Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Has anybody bought any of the TCM wines as yet???

spence

For us "TCM-ITE'S" you can't miss the adds for the fauirly new "TCM Wine Club"-(they even sent me a separate brochure)

But, has anyone purchased any yet?

If I were to get just 1 as another prime pc of memorabilia it would be the *Orson Welles :rolleyes:

For us "TCM-ITE'S" you can't miss the adds for the fauirly new "TCM Wine Club"-(they even sent me a separate brochure)

But, has anyone purchased any yet?

If I were to get just 1 as another prime pc of memorabilia it would be the *Orson Welles :rolleyes:

I would never buy their wine because of their incessant whining about the product. Plus the misuse of Eddie Mueller, who should be a guest host, is unforgivable.

• Like 2

My friend had press credentials at the TCM Film Festival in April (March?) and in her goodie bag she got a bottle of red. Not sure which winery it came from but she said it wasn't very good.

My knowledge of wines is absolutely nil, but any bottle of wine that shows up in a goody bag couldn't be of much vintage.

I would never buy their wine because of their incessant whining about the product. Plus the misuse of Eddie Mueller, who should be a guest host, is unforgivable.

I too am disappointed that Eddie is shilling the Wine Club, it quite takes away from his status as a movie guru.  As to the incessant whinging that gets on my nerves and now they are pushing catalogue items such as sweat shirts and coffee mugs and charging you $6.95 for the privilege of ordering a catalogue. 

Any Orson Wells wine should be sold in a box...and as to Hitchcock's wine, I think he much preferred the harder versions of alcohol.  Anyway there is no way I would be able to finish 12 bottles of wine in a year yet every three months. Wine clubs are for toffs and would be toffs.

Let's face it, TCM will not be able to support itself selling odds and ends...so should concentrate on what it is good at...focusing on classic films.

• Like 3

This is an interesting thread. But nobody has come forward yet and said they've bought (and enjoyed) any of the wine. Why is that?

TB: most likely the negative posts on the Wine Club are keeping the buyers silent...they may not want to be identified as toffs.

Poor TCM Wine Club; seems like everybody hates it but nobody has tried it.  I said before that if I could afford it, I would join.  Wine is supposed to be fun.  Looking at the wine producers they've lined up, these seem to be pretty decent wines.  Maybe they are misusing Eddie; I loved him as the film noir host.  But I'm sure he's getting paid and, heh, maybe he likes wine (since he's a film noir expert, I tend to think of him as a spirits man myself).

Don't mean to sound stupid but what is a "toff"?  Is it someone who likes wine or other alcohol beverages too much?  Is it another term for wine snob?  As I said before, I don't like wine snobs either.  Wine should be enjoyed and drink what you like, or don't.

Maybe we're just getting sick of the commercials.  I've seen only two - one with Ben and one with Eddie - and they play those a lot.  If TCM is going to promote the heck out of the wine club, make some new commercials and put the emphasis on that these are quality wines and you will like them (I do like the idea of suggested food pairings as wine plus food is always a good idea and increases enjoyment of both) plus you can tell TCM what not to send you, e.g. no white wines or whatever.  Finally, if you do hate it, quit the club!

Just wanted to add that if I ever do join the club, I will dutifully report my findings and be honest.

• Like 1

Nope, can't say I've joined the wine club, either.

Now, I have to admit that THIS is most likely because many years ago I developed a taste for only one varietal of it, and it's all thanks to Mr. Mason here who so successfully sold me in his usual oh so sophisticated manner on the, as he called it, "unusual" flavor to be savored while imbibing the following...

(...yep, once you go "unusual", nothing else will do-usual, ya know)

Don't mean to sound stupid but what is a "toff"?  Is it someone who likes wine or other alcohol beverages too much?  Is it another term for wine snob?  As I said before, I don't like wine snobs either.  Wine should be enjoyed and drink what you like, or don't.

A toff is British slang and derogatory term for the upper class or upper class wannabees.  It has two sources of etymology; either the golden tufts sported by Oxford graduates or an Anglo-Saxon word for "superior".  Whichever it was very much a common use word among the lower class British in the 19th and up to the mid 20th century.

• Like 2

A toff is British slang and derogatory term for the upper class or upper class wannabees.  It has two sources of etymology; either the golden tufts sported by Oxford graduates or an Anglo-Saxon word for "superior".  Whichever it was very much a common use word among the lower class British in the 19th and up to the mid 20th century.

the guy on wine ads named eddie looks like actor in movie a Chirstmas carol dont he? alstair somthing.

Poor TCM Wine Club; seems like everybody hates it but nobody has tried it.  I said before that if I could afford it, I would join.  Wine is supposed to be fun.  Looking at the wine producers they've lined up, these seem to be pretty decent wines.  Maybe they are misusing Eddie; I loved him as the film noir host.  But I'm sure he's getting paid and, heh, maybe he likes wine (since he's a film noir expert, I tend to think of him as a spirits man myself).

Maybe we're just getting sick of the commercials.  I've seen only two - one with Ben and one with Eddie - and they play those a lot.  If TCM is going to promote the heck out of the wine club, make some new commercials and put the emphasis on that these are quality wines and you will like them (I do like the idea of suggested food pairings as wine plus food is always a good idea and increases enjoyment of both) plus you can tell TCM what not to send you, e.g. no white wines or whatever.  Finally, if you do hate it, quit the club!

Just wanted to add that if I ever do join the club, I will dutifully report my findings and be honest.

It seems Eddie does enjoy his time spent at TCM.  I liked him as the film noir host too.  Anyway I'm not complaining about him making wine commercials as that means they are at least keeping him in the wings at TCM.

It seems Eddie does enjoy his time spent at TCM.  I liked him as the film noir host too.  Anyway I'm not complaining about him making wine commercials as that means they are at least keeping him in the wings at TCM.

is that him? somone jus told me actor eddie look like is alistair sim.

• 10 months later...

HEY! Boy am I ever glad somebody revived this thread, 'cause I just received my latest selection of wines from TCM!

And so I wanna tell you folks that bottle of Kay Francis Wiesling, ahem, RIESLING, wasn't half bad!

Of course then again, it wasn't half good either.

(...yeah yeah, I know...and kind'a like this joke)

• Like 1

On 12/27/2016 at 11:14 AM, Emily Dean said:

I too am disappointed that Eddie is shilling the Wine Club, it quite takes away from his status as a movie guru.  As to the incessant whinging that gets on my nerves and now they are pushing catalogue items such as sweat shirts and coffee mugs and charging you $6.95 for the privilege of ordering a catalogue. 

Any Orson Wells wine should be sold in a box...and as to Hitchcock's wine, I think he much preferred the harder versions of alcohol.  Anyway there is no way I would be able to finish 12 bottles of wine in a year yet every three months. Wine clubs are for toffs and would be toffs.

Let's face it, TCM will not be able to support itself selling odds and ends...so should concentrate on what it is good at...focusing on classic films.

Interesting thought, but how are they going to make money off "classic films" if they are "free" on cable/sat and their catalogs, DVD's, etc. cost too much?

As for the wine, never tried and never will.  If I cannot find it in my local grocery or beverage store, I'm not buying it.  Based on the ads, it is far too expensive for me anyway.

24 minutes ago, TheCid said:

As for the wine, never tried and never will.  If I cannot find it in my local grocery or beverage store, I'm not buying it.  Based on the ads, it is far too expensive for me anyway.

xSKOL-dog.img_assist_custom.jpg.pagespee

"Tell you what. Get me a couple of king-size bottles of Skol, and you can have my Orson Welles Grape-of-the-TCM-Valley."

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Interesting thought, but how are they going to make money off "classic films" if they are "free" on cable/sat and their catalogs, DVD's, etc. cost too much?

Hey Cid! Boy are you ever in luck here, dude.

Ya see, I've heard through the grapevine(no pun intended here...although now that I think about it...) that any TCM message board member who has submitted a minimum of 5,000 posts around here will get 40% off, YEAH, a whole 40% off of each bottle they order!

(...I understand though that this offer isn't valid for or offered to any Back Lot members, as TCM believes THOSE folks already have a sufficient amount of discretionary income available to them)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings