Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

George S. Irving 1922-2016

Swithin

George S. Irving died yesterday, in Manhattan. A dear, sweet man, whom I knew and worked with, his credits read like a history of the Broadway theater. He was one of only two surviving members of the original cast of Oklahoma! (Bambi Linn is now the only surviving cast member from that original 1943 production). George was also in Two's Company, Bette Davis's only Broadway musical (1952).

George was married to dancer/actress Maria Karnilova, who created the roles of Tessie Tura (Gypsy) and Golde (Fidller on the Roof) on stage.

George was in relatively few films but, in addition to his stage roles, he appeared quite often on television. The last time I saw him, he was waiting in front of his building, to be picked up by his daughter, whom he was going to visit in the country. He was a loving man with a loving family. We had a nice chat while he was waiting. I'll miss him.

http://www.theatermania.com/broadway/news/george-s-irving-obituary_79523.html

Here's George singing a song from the original Broadway production (1949) of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes:

• Like 2

George S. Irving died yesterday, in Manhattan. A dear, sweet man, whom I knew and worked with, his credits read like a history of the Broadway theater. He was one of only two surviving members of the original cast of Oklahoma! (Bambi Lynn is now the only surviving cast member from that original 1943 production). George was also in Two's Company, Bette Davis's only Broadway musical (1952).

George was married to dancer/actress Maria Karnilova, who created the roles of Tessie Tura (Gypsy) and Golde (Fidller on the Roof) on stage.

Thanks for the information about the passing of a durable performer! I had no idea that he was the voice of The Heat Miser in the perennial holiday special "The Year Without a Santa Claus."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/george-s-irving-dead-veteran-broadway-voice-actor-was-94-959645

And wasn't he the Narrator on UNDERDOG?

He was indeed! He also provided voices for several characters.

When I was younger, I was always amazed by how much Lionel Barrymore's Mr. Potter sounded a lot like Underdog's foe, Simon Bar Sinister!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings