Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Concert films.

slaytonf

A combination of two of the most popular entertainments, movies and music.  I was thinking of 'Best concert films,' but I thought not so good ones might have something worth talking about.  I look for intensity of performance, direction that captures the energy of the musicians, and what they do with the song in the live version.  A starter list for me:

Woodstock (1970).  Naturally.

Let the Good Times Roll (1973).  Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Chubby Checker, Bill Haley and the Comets, Bo Didley.

Chuck Berry--Hail! Hail! Rock and Roll (1987).  Chuck Berry, Linda Ronstadt, Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, Robert Cray, Etta James.

Filmore (1972).  Santana, The Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Hot Tuna, Cold Blood, Quicksilver Messenger Service, It's a Beautiful Day, Lamb, The Evan Bishop Group, New Riders of the Purple Sage.  Gives some sense of the the San Francisco/hippie scene of the time.

Monterey Pop (1968).  Scott McKenzie, Mamas and the Papas, Canned Heat, Simon and Garfunkel, Hugh Masekela, Jefferson Airplane, Big Brother and the Holding Company, The Animals, The Who, Country Joe and the Fish, Booker T. and the M. G.s, Jimi Hendrix, Otis Redding, Ravi Shankar.  Janis and Jimi only have one song each, but they rule.  Ravi Shankar knocks 'em out.

• Like 1

Since your "starter list" is similar to mine, I'll just add:

THE CONCERT FOR BANGLADESH Goerge Harrison, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan and others joining in

THE LAST WALTZ--The Band, Neil Young, Neil Diamond, Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, Joni Mitchell, Muddy Waters and Paul Butterfield

THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME--Led Zeppelin  concert/documentary

GIMME SHELTER--The Stones'  Altmont free concert fiasco

And I GOTTA include--

RICHARD PRYOR : LIVE IN CONCERT

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings