Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Carrie Fisher is gone

LornaHansonForbes

During a tribute to her mom that Carrie Fisher made for TCM in 2014 as part of their "Star of the Month" salute to Debbie Reynolds, Carrie talked about how her mother was so high energy and hard working that she made THREE movies while pregnant with her. To drive the point home she showed Debbie in the dance contest scene from "Bundle of Joy". As Debbie is dancing up a storm and getting tossed around like a rag doll, Carrie says "Hello-That's ME in there!"

That scene served as a wonderful visual metaphor, since Carrie kept on bouncing once she came out of that lively womb.
She acted, she partied, she cried, she wrote, she partied and cried some more, wrote some more. She knew she had more to offer than simply being Princess Leia, a chick with cinnabon hair in a gold bikini chained to a giant slug. And she put herself out there- for better and for worse.

I wish we had more time with her.

RIP Carrie. Damn.

• Like 9

This SUCKS

I totally agree.  Just one more reason why 2016 has been a really, really bad year.  I wanted to hope she would recover but I kept thinking that all of those vague hospital reports meant she was not going to bounce back from this attack.  Carrie Fisher's Princess Leia gave little girls in the 1970's and 1980's an amazingly strong, funny, smart, a--- kicking role model which they really needed.  She had a lot more to say and do.  It's a horrible tragedy that she's gone.

• Like 1

I totally agree. Just one more reason why 2016 has been a really, really bad year. I wanted to hope she would recover but I kept thinking that all of those vague hospital reports meant she was not going to bounce back from this attack. Carrie Fisher's Princess Leia gave little girls in the 1970's and 1980's an amazingly strong, funny, smart, a--- kicking role model which they really needed. She had a lot more to say and do. It's a horrible tragedy that she's gone.

AMEN.

Across the board, AMEN

• Like 1

Unlike Nipkow's obsession with the Corniest Straw-Man Fan-Bashing 80's Joke in the World, I had more respect for Fisher than she had for the fans.

Lucas originally wanted to use Cindy Williams as the Princess, fresh off of her Coppola discovery in The Conversation, but Carrie's princess had just the right bite to live up to "The Hidden Fortress"'s Princess Yuki.

I wanted to talk about Fisher's "other roles", but I'd forgotten she was in Blues Brothers, and of the many things wrong with "Under the Rainbow", she was not one.  Doesn't really hold up much of a tribute, unless you want to get into the Snarky Drug Years.

Favorite story is that Peter Cushing said he was so charmed at the time, he just couldn't stop cracking a smile, even when General Tarkin was interrogating her about the Rebel location.

Testament to Cushing that when you see him start to lose that battle against the smile again ("Charming to the last..."), I'd thought it was supposed to be in character.

• Like 1

I have a soft spot in my heart for the TV movie, "Leave Yesterday Behind", with John Ritter and Carrie Fisher.  Ritter plays a man injured in a polo accident who stays on his grandfather's farm, and Carrie is the woman he meets who helps him overcome his bitterness at being paralyzed, and they fall in love.  Moving performances from both leads.  Sadly forgotten today.

aempw2.jpg

• Like 3

I have a soft spot in my heart for the TV movie, "Leave Yesterday Behind", with John Ritter and Carrie Fisher.  Ritter plays a man injured in a polo accident who stays on his grandfather's farm, and Carrie is the woman he meets who helps him overcome his bitterness at being paralyzed, and they fall in love.  Moving performances from both leads.  Sadly forgotten today.

aempw2.jpg

They are selling this film on DVD on Amazon as part of a six pack of movies. If you want one, get it before the scalpers find out!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ADQDTU4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 3

2016, down to the bitter end, has taken so many stars, in the movie, music, comic and sports worlds, never mind in other areas. Many of these were way too young! The year can't end soon enough for me.

Hopefully, TCM can amend (again) it's year end tribute film So sad. RIP beautiful lady.

• Like 5

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings