's '96 "Striptease")

1996 "An Alan Smithee Film"

1997 "The Postman"-(not to be confused with "Il Postino")-(P.S. Surprised they didn't vote for MADONNA's awful, but never boring "Who's that Girl?")

1998 "

1999 "Wild Wild West"

2000 "Battlefield Earth"

2001 "Freddy Got Fingered"

2002 "Swept Away" (MADONNA'S fiasco) :angry:

2003 "Freddy Got Fingered"

2004 "Catwoman"

2005 "Dirty Love"

2006 "Basin Instinct 2"

2007 "I Know Who killed Me"

2008 "The Love"

2009 "Guru"

2010 "Transformers"

2011 "The Last Airbender"

2012 "Jack & Jill"

2013 "Twilight-saga 2"

2014 "Move 43"

2015 (tie) "Fantastic four" and "Fifty Shades of Grey"

2016  ?

:wub:

Yes, ladies and gentlemen:  It was "Can't Stop the Music" that (deservedly) won the first 1980 Worst Picture Razzie.  NOT "Xanadu".

Go out on the street and see how many people have rather wishfully gotten this simple fact wrong for thirty-six years.

(The two still get unfairly confused, due to opening within a month of each other, not to mention distributors doing occasional revival double-features, back when such things were still common during slow theater seasons.)

Of course, as, ahem, some here will attest, the whole "Schoolyard" kitsch-bashing of Best Worst Movies and studio flops tends to attract a certain demographic audience that laughs the loudest, and the idea of any "disco" musical falling on its face was pure schoolyard gold, even if you weren't too nitpicking about which one it was.

• 1 month later...

The Razzies were never anything to be taken seriously. But I have to say that this year's choices are disappointing, even though I'm doing something I loathe and discussing the merits of movies that I haven't even seen.

As far as I recall, the Razzies have never been very political, so their choice of Dinesh D'Souza's latest wingnut "documentary", Hillary's America, seems like an odd choice. I'm sure it's awful, but so were his other movies, and they're fringe movies at best, and not exactly the mainstream movieplex type movies usually within the Razzies' crosshairs. This choice is obviously a political one, and I personally don't think that's the direction they should take. Not everything has to be about taking a political stance.

The other big "winner" this year was Batman v Superman: Blah Blah Blah. I still haven't seen it, and many people have expressed dissatisfaction, but I have also read just as many people who didn't hate the movie, and even many who liked it. On the other hand, I have seen the also nominated Gods of Egypt and that was a steaming pile of [fill in the blank] that no one seems to have enjoyed. It didn't have the hype machine behind it that BvS did, though, and that may be the explanation.

• Like 2

As far as I recall, the Razzies have never been very political, so their choice of Dinesh D'Souza's latest wingnut "documentary", Hillary's America, seems like an odd choice. I'm sure it's awful, but so were his other movies, and they're fringe movies at best, and not exactly the mainstream movieplex type movies usually within the Razzies' crosshairs. This choice is obviously a political one, and I personally don't think that's the direction they should take. Not everything has to be about taking a political stance.

It's clearly an anti-Trump stance, but if you've ever seen any of Dinesh D'Souza's other Fox News-kissup "documentaries", one had to win sometime.

They don't have a Worst Documentary category, and I can't recall whether David Zucker's "An American Carol" ever made the nomination cut.  (Kept thinking it did, in '08-'09, but IMDb won't bear me out.)

Besides, at this point, more Batman v. Superman jokes would be like tripping a midget--The last remaining defenders have gone into hiding, and while giving Zack Snyder a Worst Director would be closure, that would mean denying one to D'Souza.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings