Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actress Debbie Reynolds (1932-2016)

jakeem

I had just written here Debbie wouldn't be with us much longer. I just had the feeling Carrie's death would be the final straw.

A hugely talented actress and performer, Reynolds' only Oscar nomination was for The Unsinkable Molly Brown. She deserved nominations for Singin' in the Rain, Mother, and The Catered Affair.

She was nominated for an Emmy, a Tony, 5 Golden Globes and never won anything. She did win the National Board of Review award in 1956 for The Catered Affair.

She had a #1 record with "Tammy."

She replaced Lauren Bacall in Broadway's "Woman of the Year" in 1983.

She never stopped working. I hope the 2016 documentary Bright Lights gets released soon on DVD.

I had just written here Debbie wouldn't be with us much longer. I just had the feeling Carrie's death would be the final straw.

A hugely talented actress and performer, Reynolds' only Oscar nomination was for The Unsinkable Molly Brown. She deserved nominations for Singin' in the Rain, Mother, and The Catered Affair.

She was nominated for an Emmy, a Tony, 5 Golden Globes and never won anything. She did win the National Board of Review award in 1956 for The Catered Affair.

She never stopped working. I hope the 2016 documentary Bright Lights gets released soon on DVD.

She had been in fragile health for some time, and there have been reports that she suffered some mini-strokes this year. 

In 2015, she was honored with the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award -- which is an Oscar statuette -- for her charitable work. She was unable to attend the Academy's Governors Awards because of health problems, and her granddaughter Billie Lourd accepted the honor for her.

Billie-Lourd--753x502.jpg

She was also on Broadway in Debbie, a revue; and in a revival of the musical Irene, in which she appeared with George S. Irving, who died on Monday.

I only just turned on the computer & saw this one

HOW OFF-THE-WALL & BIZARRE THAT DEBBIE WENT, LIKE ONE DAY LATER???

But, I barely had time to see how?

Words can't sum this one up

She was also on Broadway in Debbie, a revue; and in a revival of the musical Irene, in which she appeared with George S. Irving, who died on Monday.

To Swithin, I didn't get a chance to ever read what you wrote about Debbie not being around much longer?

Personally, I never really even thought about Carrie Fisher. Not a huge "SW" fanatic,etc

But, Debbie was on quite another level!

I'll always recall when she tried to persuade K. Kirkorian not to auction off the grandest of all

Drea, Factories' in M-G-M & even suggested it could be another "Disneyland'

& got memorabilia for her own Vegas show

I'll always recall when she tried to persuade K. Kirkorian not to auction off the grandest of all

Drea, Factories' in M-G-M & even suggested it could be another "Disneyland'

& got memorabilia for her own Vegas show

To me, this showed that Hollywood had served Debbie and she was going to reciprocate and serve Hollywood and its history in return. Not many people had that kind of relationship with the movie-making process. She did. 

What I admired about Debbie Reynolds was her toughness during adverse situations. When her second and third husbands blew her money and left her in debt, she went to work. She even wound up auctioning some of her priceless Hollywood memorabilia to get out of the red.

20110204-debbie-reynolds-1-600x411.jpg

Reynolds shows talk show host Oprah Winfrey a famous movie dress in 2011

In an interesting and somewhat unsettling coincidence, both Carrie and Debbie had released new books last month on November 22.  Then they die only 1 day apart? 

I am so sad.  I'm having a Debbie Reynolds movie marathon.  I just watched Singin' in the Rain last week, so right now I'm watching The Tender Trap.  

In an interesting and somewhat unsettling coincidence, both Carrie and Debbie had released new books last month on November 22.  Then they die only 1 day apart? 

I am so sad.  I'm having a Debbie Reynolds movie marathon.  I just watched Singin' in the Rain last week, so right now I'm watching The Tender Trap.  

Glad you mentioned the books. In 1993, when I was in college, I had gone with a friend one afternoon to the mall in Century City. We had done a bunch of shopping and my feet were killing me. My friend and I were heading into the cafe area, and several people were hurrying into a nearby bookstore. I remember asking a security guard what was going on, and he said Debbie Reynolds & Carrie Fisher had just arrived and were signing copies of Carrie's latest book (which was based on both of them). I toyed with the idea of going over there, but was tired and wanted some Ben & Jerry's ice cream. My friend and I continued into the cafe and sat down. I had intended to finish the ice cream and walk back to the bookstore but never did. So I am going to have to find a copy of the book and read it now:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-12-28%2Bat%2B8.51.0

A few years back I got a chance to read Debbie's autobiography. I always knew that she had adversity in her life but actually reading about it in chronological order, it just really made you think twice.....

Thing that always made me sad about her was what happened with the second husband-- how he was supposed to be so rich and well-connected but he ended up stealing all of her money and she had to start all over again.

But she did with Irene on Broadway and with her hard work in Las Vegas.

I think what made Debbie so disciplined in Show Business was the fact that she had to learn to tap dance in about 9 to 12 weeks in order to perform in Singin' in the Rain.

Debbie had to dance alongside Donald O'Connor, who had been tap dancing since he was a baby in Vaudeville and Gene Kelly who had been tap dancing just about all his life too.

My favorite story about Debbie Reynolds is what happened to her when Gene Kelly interviewed her for the movie--

She couldn't do a Time step so he asked her, "can you at least do a Maxi Ford?" Debbie looked at him with a quizzical face and said:" what kind of car is that?" Gene freaked out and said this will never work. And then the weeks went by and all of his assistants worked on Debbie.

He periodically would check in to see her "progress" and just tell her to get back in the studio-- I don't want to see you again for 2 more weeks.

At this point, it was Fred Astaire who stepped in on the studio lot at MGM. And he told Debbie that she would be all right; she just had to stay in there. What a great beginning to a musical comedy career!

For years Debbie and Leslie Caron, who had also worked with Gene Kelly in her first musical, had a very negative attitude towards Gene. Frank Sinatra had also been taught to tap dance by Gene in order to co-star with him in the musicals at MGM. Frank had been a professional band singer for years, but he actually walked off the lot one day because he couldn't take it anymore.

But eventually Debbie (as well as Leslie and Frank) came to appreciate all that Gene Kelly had done for her. She later said she truly owed the Everlasting part of her career to Gene Kelly because through the discipline of tap dancing she learned the discipline, both physical and psychological, needed to maintain her career in an ever-changing Show Business atmosphere.

What I liked best about Debbie Reynolds was that she had such zest for life in her screen roles, like Susan Slept Here and Singin' in the Rain. After Two Weeks with Love, where Debbie did Abba Dabba Honeymoon, Louis B. Mayer decided he was going to make her a star because he could see that she had some quality that the people would just love.

It's understated to say that she's the last of her breed because she was a product of not just any studio star system, but MGM's. The only survivors that come to my mind who are stars is Angela Lansbury, who is older, and Margaret O'Brien, who is younger.

I honestly believe that had Debbie not have this maternal tragedy she would still be with us today because I don't think anything else could have taken her out before her time.

Debbie was very versatile in musical comedy, drama and variety. At one time she had a TV show and what I remember best about it were her imitations of Zsa Zsa Gabor. That was typical of Debbie's versatile talent.

And I still think that Debbie's greatest achievement was how successful she was in raising Carrie and Todd Fisher on our own, especially in the atmosphere that she had to raise them in. She wanted to have more children but she never could. Yet at the same time, she was quite a mother, who also helped to raise stepchildren.

When I think of Debbie I will always think of that last scene in Singin' in the Rain and then with the closing music You Are My Lucky Star.

And that's how I will remember Debbie, she was our lucky star.

Debbie will get a 24-hour tribute on TCM.  They haven't yet released the day or the schedule, but have announced plans to honor Debbie.

TCM has released their "TCM Remembers" video for Debbie.  Right now I only saw it on Facebook, but I'm sure it'll be on the channel in the coming days.

https://www.facebook.com/tcmtv/videos/10154760682540396/

Ah that photo of Billie brings tears to my eyes-she is such a DIRECT line of talent-from Carrie-from Debbie. I hope she goes on to an illustrious career and touches as many lives as her forebears.

Billie-Lourd--753x502.jpg

I have read every book Debbie wrote, and every book Carrie wrote (up until these two new ones) and my absolute favorite was the one about the train trip to Texas. (of course I can't recall which book it is!)

Debbie wanted to take her family to her birthplace in Texas, and Carrie had brought her currant squeeze along. Well, Carrie got pregnant on that trip with Billie and the story surrounding their relationship was most moving aspect of the book. Billie is the product of greatness, all the best in your life sweetie!

Princess of Tap wrote beautifully her impressions of Debbie's successes & talents.

I was lucky enough to have met Debbie about 15 years ago, backstage at a show. She was tiny and very sweet & accommodating to her fans. We talked a bit about her costume collection which was still in limbo at the time. We also talked about Carrie's writing and my admiration for her far and above her Star Wars role. Of course I included my amazement at Debbie's vitality in her performance-which was OUTSTANDING. 

Debbie seemed delighted that someone was talking to her about the present, instead of past achievements....although I made sure to mention it must be fulfilling to know she has touched many lives with her work over such a long period of time. She replied, "I can't think about that - it boggles my MIND..... how old I am!"

And yes, she started her show by saying, "I'm Princess Leia's Mother!" which of course, got a big laugh. When I turned on the computer this morning & saw the headline: "Carrie Fisher's Mother, Debbie Reynolds dies", I had to laugh through the tears.

I was lucky enough to see Debbie and Donald O'Conner together in their " 2 man show " in the early 1990's. They were both wonderful and full of humor. I remember whenever Debbie laughed she snorted. It was hilarious!

As a teenager, I looked up to ladies like her and Marge Champion because I had the same body type as them: short and athletic. Too bad I could never dance like them, though.

Debbie was indeed a grand lady.

Really sorry to hear that Debbie Reynolds died.

I met her a long time ago in 1976 at the San Francisco Int'l Airport while we were waiting at a baggage claim terminal.

We were the last two passengers to get our stuff long after all the others were gone.

When i saw her she looked familiar,but couldn't figure out why or from where.She was absolutely gorgeous.

I guess she saw me looking at her cuz she walked right up to me,a very nervous long haired hippy freak,and introduced herself.

Yup that's right...she just walked right up to me like an old friend and said "Hi,my name is Debbie Reynolds"...my legs became like rubber....I almost fainted...

I couldn't believe she would walk right up to a stranger like me.Heck i could've bin some kind of creep,but she did it anyway.

After i got over the shock of it all we talked and had a nice little conversation for about half an hour til our baggage finally came thru,but can't remember everything we talked about cuz that was 40 years ago.

She didn't act anything like i thought a movie star would act.No ego no snobbishness,just a real nice woman with a Lot of Class.....I was in shock!!

A nicer more friendly and Beautiful woman both inside and out i have Never met....Ever.

Debbie was so pleasant to sit with/be around that i felt real loss when we went our separate ways.

So sad to hear of her passing.

But at least i do have my memory of our chance meeting.

G'bye Debbie...RIP...i'll Never forget You. :(

Archived