Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Warner Archive Streaming

molo14

Hi all,

I registered for the free 30 day trial over at the Warner Archive site. I have most of the movies but was interested in the TV shows.

Does anyone else use this site? So far I haven't been able to watch anything. I just wanted to view them on my PC desktop. I contacted support but I received a canned response that it was me not them. I'm not so sure that is the case. I stream netflix and amazon fine.

I was curious if anyone else had this issue and had any suggestions.

Think Warner Archive was somehow Micro-suckered into using Silverlight for its streaming presentation, which is why it hasn't developed set-top apps for more than just the Roku yet.

It's a big obstacle to watching on desktop if you don't have (or want) it installed, but that could be what they're referring to.  Always had better luck watching WIA on a tablet, which is always comfier than a desktop station.  (Can't watch a desktop in bed.)

I have the same problem in that most of the actual old movies I already saw on Warner DVD boxsets back when they still cared enough to make non-Archive boxsets (Val Lewton, Fred & Ginger, Mickey & Judy, etc.), and the collection stagnated a year or so ago.

I wondered whether it was just the question of streaming rights, that TV-movies and B-pictures have a little less copyright, and can be shown just like the PD content on every other streaming channel, but then a few recently Archive-Blu'ed movies, like Jumbo, will show up as well.  Hard to tell what you'll get.

EricJ,

Thanks for your response. I don't know much about apps really. I'm not even sure exactly what Roku is. I'll google it. I did some trial and error and was able to get the site working in chrome, so that works well enough for me.

The film collection does seem rather limited but I think I will enjoy the old television shows.

I appreciate your input on this.

Think Warner Archive was somehow Micro-suckered into using Silverlight for its streaming presentation, which is why it hasn't developed set-top apps for more than just the Roku yet.

It's a big obstacle to watching on desktop if you don't have (or want) it installed, but that could be what they're referring to.  Always had better luck watching WIA on a tablet, which is always comfier than a desktop station.  (Can't watch a desktop in bed.)

I have the same problem in that most of the actual old movies I already saw on Warner DVD boxsets back when they still cared enough to make non-Archive boxsets (Val Lewton, Fred & Ginger, Mickey & Judy, etc.), and the collection stagnated a year or so ago.

I wondered whether it was just the question of streaming rights, that TV-movies and B-pictures have a little less copyright, and can be shown just like the PD content on every other streaming channel, but then a few recently Archive-Blu'ed movies, like Jumbo, will show up as well.  Hard to tell what you'll get.

LOL  Silverlight?  Really??  I though M$ put an end to that.

P.S. I don't watch movies with streaming services yet, but found this easy work-around, from a couple years ago, for Linux PC users - which may or may not have changed since then.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/easily-enable-silverlight-watch-netflix-linux/

Thanks for your response. I don't know much about apps really. I'm not even sure exactly what Roku is. I'll google it. I did some trial and error and was able to get the site working in chrome, so that works well enough for me.

Roku, while not the best set-top box, is probably the cheapest and most service-accessible Internet-streaming box you can hook up to watch Netflix and Hulu on your living-room set.

(AppleTV is better, if you don't mind having to get your VOD movies from iTunes.)

Pretty sure they get WIA, whereas most other boxes/game consoles don't.

Never used one, since I always had my loyal PS3 console for cutting the cable cord.

moviecollector OH

LOL  Silverlight?  Really??  I though M$ put an end to that.

WIA completely redesigned their site this year, so dropping M$'s old folly may have been part of it--I don't know, I hadn't gotten back on since the new revamp.

Still, when the company says "It's you, not us", it's usually a browser/extension compatibility issue.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings