Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2016 - It's Been A Terrible Year For Celebrity Deaths

TomJH

And now Carrie Fisher. I feel so bad for what Debbie Reynolds is going through right now.

It's been a ghastly year with the loss of so many who have brought so much pleasure and joy to us over the years.

For myself, though, 2016 will be remembered as the year in which Muhammad Ali died. Perhaps it was a mercy for him, at that, with the terrible progression of his parkinson's, robbing his body of the grace and strength that had once made him such a remarkable athlete.

But it also gradually stilled his ability to speak, surely just as great a tragedy. The world lost out on having a remarkable good will ambassador of peace with that disease that took over his body. Even then, though, Ali successfully got those American hostages out of Iraq after speaking to Saddam in 1990.

It's my understanding that Ali was very philosophical about his disease, saying that it was Allah's way of testing him. And he never lost his courage or pride because of it. Do you remember him with shaking arms lighting the cauldron with the Olympic torch in 1996? That's an inspirational moment that many of us, with tears in our eyes, no doubt, will never forget.

That was Ali's "I'm a proud Olympian and no disease is going to stop me from telling it to the world" moment. How his fearless performance that day must have inspired so many others wracked by a disease to continue to fight, just as Ali never stopped doing.

Goodbye, Muhammad. There will never be another one like you, but you will have inspired so many others to try to emulate you, if only in some small way. That, too, will be a part of your legacy.

225121_crop_exact.jpg?w=1500&h=1500&q=85

• Like 4

Once I've heard Carrie had the massive heart attack, had a bad feeling about her.  Didn't want to post anything negative on the other thread.

Were hoping for the best but expected the worst.

Her death has raised the awareness of women's heart disease.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/12/27/womens-heart-disease/95881126/

Caused of the heart attack are not known at the present but one need to look at her life style.  She may be another casualty of substance abuse.  Thinking back to the death of Philip Seymour Hoffman, another actor died too soon. :(

RIP

_75088996_75088991.jpg

And now Carrie Fisher. I feel so bad for what Debbie Reynolds is going through right now.

It's been a ghastly year with the loss of so many who have brought so much pleasure and joy to us over the years.

For myself, though, 2016 will be remembered as the year in which Muhammad Ali died. Perhaps it was a mercy for him, at that, with the terrible progression of his parkinson's, robbing his body of the grace and strength that had once made him such a remarkable athlete.

But it also gradually stilled his ability to speak, surely just as great a tragedy. The world lost out on having a remarkable good will ambassador of peace with that disease that took over his body. Even then, though, Ali successfully got those American hostages out of Iraq after speaking to Saddam in 1990.

It's my understanding that Ali was very philosophical about his disease, saying that it was Allah's way of testing him. And he never lost his courage or pride because of it. Do you remember him with shaking arms lighting the cauldron with the Olympic torch in 1996? That's an inspirational moment that many of us, with tears in our eyes, no doubt, will never forget.

That was Ali's "I'm a proud Olympian and no disease is going to stop me from telling it to the world" moment. How his fearless performance that day must have inspired so many others wracked by a disease to continue to fight, just as Ali never stopped doing.

Goodbye, Muhammad. There will never be another one like you, but you will have inspired so many others to try to emulate you, if only in some small way. That, too, will be a part of your legacy.

Don't know if you've heard this, but Howard Bingham, Muhammad Ali's longtime photographer, biographer and friend, died on December 15, 2016 at the age of 77.

image.jpg

Bingham and Ali 

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/18288327/howard-bingham-lifelong-friend-photographer-muhammad-ali-dies-age-77

Bingham appeared as  himself in "The Greatest," the 1977 biopic in which Ali re-created his life and career.

The Emmy Award-winning actor Jeffrey Wright (pictured below) portrayed Bingham -- opposite Will Smith as the three-time heavyweight champ -- in Michael Mann's "Ali" (2001). 

545351_1.1.jpg

• Like 1

Yesterday, I posted in my Debbie Reynolds obituary that 2016 was the worst years of our lives. (I posted that in pure sadness, not as a joke.)

I miss Gene Wilder, David Bowie, Alan Rickman, Doria Roberts, Joe Santos, Ann Morgan Guilbert, Anton Yelchin, Gloria DeHaven, Richard Davalos, Hugh O'Brian, Van Williams, Carrie Fisher, and Debbie Reynolds. But the one that hit me the hardest in the worst years of our lives is Robert Vaughn. This talented, suave, and awesome man had something special none of the others mentioned above had.

RIP Darling :(

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/29/27/05/2927058497f2233be6b3d6172e380394.jpg

• Like 1

Yesterday, I posted in my Debbie Reynolds obituary that 2016 was the worst years of our lives. (I posted that in pure sadness, not as a joke.)

I miss Gene Wilder, David Bowie, Alan Rickman, Doria Roberts, Joe Santos, Ann Morgan Guilbert, Anton Yelchin, Gloria DeHaven, Richard Davalos, Hugh O'Brian, Van Williams, Carrie Fisher, and Debbie Reynolds. But the one that hit me the hardest in the worst years of our lives is Robert Vaughn. This talented, suave, and awesome man had something special none of the others mentioned above had.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/29/27/05/2927058497f2233be6b3d6172e380394.jpg

If they can't insert Debbie into the TCM Remembers montage, it should be scrapped altogether.

• Like 2

If they can't insert Debbie into the TCM Remembers montage, it should be scrapped altogether.

It would be nice to see Debbie in the montage, but it has already been updated twice. Since it is so close to the end of the worst years of our lives, I don't know if whoever who made the montage would want to put Debbie in now or wait until the following December. You never know WHAT anyone is thinking.

• Like 1

It would be nice to see Debbie in the montage, but it has already been updated twice. Since it is so close to the end of the worst years of our lives, I don't know if whoever who made the montage would want to put Debbie in now or wait until the following December. You never know WHAT anyone is thinking.

She is by far the biggest death this year, so showing it without her in it would be odd.

• Like 1

She is by far the biggest death this year, so showing it without her in it would be odd.

I just finished watching Bullitt. (Good movie by the way). TCM Remembers was shown again right before Bullitt came on, and it was the updated one with Carrie Fisher. Unfortunately, it was not updated to include Debbie Reynolds. Otherwise, she would have been included already. Like I said earlier, you never know WHAT anyone is thinking.

• Like 1

Rob Kardashian was rushed to the hospital.  He was treated (a diabetic condition) and released.  For a moment there was hope that karma would even things out for 2016, but no, they are all still alive and with us.

(I apologize for the ghoulish humor).

• Like 1

The biggest movie star, yes. And therefore, I think Debbie deserves a "filler" spot of her own. And it would be bad taste to air Carrie's wonderful tribute! (although I bet they'd both howl with laughter watching from heaven)

I think it would be sweet & fitting if TCM could create a single tribute honoring both of them.

I just finished watching Bullitt. (Good movie by the way). TCM Remembers was shown again right before Bullitt came on, and it was the updated one with Carrie Fisher. Unfortunately, it was not updated to include Debbie Reynolds. Otherwise, she would have been included already. Like I said earlier, you never know WHAT anyone is thinking.

Carrie Fisher may not even belong in this. Her career didn't begin until the later '70s.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings